The Word "Critical" as Used in Critical Race Theory - Does It Mean Critical As In Serious or As Being Critical/Judgmental of Race Theory?

What does the word "Critical" in "Critcal Race Theory" mean to you?

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I ask because the first context in which I ever heard of the theory was about a bunch of parents freaking out and starting fights at school board meetings. Next was the passage of laws to forbid teaching it at all because it makes people feel bad allegedly about the things that members of their race have done throughout history which it turn makes them feel bad about themselves?

I tried looking into things further however what I was reading didn't really make sense in context of the hysteria. Just like the Tusla Race Riot/Massacre was not taught in school, neither did I find out who the Tuskegee Airmen were until I was in college and I had an actual family who was one, presumably because they were not referred to by that moniker back them. But both things are factual American history, even though they are black history.

Doesn't an attempt to whitewash history prevent the wounds from healing? Are is that part of the plan?
Is “critical race theory” a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy, or a divisive discourse that pits people of color against white people? Liberals and conservatives are in sharp disagreement.​
The topic has exploded in the public arena this spring—especially in K-12, where numerous state legislatures are debating bills seeking to ban its use in the classroom.​
In truth, the divides are not nearly as neat as they may seem. The events of the last decade have increased public awareness about things like housing segregation, the impacts of criminal justice policy in the 1990s, and the legacy of enslavement on Black Americans. But there is much less consensus on what the government’s role should be in righting these past wrongs. Add children and schooling into the mix and the debate becomes especially volatile.​
School boards, superintendents, even principals and teachers are already facing questions about critical race theory, and there are significant disagreements even among experts about its precise definition as well as how its tenets should inform K-12 policy and practice. This explainer is meant only as a starting point to help educators grasp core aspects of the current debate.​

Just what is critical race theory anyway?

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.​
The basic tenets of critical race theory, or CRT, emerged out of a framework for legal analysis in the late 1970s and early 1980s created by legal scholars Derrick Bell, Kimberlé Crenshaw, and Richard Delgado, among others.​
A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.​

Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.

Continued at the hyperlink...​

Try wikipedia:

Critical race theory (CRT) is a body of legal scholarship and an academic movement of civil-rights scholars and activists in the United States that seeks to critically examine U.S. law as it intersects with issues of race in the U.S. and to challenge mainstream American liberal approaches to racial justice.[1][2][3][4] CRT examines social, cultural and legal issues primarily as they relate to race and racism in the United States.[5][6]

Lots of history does not show up in junior high school history textbooks-----in fact
MOST does not.----OVERWHELMINGLY MOST. Of course there are INTEREST GROUPS---
for whom the history of their PARTICULAR GROUP IS THE ISSUE and their
grievances are the ONLY GRIEVANCES

Lots of history does not show up in junior high school history textbooks-----in fact
Really? I'm about as white as you can get, and the fact that our laws have systematically oppressed an entire race of people in opposition to what I was taught our country stands for is an ISSUE for me.

Really? I'm about as white as you can get, and the fact that our laws have systematically oppressed an entire race of people in opposition to what I was taught our country stands for is an ISSUE for me.
it's your ONLY issue in reference to world history? Do not be timid. The CRT
thing is NOT confined to the social and economic realities of USA history. It
encompasses ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY to a very narrow social model

Better yet, let’s establish what it’s not:

It’s not about claiming all whites are ‘racist.’

It’s not about dividing the American people along racial lines.

It is neither ‘anti-American’ nor ‘anti-white propaganda.’

It does not teach whites to be ashamed of their history or who they are.

It does not promote ‘political correctness,’ ‘social justice,’ or ‘cancel culture.’

It does not promote ‘political correctness,’ ‘social justice,’ or ‘cancel culture.’
thanks----and now for what it IS......... over to you C C jones

Critical Race Theory is legal theory that is taught in law schools. Crazy right wingers have lied and claim it is something it is not.

You're the one all upset about it. What exactly has you so upset? What do you think it is?

Critical Race Theory is legal theory that is taught in law schools. Crazy right wingers have lied and claim it is something it is not.
wrong--------in any law school pop quiz-----you would score ZERO

You're the one all upset about it. What exactly has you so upset? What do you think it is?
from where do you get that I (rosie) am "all upset" about "it'? Why do you
use terms that you cannot define?

wrong--------in any law school pop quiz-----you would score ZERO
Can you name a single K/12 school where it is being taught? I've ask this question before, and gotten lists of law schools, and links where crazy people are ranting about it at school board meetings, but not one K/12 school where it is actually taught.

from where do you get that I (rosie) am "all upset" about "it'? Why do you
use terms that you cannot define?
I've seen the school board rants. Crazy right wingers are upset by Critical Race Theory, and you are definitely a crazy right winger.

I ask because the first context in which I ever heard of the theory was about a bunch of parents freaking out and starting fights at school board meetings. Next was the passage of laws to forbid teaching it at all because it makes people feel bad allegedly about the things that members of their race have done throughout history which it turn makes them feel bad about themselves?

I tried looking into things further however what I was reading didn't really make sense in context of the hysteria. Just like the Tusla Race Riot/Massacre was not taught in school, neither did I find out who the Tuskegee Airmen were until I was in college and I had an actual family who was one, presumably because they were not referred to by that moniker back them. But both things are factual American history, even though they are black history.

Doesn't an attempt to whitewash history prevent the wounds from healing? Are is that part of the plan?
Is “critical race theory” a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy, or a divisive discourse that pits people of color against white people? Liberals and conservatives are in sharp disagreement.​
The topic has exploded in the public arena this spring—especially in K-12, where numerous state legislatures are debating bills seeking to ban its use in the classroom.​
In truth, the divides are not nearly as neat as they may seem. The events of the last decade have increased public awareness about things like housing segregation, the impacts of criminal justice policy in the 1990s, and the legacy of enslavement on Black Americans. But there is much less consensus on what the government’s role should be in righting these past wrongs. Add children and schooling into the mix and the debate becomes especially volatile.​
School boards, superintendents, even principals and teachers are already facing questions about critical race theory, and there are significant disagreements even among experts about its precise definition as well as how its tenets should inform K-12 policy and practice. This explainer is meant only as a starting point to help educators grasp core aspects of the current debate.​

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.​
The basic tenets of critical race theory, or CRT, emerged out of a framework for legal analysis in the late 1970s and early 1980s created by legal scholars Derrick Bell, Kimberlé Crenshaw, and Richard Delgado, among others.​
A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.​
Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.​

I have been teaching elementary school for better than two decades. I have never had a parent upset that I have taught episodes that are not flattering to our past: slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, civil rights, etc. I have never even heard of such a thing from any teacher about any parent.

CRT is upsetting/offensive because it goes beyond teaching history--which is appropriate and sound--to applying the "theory" to the individual identity of the child. Note: I said child. Not MY child, remember: I'm just the teacher. One way teachers do this is in what is loosely described as "struggle sessions" where students are broken up in classrooms by race (!!!). Or students are asked to give account for events according to their race. Or students are assigned their value according to their race: well, you are white so you are an oppressor; you are black so you are victimized.

Beyond even arguing whether this is TRUE, minor children are in no way prepared to be labeled with these identifiers AND we are not their parents. It's not our job to walk children through these kind of labels. Teachers should present information, ask questions, and lead discussions, but not tread into waters like this. It's wholly inappropriate and is fundamentally disrespectful to the students we are charged to mentor.

Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.​

I have been teaching elementary school for better than two decades. I have never had a parent upset that I have taught episodes that are not flattering to our past: slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, civil rights, etc. I have never even heard of such a thing from any teacher about any parent.

CRT is upsetting/offensive because it goes beyond teaching history--which is appropriate and sound--to applying the "theory" to the individual identity of the child. Note: I said child. Not MY child, remember: I'm just the teacher. One way teachers do this is in what is loosely described as "struggle sessions" where students are broken up in classrooms by race (!!!). Or students are asked to give account for events according to their race. Or students are assigned their value according to their race: well, you are white so you are an oppressor; you are black so you are victimized.

Beyond even arguing whether this is TRUE, minor children are in no way prepared to be labeled with these identifiers AND we are not their parents. It's not our job to walk children through these kind of labels. Teachers should present information, ask questions, and lead discussions, but not tread into waters like this. It's wholly inappropriate and is fundamentally disrespectful to the students we are charged to mentor.
Critical Race Theory has nothing to do with so called "struggle sessions", dumb ass.

What is this weird Conservative disease that you all forget what you were like as children?

The idea that kids won't realize racism is a thing unless a teacher tells them that it's a thing? Really, SourSue?

The real problem is, America is different for people of color than it is for white people. Period. Full stop.

Critical Race Theory has nothing to do with so called "struggle sessions", dumb ass.

That is absolutely how it often manifests. You think a ridiculous thing like CRT is often carried out in some authentic, wonderful way? Please. Garbage in, garbage out

The race pimp's marketed CRT using the word "Theory" in order to make it sound like the concept was based on a legitimate scientific study of society.
When in reality, CRT is as bogus of a scientific theory as the study of Tarot cards or Numerology. ... :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back