The US Merchant Marine Fleet Is Dying

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
2959460-840x420.jpg

— And It May Hurt America’s Ability To Wage War Abroad

Most people have no idea such a thing exists. Just what is it and what does it do.

The United Merchant Marine basically steps up to carry personnel and supplies when situations call for mass movements of military stuff.

The once-mighty U.S. Merchant Marine fleet has nearly collapsed under the weight of high labor costs, zigzagging federal policies and intense competition from abroad, damaging America’s position as the only country in the world able to supply and sustain a long-distance war.

The U.S. Merchant Marine has declined from 1,288 international trading vessels in 1951 to 81 today.

It’s a matter of national security,” said Maritime Administration chief Mark H. Buzby, a retired Navy rear admiral.

And, here's the biggest danger:

In the 1991 Gulf War mobilization, the crews of 13 of the 192 foreign-flagged vessels carrying cargo rebelled and forced their ships away from the war zone.

More on this @ The US Merchant Marine Fleet Is Dying — And It May Hurt America's Ability To War Around The World

2959460-840x420.jpg

Most people have no idea such a thing exists. Just what is it and what does it do.

The United Merchant Marine basically steps up to carry personnel and supplies when situations call for mass movements of military stuff.

The once-mighty U.S. Merchant Marine fleet has nearly collapsed under the weight of high labor costs, zigzagging federal policies and intense competition from abroad, damaging America’s position as the only country in the world able to supply and sustain a long-distance war.

The U.S. Merchant Marine has declined from 1,288 international trading vessels in 1951 to 81 today.

It’s a matter of national security,” said Maritime Administration chief Mark H. Buzby, a retired Navy rear admiral.

In the 1991 Gulf War mobilization, the crews of 13 of the 192 foreign-flagged vessels carrying cargo rebelled and forced their ships away from the war zone.

More on this @ The US Merchant Marine Fleet Is Dying — And It May Hurt America's Ability To War Around The World

It's already dead. Mattson Lines is i think the only US flagged shipping line left. The unions killed all of the others.

It's already dead. Mattson Lines is i think the only US flagged shipping line left. The unions killed all of the others.

US Flag Fleet – Maersk Line, Limited

This is supposedly the list of US flagged carriers, but i know for certain (I have friends who work for them) that APL is now foreign flagged. Maybe this is some sort of legal fiction they have generated to be able to continue US military contracts.

https://www.marad.dot.gov/wp-content/uploads/pdf/MAR620.US_.Flag_.Carriers.pdf

This is supposedly the list of US flagged carriers, but i know for certain (I have friends who work for them) that APL is now foreign flagged. Maybe this is some sort of legal fiction they have generated to be able to continue US military contracts.

Yes APL is definitely foreign flagged... It appears that (APL) is a conglomerate of different container/transportation companies from all over the world... Majority of carriers that come into HNL are Maersk, Hapag-Lloyd and Matson... One of my interests is to watch them...

Yes APL is definitely foreign flagged... It appears that (APL) is a conglomerate of different container/transportation companies from all over the world... Majority of carriers that come into HNL are Maersk, Hapag-Lloyd and Matson... One of my interests is to watch them...
And whom do you pass this info on to?

2959460-840x420.jpg

Well I have no love for longshoreman unions- the only reason Matson survives is because the law requires that U.S. flagged ships service Hawaii and Guam and Puero Rico.

American crewed ships are more expensive- just like American crewed factories.

2959460-840x420.jpg

Well I have no love for longshoreman unions- the only reason Matson survives is because the law requires that U.S. flagged ships service Hawaii and Guam and Puero Rico.

American crewed ships are more expensive- just like American crewed factories.

I have quite a few friends who used to work for APL, who are now out of their jobs because the unions priced their work so high the APL moved to Asia from the SF Bay area. The longshoremans union is likewise putting them out of work too. It's bizarre for me to drive into the bay area and see only a couple of ships being offloaded. Instead, the ships are going to huge ports that are being built in Mexico and Canada. The longshoreman are toast.

2959460-840x420.jpg

Good point. The Maritime workers union merged with some other union in 01 and they couldn't get union workers to ship military supplies during the Gulf War. Who needs 'em?

Forum List

Back