"They Made Them Speak English Only at Home"

That might be a slight possibility, all those so called "immigrants" that just speak Spanish pretend they are still in Mexico, that sort of bullshit pisses the rest of us off. Plenty of immigrants from Europe learned English and acclimated, they even payed lawyers and various fees to get in here, too. It is amazing, isn't it? Mexicans can't DO THAT? WHY NOT? Why are we enabling Hispanic illegals?

....And being that illegal aliens won't learn English.....

That's not true.
Yes it is.
So many Walmart shoppers bumbling around speaking Spanish pretending they are still in Mexico. Mexicans and their handlers are sooo good at ignoring English and Americans, probably why we Americans are so antagonized and angry at "Hispanic" immigrants, think?

There we go. Always comes back to your hatred of Mexicans.

So many Walmart shoppers ....... speaking Spanish pretending they are still in Mexico. .....

Are these shoppers speaking to you? If not, what the hell business is it of yours?

How does speaking Spanish mean "pretending they are still in Mexico"? ??? You do know that Mexico is not the world's only Spanish-speaking country, right?

... we Americans are so antagonized and angry at "Hispanic" immigrants,

Are you "pretending" to speak for all Americans now?

Do you realize that lots of Americans speak Spanish, and may even dare to do so in your exulted presence?

... Plenty of immigrants from Europe learned English and acclimated, they even payed lawyers and various fees to get in here, too......

And lots of immigrants from all over the world are doing the same today.

In another thread someone actually made this (false) claim in one of those "immigrants used to be good, but now they scare me" posts.

Are there still people out there who even think such an approach would be a good idea?

My mother's great grandmother thought it was a good idea.

Probably not.

Again, I'm not following. I assure you it was the case that when my mother's family arrived in America no so long ago, the matriarch decided everyone would assimilate by not speaking German and by joining the local Episcopalian church despite it not being the religion on which they were raised. I heard this directly from the people that where there.

Why are you not believing this?

In another thread someone actually made this (false) claim in one of those "immigrants used to be good, but now they scare me" posts.

Are there still people out there who even think such an approach would be a good idea?

Probably not.

Again, I'm not following. I assure you it was the case that when my mother's family arrived in America no so long ago, the matriarch decided everyone would assimilate by not speaking German and by joining the local Episcopalian church despite it not being the religion on which they were raised. I heard this directly from the people that where there.

Because it's a myth.

There were those who sought assimilation and invested heavily in their families and worked for success to achieve the American Dream. The welfare state ushered in by LBJ's Great Society brought in another "class" of immigrants who figured there was free stuff to be had that their own countries could not offer.

These Johnny-Come-Latelys did not immigrate with the intention of quick assimilation into American society for that very obvious reason. A self-righteous prick like Unk will invariably rage at the thought, but that does not make it any less true.

There were those who sought assimilation and invested heavily in their families and worked for success to achieve the American Dream. .....

Just like today.

Probably not.

Because it's a myth.

Never pegged you for one of those that believes he knows what's in the hearts and minds of others...like Progressives tend to think. You're calling me and my family liars with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Also a tactic of social justice warriors and other meddlers. That's some company you're keeping.

I can only surmise YOU are the liar. Never thought I'd put you on ignore, but there's little else to do with lying trolls. Just can't believe you'd stoop to such a level. Guess I pegged you incorrectly. Sad.

They sure as hell did. .....

Nope. Some few anomalous cases aside, the fairy tale of "you shall not speak Italian in this house!" from parents who spoke only Italian themselves (for example) did not - of course - happen. The inevitable success of the children or second generation in acquiring English became, over time, part of a family myth clung to by generations far removed. Young children who came here/come here eventually and inevitably learned English. The parents, depending on their age, circumstances, and prior education will eventually acquire English to an extent, but not often full fluency. If the family arrives with grandparents, they usually say "screw it" and rely on their grandchildren for interpretation. By a second generation, fluency is almost always achieved (then as now), and by the third most speak English only at home as a matter of course.
Bullshit. My mother was FORBIDDEN to learn Portuguese. Her father grew up with English, her grandparents learned English.

...the ones whose parents had them speak English when they got here......

They didn't. That's a myth. The process of language acquisition and generational family dynamic throughout assimilation is essentially the same today as it has always been.
Agreed...adult immigrants speaking homeland language...little English...2nd gen kids speak English at school and in the street...but aren't really fluent in either language...3rd Gen English only...may not be able to communicate well with grandparents.
My immigrant wife speaks fluent English, mostly notable for NOT having any New England accent. Her father speake equally-fluent English, though with a notable accent. Her best friend immigrated as an adult and speaks fluent, slightly-accented English. Care to jam your OTHER foot in your mouth?

Last edited:
...the ones whose parents had them speak English when they got here......

They didn't. That's a myth. The process of language acquisition and generational family dynamic throughout assimilation is essentially the same today as it has always been.
Agreed...adult immigrants speaking homeland language...little English...2nd gen kids speak English at school and in the street...but aren't really fluent in either language...3rd Gen English only...may not be able to communicate well with grandparents.
My immigrant wife speaks fluent English, mostly notable for NOT having any New England accent. Her father speake equally-fluent English, though with a notable accent. Her best friend immigrated as an adult and speaks fluent, slightly-accented English. Care to jam your OTHER foot in your mouth?

None of that has anything to do with the topic.

They sure as hell did. .....

Nope. Some few anomalous cases aside, the fairy tale of "you shall not speak Italian in this house!" from parents who spoke only Italian themselves (for example) did not - of course - happen. The inevitable success of the children or second generation in acquiring English became, over time, part of a family myth clung to by generations far removed. Young children who came here/come here eventually and inevitably learned English. The parents, depending on their age, circumstances, and prior education will eventually acquire English to an extent, but not often full fluency. If the family arrives with grandparents, they usually say "screw it" and rely on their grandchildren for interpretation. By a second generation, fluency is almost always achieved (then as now), and by the third most speak English only at home as a matter of course.
Bullshit. My mother was FORBIDDEN to learn Portuguese. .....

That's stupid, but also has nothing to do with the topic.

Probably not.

Because it's a myth.

Never pegged you for one of those that believes he knows what's in the hearts and minds of others...like Progressives tend to think. You're calling me and my family liars with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Also a tactic of social justice warriors and other meddlers. That's some company you're keeping.

I can only surmise YOU are the liar. Never thought I'd put you on ignore, but there's little else to do with lying trolls. Just can't believe you'd stoop to such a level. Guess I pegged you incorrectly. Sad.

You seem to have something incorrect.

Everyone knows how reliable " back in my day" stories are. Now take it back two or three generations and.....

If two people are not native or highly fluent English speakers but speak the same L1, the chances of them never speaking their L1 to each other in their own home is extremely unlikely.

If those two people have a child and neglect the L1 in their raising of the child throughout the critical period, that child may eventually abandon the family heritage language for affective reasons. However, if that child is raised in the environment of the parents L1 (which will likely be the case given the circumstances outlined above), in early childhood but transitioned to English (the L2 at that point) before establishing a base level of literacy in the L1, it may impede the child's English acquisition upon enrolling in formal schooling.

Forum List

Back