Theosophy

Madame Blavatsky and her teaching of Theosophy and the perceptions of the carnated spirit is somewhat how certain Jesuit sects perceived the process, but not the Michaeline sects.
I don’t believe in a literal physical soul or spirit I teach that you reflect the ESSENCE/nature about you not form type spirit.
You do this by leaving your will or works or ideas that get emulated and manifested, but not literally pass on a physical ghostly spirit.
This is why malakh or son of G0d means reflections of G0d which is not a form.
The Creator of creation has an essence/nature that we reflect and thus can manifest in being in line with that will and ways.
The children of Israel who follow that non form G0d (an essence not a figure or physical form) are called sons of G0d for reflecting that essence of life (the creation). To be THE SON or TOP (arch) son arch malakh is to say you reflect that nature of the creation more then others and thus manifest that essence. But also the role is to describe what that essence is so we understand our creation and our purpose and our direction better as well as understand right and wrong through this understanding based on knowing the will of G0d (the way of creation).
Basically Religion is still a philosophy, man’s quest to understand his life, his creation, his purpose and place in this world, thus Moshiach is another term for one finding that essence and best describing and bringing it to light in this world. (To Enlighten us means to end the darkness-end of our ignorance of our purpose, place and direction in life).
Where we lift the veil and finally grasp the way things are.

We are forbidden to teach a Soul flying life(Ezekiel 13:20-22) outside of this existence/creation.

The soul is eternal in that the essense of one's knowledge and persona can be passed on in logic and ideas and formed ethics and opinions, through writing and shared learning one exists again as a replica of that original thinking being. Now body and soul, being eternal, is a possibility.......
soul has three garments: thought, speech, and action.
In our world, the World of Action, the soul, which is spiritual in nature, does not have the means to give expression to thought, speech, or action unless it has a physical body in which it is united. Hence the Nepes breathed into the nostrals (body/vessel), the tree of life being your lungs that look like trees.

But you, friends and readers, you who aspire to something more than
the life of the squirrel everlastingly turning the same wheel; you who are
not content with the seething of the caldron whose turmoil results in
nothing; you who do not mistake the deaf echoes, as old as the world, for
the divine voice of truth; prepare yourselves for a future of which but
few in your midst have dared to dream, unless they have already entered
upon the path. For you have chosen a path that, although thorny at the
start, soon widens out and leads you to the divine truth. You are free to
doubt while still at the beginning of the way, you are free to decline to
accept on hearsay what is taught respecting the source and the cause of
that truth, but you are always able to hear what its voice is telling you,
and you can always study the effects of the creative force coming from
the depths of the unknown.

Blavatsky, "New Cycle" article.

TS Point Loma is now giving online lectures with Zoom study classes the following weeks. This format will go into 2022:

Freedom as the keynote of spiritual living:

Deeply sensible of the Titanic struggle that is now in progress between materialism and the spiritual aspirations of mankind, our constant endeavor has been to gather into our several chapters, like weapons into armories, every fact and argument that can be used to aid the latter in defeating the former. Sickly and deformed child as it now is, the materialism of To-Day is born of the brutal Yesterday. Unless its growth is arrested, it may become our master. It is the bastard progeny of the French Revolution and its reaction against ages of religious bigotry and repression. To prevent the crushing of these spiritual aspirations, the blighting of these hopes, and the deadening of that intuition which teaches us of a God and a hereafter, we must show our false theologies in their naked deformity, and distinguish between divine religion and human dogmas. Our voice is raised for spiritual freedom, and our plea made for enfranchisement from all tyranny, whether of SCIENCE or THEOLOGY.

Blavatsky, Isis Unveiled

We have no dogmas or creeds in the Theosophical Society nor in its work;
and thus it is that we have Hindu Theosophists, and Buddhist Theosophists,
and Christian Theosophists, and Mohammedan Theosophists, and Jewish
Theosophists, as well as other Theosophists who belong to no religion -
except to Theosophy as the RELIGION of religions. Hence it is our bounden
duty to cultivate in our hearts the spirit of brotherly love towards all
however much they may differ from us in philosophical and religious or
scientific opinions ; but while we are thus absolutely free as members in our
choice of religion and philosophy, we all hold to the primeval pre-requisite
of a Theosophist, which is a belief in Universal Brotherhood and an
adherence to the sublime ethics which Theosophy teaches.

Purucker, Wind of the Spirit

The Injunction of Pythagoras from his Golden Verses:

REMEMBER the rule laid down by Pythagoras. It has been quoted again
and again, but it loses none of its beauty and profundity by repetition. It
runs somewhat as follows:

"Let not the setting sun reach the western horizon, nor close thine eyes
in sleep, before thou hast gone over all the events of the day just past,
and hast asked thyself this question: What have I done today that has
been done amiss? What have I done today that has been done aright?
Have I injured anyone? Have I failed in my duty? Let not the setting
sun reach the western rim of space, nor let thine eyelids close in sleep ere
thou hast asked thyself these questions."

If only men and women would conscientiously follow that simple rule,
ninety-nine per cent. of the world's trouble, heartache, sin, and anxiety,
would be non-existent, would never happen. And the reason is simple. The
world's troubles arise from our weaknesses, not from our strength; and if
we would increase our strength, and do away with our weaknesses, every
human being thereafter, in proportion to his inner evolution, would become
a power for good in the world. And you see what that would mean. It cuts
at the tap-root of most of the thoughts and feelings and acts that bring
misery amongst us.

Wind of the Spirit by G. de Purucker

It is true that a man cannot force himself at once into a new will and into a new belief, but by thinking much on the same thing he soon gets a new will and a new belief, and from it will come strength and also light. Try this plan.

WQ Judge

Bhavanishankar Mullapoorcar was a disciple of Master KH:

THE RIGHT RESOLVE (Aryan Path, June 1930)

“Even if the man of most evil ways worship me with exclusive devotion, he is to be considered as righteous, for
he hath judged aright.” – Bhagavad-Gita, IX. 30.

Such verses as the above in the different scriptural books have been misinterpreted by the priest and purohit in
every age and clime. Every religion nowadays is presented to the world for its superior claims. The truly spiritual
man knows that all religions are true at their root and false as separated and separative factors.

The study of religions leads us to the eclectic nature of Religion. The Gita is an eclectic book. It is meant for all,
even for one “who may be of the womb of sin.” In the above Shloka it is not said that only a Brahman or an
Aryan who had judged aright must be considered righteous, but all, whoever and whatever they be, provided of
course that they “worship me” i.e., Krishna. But the Lord of Mystery was not ignorant that different men follow
diverse ways of worship. He refers to them in this very ninth discourse. He also says: “I am the Ego which is
seated in the hearts of all beings” (X. 20), including the man of most evil ways.

It is a well-known philosophical axiom that each one of us understands the universe in terms of his own power
of senses, of mind, or of heart. The resplendent universe does not exist for the blind; the laws of Nature exist not
for the lunatic; the good, the beautiful, the true exist not for the hard-hearted, the ugly tempered, and the selfish
individual. Thus also, we are able to cognize the nature of Krishna only by the aid of that Spirit in us which is
Himself. Thus we can see that it is the spirit of Krishna which in the true Christian is named the spirit of Christ,
and unless, it is said, the Christ be born in him, he may be a church-goer but not a Christian. A Buddhist may
repeat “I worship the Buddha”; unless the Tathagata light is lighted in his heart, he is not a true follower of the
Enlightened One.

Krishna is the Self within each one of us. The first step in spiritual evolution is the acknowledgement of that fact.
We may call it the Christ within, or the Buddha within; we may call ourselves “sons of Ahura Mazda” or
“servants of Allah”; we have to recognize that names matter little and the reality they represent means everything.

Just as a single idea can be expressed in any tongue, and in pictorial and symbolic ideographs, so also the Spirit
in man is one and the same though its shining forth in each is different according to the evolution of each human
being. There are men of evil ways in each religion and nation, and for them all a method is here presented.

If a man resolves aright he is to be considered righteous; and his resolve is true when he has taken to
“worshipping” Krishna. This is the first step: each person must begin to worship the Spirit of Deity which dwells
in his own heart. What is worship? – it is becoming worthy of relationship; to be united to the Divinity within is
the object of worship. We are in essence divine and spiritual. To succeed in transferring that divinity and
spirituality to the living, toiling, suffering man is the task set out before us, by the Gita. To be united to the
Higher Self is Yoga, and Yoga and worship are synonymous. So any man or woman who has resolved to listen to
the voice of his own conscience, to seek for the still small Voice of God in his own heart, to gain communion
with his own Higher Self, has judged and resolved rightly and is to be accounted righteous. In this doctrine is not
offered some vicarious atonement, some hope of distant heaven, to some special few. Here is more than hope –
certitude for each and every one, provided he exerts himself along the right line.

To sit in judgment over our lower self and to note all its foibles; to review its mischievous tendencies and correct
them; – this is the task each one of us must perform at the close of every day. This leads to right resolve and the
Great Light dawns in our consciousness as we repeat to ourselves the words of a Great Sage: “He who will not
find our truths in his soul and within himself, has poor chances of success in Occultism.” [Mahatma Letters 62]

B. M.

One of the smaller branches of the Theosophical movement is the TS Point Loma which was located south of San Diego from 1897 until about 1943. Here are some videos from 2011 giving background & history of the site:

Blavatsky on the Lotus symbol:

The Lotus, or Padma, is, moreover, a very ancient and favourite.
simile for the Kosmos itself, and also for man. The popular reasons
given are, firstly, the fact just mentioned, that the Lotus-seed contains
within itself a perfect miniature of the future plant, which typefies the
fact that the spiritual prototypes of all things exist in the immaterial
world before those things become materialised on Earth. Secondly, the
fact that the Lotus plant grows up through the water, having its root
in the Ilus, or mud, and spreading its flower in the air above. The
Lotus thus typifies the life of man and also that of the Kosmos ; for
the Secret Doctrine teaches that the elements of both are the same, and
that both are developing in the same direction. The root of the Lotus
sunk in the mud represents material life, the stalk passing up through
the water typifies existence in the astral world, and the flower floating
on the water and opening to the sky is emblematical of spiritual being.

The Secret Doctrine 1:57-8

Charles Johnston a Sanskrit scholar & friend of hers interviewed Blavatsky in 1887:

http://www.philaletheians.co.uk/study-notes/blavatsky-tributes/blavatsky-interviewed-by-charles-johnston.pd

About HPB's Master:
This is my Master,” she said, “whom we call Mahatma Morya. I have his picture here.”

And she showed me a small panel in oils. If ever I saw genuine awe and reverence in a human face, it was in hers, when she spoke of her Master. He was a Rajput by birth, she said, one of the old warrior race of the Indian desert, the finest and handsomest nation in the world. Her Master was a giant, six feet eight, and splendidly built; a superb type of manly beauty. Even in the picture, there is a marvellous power and fascination; the force, the fierceness even, of the face; the dark, glowing eyes, which stare you out of countenance; the clear-cut features of bronze, the raven hair and beard — all spoke of a tremendous individuality, a very Zeus in the prime of manhood and strength.
I asked her something about his age. She answered:

“My dear, I cannot tell you exactly, for I do not know. But this I will tell you. I met him first when I was twenty, — in 1851. He was in the very prime of manhood then. I am an old woman now, but he has not aged a day. He is still in the prime of manhood. That is all I can say. You may draw your own conclusions.”

HPB's Preface to her Key:

Preface​

The purpose of this book is exactly expressed in its title, "THE KEY TO THEOSOPHY," and needs but few words of explanation. It is not a complete or exhaustive text-book of Theosophy, but only a key to unlock the door that leads to the deeper study. It traces the broad outlines of the Wisdom Religion, and explains its fundamental principles; meeting, at the same time, the various objections raised by the average Western enquirer, and endeavouring to present unfamiliar concepts in a form as simple and in language as clear as possible. That it should succeed in making Theosophy intelligible without mental effort on the part of the reader, would be too much to expect; but it is hoped that the obscurity still left is of the thought not of the language, is due to depth not to confusion. To the mentally lazy or obtuse, Theosophy must remain a riddle; for in the world mental as in the world spiritual each man must progress by his own efforts. The writer cannot do the reader's thinking for him, nor would the latter be any the better off if such vicarious thought were possible. The need for such an exposition as the present has long been felt among those interested in the Theosophical Society and its work, and it is hoped that it will supply information, as free as possible from technicalities, to many whose attention has been awakened, but who, as yet, are merely puzzled and not convinced.

Some care has been taken in disentangling some part of what is true from what is false in Spiritualistic teachings as to the post-mortem life, and to showing the true nature of Spiritualistic phenomena. Previous explanations of a similar kind have drawn much wrath upon the writer's devoted head; the Spiritualists, like too many others, preferring to believe what is pleasant rather than what is true, and becoming very angry with anyone who destroys an agreeable delusion. For the past year Theosophy has been the target for every poisoned arrow of Spiritualism, as though the possessors of a half truth felt more antagonism to the possessors of the whole truth than those who had no share to boast of.

Very hearty thanks are due from the author to many Theosophists who have sent suggestions and questions, or have otherwise contributed help during the writing of this book. The work will be the more useful for their aid, and that will be their best reward. — H. P. B.

Many brilliant writings by late Raghavan Iyer - for example:

One of Plato's most well-known myths is the 'quaint parable' with which the Seventh Book of the Republic opens. In this allegory of the cave he intimated the teaching that there is a truth beyond sense, pertaining to the eternal noumena underlying earthly phenomena, a deeper realm of reality which cannot be adequately apprehended except by the philosopher who has been initiated into the Mysteries.

https://www.theosophytrust.org/771-the-allegory-of-the-cave

Your "belief" is irrelevant, if in fact man does possess a spirit.

And the belief the soul exists is irrelevant if humans do not possess spirits.

Why is it humans are incapable of saying that we don't know?

I don't know if there are gods or not. And personally, I don't care if there are gods or not.

I don't know if there are souls or not and personally I don't care if there are or not.

I would rather live my life leaving nothing on the table, nothing unsaid to my loved ones, nothing left in question to those I love and that love me. Then, IF there are no souls I will have lost nothing, but if there are I will have gained a soul with no regrets.

Forum List

Back