The Word "Critical" as Used in Critical Race Theory - Does It Mean Critical As In Serious or As Being Critical/Judgmental of Race Theory?

What does the word "Critical" in "Critcal Race Theory" mean to you?

• Total voters
I ask because the first context in which I ever heard of the theory was about a bunch of parents freaking out and starting fights at school board meetings. Next was the passage of laws to forbid teaching it at all because it makes people feel bad allegedly about the things that members of their race have done throughout history which it turn makes them feel bad about themselves?

I tried looking into things further however what I was reading didn't really make sense in context of the hysteria. Just like the Tusla Race Riot/Massacre was not taught in school, neither did I find out who the Tuskegee Airmen were until I was in college and I had an actual family who was one, presumably because they were not referred to by that moniker back them. But both things are factual American history, even though they are black history.

Doesn't an attempt to whitewash history prevent the wounds from healing? Are is that part of the plan?
Is “critical race theory” a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy, or a divisive discourse that pits people of color against white people? Liberals and conservatives are in sharp disagreement.​
The topic has exploded in the public arena this spring—especially in K-12, where numerous state legislatures are debating bills seeking to ban its use in the classroom.​
In truth, the divides are not nearly as neat as they may seem. The events of the last decade have increased public awareness about things like housing segregation, the impacts of criminal justice policy in the 1990s, and the legacy of enslavement on Black Americans. But there is much less consensus on what the government’s role should be in righting these past wrongs. Add children and schooling into the mix and the debate becomes especially volatile.​
School boards, superintendents, even principals and teachers are already facing questions about critical race theory, and there are significant disagreements even among experts about its precise definition as well as how its tenets should inform K-12 policy and practice. This explainer is meant only as a starting point to help educators grasp core aspects of the current debate.​

Just what is critical race theory anyway?

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.​
The basic tenets of critical race theory, or CRT, emerged out of a framework for legal analysis in the late 1970s and early 1980s created by legal scholars Derrick Bell, Kimberlé Crenshaw, and Richard Delgado, among others.​
A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.​
Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.​
Continued at the hyperlink...​

I have been teaching elementary school for better than two decades. I have never had a parent upset that I have taught episodes that are not flattering to our past: slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, civil rights, etc. I have never even heard of such a thing from any teacher about any parent.

CRT is upsetting/offensive because it goes beyond teaching history--which is appropriate and sound--to applying the "theory" to the individual identity of the child. Note: I said child. Not MY child, remember: I'm just the teacher. One way teachers do this is in what is loosely described as "struggle sessions" where students are broken up in classrooms by race (!!!). Or students are asked to give account for events according to their race. Or students are assigned their value according to their race: well, you are white so you are an oppressor; you are black so you are victimized.

Beyond even arguing whether this is TRUE, minor children are in no way prepared to be labeled with these identifiers AND we are not their parents. It's not our job to walk children through these kind of labels. Teachers should present information, ask questions, and lead discussions, but not tread into waters like this. It's wholly inappropriate and is fundamentally disrespectful to the students we are charged to mentor.
Critical Race Theory has nothing to do with so called "struggle sessions", dumb ass.

That is absolutely how it often manifests. You think a ridiculous thing like CRT is often carried out in some authentic, wonderful way? Please. Garbage in, garbage out
You have chosen CRT to be blamed for every crazy race related slight you claim to be victim of. CRT is a legal theory taught in law schools. That is all it is. It is not some silly so called "struggle session" that I have never heard of. It isn't blaming today's people for slavery. It isn't all the crap you are trying to assign to it. If you have some absurd thing to complain about, either real or imagined, then go for it, but claiming all that crap is part of CRT is bullshit.

Next the racist CRT crowd will try to introduce the archaic pseudo science of Phrenology into the national conversation in order to further divide people based on the shape and size of the human skull to determine racial superiority. Which was the favorite scientific theory of the 3rd Reich leadership. ... :cool:

Next the racist CRT crowd will try to introduce the archaic pseudo science of Phrenology into the national conversation in order to further divide people based on the shape and size of the human skull to determine racial superiority. Which was the favorite scientific theory of the 3rd Reich leadership. ... :cool:
And the right will reinstate the "bubbles in a bar of soap" requirement for voting. This making up crazy shit is fun. Your turn again.

1625922280257.png

Lots of history does not show up in junior high school history textbooks-----in fact
MOST does not.----OVERWHELMINGLY MOST. Of course there are INTEREST GROUPS---
for whom the history of their PARTICULAR GROUP IS THE ISSUE and their
grievances are the ONLY GRIEVANCES
Really? I'm about as white as you can get, and the fact that our laws have systematically oppressed an entire race of people in opposition to what I was taught our country stands for is an ISSUE for me.
it's your ONLY issue in reference to world history? Do not be timid. The CRT
thing is NOT confined to the social and economic realities of USA history. It
encompasses ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY to a very narrow social model
Critical Race Theory is legal theory that is taught in law schools. Crazy right wingers have lied and claim it is something it is not.
wrong--------in any law school pop quiz-----you would score ZERO
Can you name a single K/12 school where it is being taught? I've ask this question before, and gotten lists of law schools, and links where crazy people are ranting about it at school board meetings, but not one K/12 school where it is actually taught.
what it IT?

Lots of history does not show up in junior high school history textbooks-----in fact
Really? I'm about as white as you can get, and the fact that our laws have systematically oppressed an entire race of people in opposition to what I was taught our country stands for is an ISSUE for me.
Critical Race Theory is legal theory that is taught in law schools. Crazy right wingers have lied and claim it is something it is not.
Can you name a single K/12 school where it is being taught? I've ask this question before, and gotten lists of law schools, and links where crazy people are ranting about it at school board meetings, but not one K/12 school where it is actually taught.
what it IT?
What do you think it is? I already said it is nothing more or less than a legal theory taught in law schools. It is not being taught in any K/12 school,

Try wikipedia:

Critical race theory (CRT) is a body of legal scholarship and an academic movement of civil-rights scholars and activists in the United States that seeks to critically examine U.S. law as it intersects with issues of race in the U.S. and to challenge mainstream American liberal approaches to racial justice.[1][2][3][4] CRT examines social, cultural and legal issues primarily as they relate to race and racism in the United States.[5][6]
Critical Race Theory----RACE PIMPS playing stupid games AGAIN...

what it IT?
What do you think it is? I already said it is nothing more or less than a legal theory taught in law schools. It is not being taught in any K/12 school,
a "legal theory" like "SUSPENSION OF HABEAS CORPUS" ????

I just want to point out this FACT.
I am a white female conservative.
56 years old, grew up in an inner city in Boston.
I was in 5th grade when forced bussing began. I lived through the horrors of the busses being stoned, kids thrown from bathroom windows, and kids on the busses carrying weapons such as switchblades and razorblades.
Been there, seen that.
I made a lot of friends in middle school of all ethnicities. My best friend was a black boy who used to help me with my homework after school at his house. I had a black female that was my arch enemy and would pick a fight at every corner I turned.
I never been racist even growing up in a predominantly white town. South Boston, Ma in fact. Some may know it as Southie.
I never saw color. It wasn't an issue. My parents were not racist. My dad had a black friend he worked with and he would come over on weekends and bring his son. We all played in the backyard, my brothers and I and this man's son.
Was there racism in Southie? Oh yeah, it was known that if you weren't white and you crossed the line, you was taking your life into your own hands. Same went for predominently black towns. If you was white and caught walking through them, same rule applied.
When the bussing started it caused a lot of people to be uncomfortable and angry.
Take a look at Southie today. I haven't been there in 20 years but I do follow things like ST. Patricks Day Parade and I still have a friend or two that live there. People grow up and move. I did. NH. FL. and now ME.
Southie is as diversified as it could be. People change. The unacceptable becomes acceptable. Old wounds heal and people learn how to rely on and survive together.
This CRT is absolute BS. Because it opens those old wounds and pours salt in them.
Having said ALL of that. I keep finding videos about schools teaching CRT and the ones speaking out AGAINST it the most are black people.
Why is that?

Hugs

Pretty funny stuff ... whities know no bounds on their racism ...

I didn't have to go far to find an example, from the Oregon State Constitution; Article II, Section 6; as ratified by Congress in 1859:
"No Negro, Chinaman, or Mulatto shall have the right of suffrage."
This provision was rendered "unenforceable" by the 15th Amendment to the US Constitution in 1870 ... and then removed for the Oregon Constitution in 1927 ...

It gets worse; Article I, Section 31:
"White foreigners who are, or may hereafter become residents of this State shall enjoy the same rights in respect to the possession, enjoyment, and descent of property as native born citizens. And the Legislative Assembly shall have power to restrain, and regulate the immigration to this State of persons not qualified to become Citizens of the United States"
Again, not removed from the Oregon Constitution until 1970 !!! ... "damn hippies" ...

Critical Race Theory was the legal theory that these types of legal provisions should be removed from the body of written law ... for the most part, they're all unenforceable by the US Constitution, so why keep them on the books? ... I agree with this as part of my broader opinion that many and regulations need a thorough examination and all conflicting rules be corrected by Congress ... not the President, not the Courts, but by Congress herself ... it's their job, why aren't they doing it? ... bitches ...

Glad to see this weaponized against racism ... Jim Crow need to be drug, hung and quartered ... and let him be remembered as the spawn of evil ...

Critical Race Theory was the legal theory that these types of legal provisions should be removed from the body of written law ... for the most part, they're all unenforceable by the US Constitution, so why keep them on the books? ... I agree with this as part of my broader opinion that many and regulations need a thorough examination and all conflicting rules be corrected by Congress ... not the President, not the Courts, but by Congress herself ... it's their job, why aren't they doing it? ... bitches ...
So why keep them on the books? Excellent question.
Why aren't they doing it? Another Excellent question.

Call your Representative or Senator and put their feet to the fire and get it done.
A lot of these politicians come and go in a few years. Others make a lifetime career out of it.
They have "other pressing issues" like how to put more money in their own pockets.

The only way to make changes is to go right to the State Legislature. Write up a petition demanding them to remove these laws that no longer apply. Get signatures from your community. Request an audience to talk about these things.
As an American citizen that is your Right, that is your Duty.

As a "whitie" if I lived in Oregon, you would get my signature.
Hugs

Call your Representative or Senator and put their feet to the fire and get it done.
A lot of these politicians come and go in a few years. Others make a lifetime career out of it.
They have "other pressing issues" like how to put more money in their own pockets.

The only way to make changes is to go right to the State Legislature. Write up a petition demanding them to remove these laws that no longer apply. Get signatures from your community. Request an audience to talk about these things.

Hugs

Umm ... the task is well underway ... I don't believe very much of it remains on the books ... the two sections I quoted above are removed from the State Constitution and are no longer printed with their inclusion ... the original text I posted was from the State Archives ...

Oregon is bluer than you ... folks here have been working on Critical Race Theory since the 1920's ... watching this unfold in the American South is just like a history re-enactment from The West's past ... this is what we argued about back in the 19th Century ...

Hugs

Umm ... the task is well underway ... I don't believe very much of it remains on the books ... the two sections I quoted above are removed from the State Constitution and are no longer printed with their inclusion ... the original text I posted was from the State Archives ...

Oregon is bluer than you ... folks here have been working on Critical Race Theory since the 1920's ... watching this unfold in the American South is just like a history re-enactment from The West's past ... this is what we argued about back in the 19th Century ...
Over here in Maine we're kind of purple.
:)
Hugs

Hugs

:)
Hugs

I have an ultra-right-wing militia friend there Down East ... you have the same problem as Oregon has, our respective Portlands dominate all State elections ... he tends to violence whenever the subject of your National Park comes up ... hundreds of trillions of dollars in timber assets just rotting away ... besides, how are we to see the natural beauty if there's trees in the way ...

Oregon's a few decades ahead of Maine ... so be warned, you will start seeing "get out and vote" campaigns in Spanish ...

I ask because the first context in which I ever heard of the theory was about a bunch of parents freaking out and starting fights at school board meetings. Next was the passage of laws to forbid teaching it at all because it makes people feel bad allegedly about the things that members of their race have done throughout history which it turn makes them feel bad about themselves?

I tried looking into things further however what I was reading didn't really make sense in context of the hysteria. Just like the Tusla Race Riot/Massacre was not taught in school, neither did I find out who the Tuskegee Airmen were until I was in college and I had an actual family who was one, presumably because they were not referred to by that moniker back them. But both things are factual American history, even though they are black history.

Doesn't an attempt to whitewash history prevent the wounds from healing? Are is that part of the plan?
Is “critical race theory” a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy, or a divisive discourse that pits people of color against white people? Liberals and conservatives are in sharp disagreement.​
The topic has exploded in the public arena this spring—especially in K-12, where numerous state legislatures are debating bills seeking to ban its use in the classroom.​
In truth, the divides are not nearly as neat as they may seem. The events of the last decade have increased public awareness about things like housing segregation, the impacts of criminal justice policy in the 1990s, and the legacy of enslavement on Black Americans. But there is much less consensus on what the government’s role should be in righting these past wrongs. Add children and schooling into the mix and the debate becomes especially volatile.​
School boards, superintendents, even principals and teachers are already facing questions about critical race theory, and there are significant disagreements even among experts about its precise definition as well as how its tenets should inform K-12 policy and practice. This explainer is meant only as a starting point to help educators grasp core aspects of the current debate.​

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.​
The basic tenets of critical race theory, or CRT, emerged out of a framework for legal analysis in the late 1970s and early 1980s created by legal scholars Derrick Bell, Kimberlé Crenshaw, and Richard Delgado, among others.​
A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.​
Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.​
Continued at the hyperlink...​

"critically examine U.S. law as it intersects with issues of race in the U.S"

The race pimp's marketed CRT using the word "Theory" in order to make it sound like the concept was based on a legitimate scientific study of society.
When in reality, CRT is as bogus of a scientific theory as the study of Tarot cards or Numerology. ... :cuckoo:

Prove it.

Better yet, let’s establish what it’s not:

It’s not about claiming all whites are ‘racist.’

It’s not about dividing the American people along racial lines.

It is neither ‘anti-American’ nor ‘anti-white propaganda.’

It does not teach whites to be ashamed of their history or who they are.

It does not promote ‘political correctness,’ ‘social justice,’ or ‘cancel culture.’

It would be quite the opposite.

"the basic tenets of CRT include that racism and disparate racial outcomes are the result of complex, changing and often subtle social and institutional dynamics rather than explicit and intentional prejudices on the part of individuals."

It is saying that racial outcomes ARE NOT due to individual prejudices that are explicit and intentional.

So, opponents what? Believe the opposite is true, that racism is caused by their intentional and explicit prejudices?

Just so I am clear about this.....

So, Senator Ted Cruz and House Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene believe that racism is the result of them being explicit and intentionally prejudice? Or is it their constituents that they believe are intentionally and explicitly racist?

Forum List

Back