"They Made Them Speak English Only at Home"

Unko, you think it's a bad thing to want everyone to be able to communicate with each other? Why? I had to help a Hispanic gal running away from her abusive boyfriend, he would have killed us both. There is sort of a international language there you wouldn't understand. But it might have made things a little easier if she spoke freeinkin ENGLISH!

In another thread someone actually made this (false) claim in one of those "immigrants used to be good, but now they scare me" posts.

Are there still people out there who even think such an approach would be a good idea?

My mother's great grandmother thought it was a good idea.

What am I missing?

Unko, you think it's a bad thing to want everyone to be able to communicate with each other? ..!

Leaving aside the fact you immediately contradict yourself, did I say what you are claiming I said?

... There is sort of a international language there you wouldn't understand. ...

It is extremely unlikely there is anything about language you understand better than I.

...the ones whose parents had them speak English when they got here......

They didn't. That's a myth. The process of language acquisition and generational family dynamic throughout assimilation is essentially the same today as it has always been.
Agreed...adult immigrants speaking homeland language...little English...2nd gen kids speak English at school and in the street...but aren't really fluent in either language...3rd Gen English only...may not be able to communicate well with grandparents.

Our Russian teacher was born here to 2 people that came from Russia. He spoke English as well as any body else in town. Well enough to teach Russian< that he knew very well, in our high school. None of the 1st. generation children of the immigrants in the valley even had an accent. Their parents did have accents but were able to speak English and read it and write it. They were taught here, by their children speaking it in the home. THAT is why the parents wanted them to speak English at home. Not as some form of punishment as you have twisted it. Those are the immigrants of old.
The illegals of today are not the same. The immigrants of old were very proud to become legal citizens. That is not what is crossing our border today. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Unko, you think it's a bad thing to want everyone to be able to communicate with each other? ..!

Leaving aside the fact you immediately contradict yourself, did I say what you are claiming I said?
So WHAT are you saying, lets un-muddy the water here. Disambiguate the ambiguity. All those illegals that wont learn English and flaunt it in our faces and that isn't disrespectful? Like a little kid that refuses to be potty trained and just poops where ever he wants? Spanish speakers are like THAT. They AREN'T 3 YEAR OLDS. .Hispanics can learn English . Get over it and grow up. Please.

Last edited:
... There is sort of a international language there you wouldn't understand. ...

It is extremely unlikely there is anything about language you understand better than I.

You had to have others make the correlation between Edison and light, Ford and automobiles, and Graham and phones, but your going to school me? LOL. I don't think so...
images

You had to have others make the correlation between Edison and light, Ford and automobiles, and Graham and phones, but your going to school me? LOL. I don't think so...
images
What language did your great grand parents speak before they immigrated here? But you still post in English on this board, because you want to communicate here. My take away from Spanish only speakers, disrespect, and they don't care what you or I have to say in English . They are so disrespectful, and you think THEY care what YOU think? They are like QUE? Spanish is a new language here in the US. I will be damned if I learn Spanish just to enable illegal aliens. Not happening.

images
What language did your great grand parents speak before they immigrated here? But you still post in English on this board, because you want to communicate here. My take away from Spanish only speakers, disrespect, and they don't care what you or I have to say in English . They are so disrespectful, and you think THEY care what YOU think? They are like QUE? Spanish is a new language here in the US. I will be damned if I learn Spanish just to enable illegal aliens. Not happening.
What Spanish speakers are you referring to? Immigrants? 1st gen? 2nd gen?

... THAT is why the parents wanted them to speak English at home. .....

What the parents wanted very likely had little to do with it. The couple undoubtedly spoke to each other in Russian. The children acquired English from living in the US and attending school. As they get older, many such children begin to resist the family's heritage language when they reach an age of self-consciousness about what they see as 'fitting in' with their native-born peers. As young adults, many will regret what they have lost but profit from what they have gained.

There is something broken about our culture if we have to enable non English speaking foreigners, and their religion that would destroy our culture. Why are we doing this? Unko wants to enable these invaders, why?

..... All those illegals that wont learn English and flaunt it in our faces and that isn't disrespectful?......

This is what comes from seeing yourself as a poor little victim all the time. Where an individual may be in the process of acquiring English has nothing to do with oh-so-important you. Really.

Forum List

Back