The Success of the Big Lie

Usually when I see McCarthy's name mentioned, it is in connection with the Hollywood blacklist, which he had nothing to do with.

There were CPUSA members in DC and in Hollywood. They were sneaking, lying, conniving, weasly bullies. That they crumbled in the face of opposition, as much from Ronald Reagan as Joe McCarthy, does not make them harmless.

Don't take Samson at face,

he is fully aware of the threat posed by Communism of that era... he's just playing and refusing to accept all of my documentation.

Which is good, as it allows me to post info that most folks are not aware of.

Plus, he's drunk.

Usually when I see McCarthy's name mentioned, it is in connection with the Hollywood blacklist, which he had nothing to do with.

There were CPUSA members in DC and in Hollywood. They were sneaking, lying, conniving, weasly bullies. That they crumbled in the face of opposition, as much from Ronald Reagan as Joe McCarthy, does not make them harmless.

he is fully aware of the threat posed by Communism of that era... he's just playing and refusing to accept all of my documentation.

Plus, he's drunk.

Reading you're evidence for McCarthy's so called "Heroism" has driven me to drink.

"Stalin would have immediately gained control of the US Presidency":lol:

Plus, he's drunk.

Well he's a fun drunk, anyway. It's easy to laugh now about the CPUSA of the 40s and 50s, considering how they've been made to look like old ladies at an afternoon tea.

And I'm enjoying your posts.

SHIRLEY!!!:clap2:

I knew you'd bite!!!!:muahaha:

Congrats. You wanna beer?

I never turn down free beer, unless PoliticalChic offers.

I suspect she's peeing in it.

Gross, you juvenile.

For that, you have earned another lesson: Alger Hiss.

With the Alger Hiss case, President Nixon exposed the liberals as dupes of totalitarianism. “To many, Mr. Hiss was a traitor whose case proved beyond doubt the existence of Communist penetration of the Government. As the columnist George Will put it, Mr. Hiss's claim to innocence had become ''one of the long-running lies of modern American history.” (Alger Hiss, Divisive Icon of the Cold War, Dies at 92 - Obituary; Biography - NYTimes.com)

Liberals would never forgive Nixon, and so he remains in the pantheon of most hated: Watergate was the revenge. Attacks on Nixon mitigated the guilt of Hiss. In the NYTimes obituary for Hiss: his reputation seemed “to wax and wane with each new turn in the fortunes of Mr. Nixon.”(Ibid) ) President Jimmy Carter “lectured Americans on the foolishness of their "fear of communism". (Jimmy Carter: The Untold Story by Mark Silverberg)

“While reacting with unblinking ennui to Soviet spies in high government office, Democrats engaged in drama queen theatrics over ‘McCarthyism.’”(Ann Coulter, Treason, p. 10)

The major player in the Alger Hiss saga was fellow Communist, Whitaker Chambers. In his book, Witness, Chambers explains is disillusionment as follows. In 1938, he determined not only to break with the Communist Party, but to inform on the Party when he could. The reason was that he was informed that Stalin was making efforts to align with Hitler, in 1939, and “from any human point of view, the pact was evil.” As Hitler marched into Poland, Chambers arranged a private meeting with Adolf Berle, President Roosevelt’s assistant Sec’y of State. Chambers detailed the Communist espionage network, naming at least two dozen Soviet spies in Roosevelt’s administration, including Alger Hiss. Berle reported this to Roosevelt, who laughed, and told Berle to go f--- himself. (Arthur Herman, Joseph McCarthy: Reexaming the Life and Legacy of America’s Most Hated Senator, p. 60)

No action was taken, and in fact, Roosevelt promoted Hiss. Almost a decade later, Chambers was called before the HUAC and named Hiss as a Soviet agent. Hiss sued Chambers, at which time Chambers presented “… four notes in Alger Hiss's handwriting, sixty-five typewritten copies of State Department documents and five strips of microfilm, some of which contained photographs of State Department documents. The press came to call these the "Pumpkin Papers"(Whittaker Chambers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) And, of course, all doubt was removed in 1995, when the Venona Soviet cables were decrypted.

Enough? Is this the QED that the Democratic Party is dangeously weak in protecting America?

I attended a SAEDA briefing today and some of the factors they mentioned that might indicate a possible terrorist seemed to fit Obama.

One in particular stuck out:

*Associates with known terrorists.......*

Plus, he's drunk.

Well he's a fun drunk, anyway. It's easy to laugh now about the CPUSA of the 40s and 50s, considering how they've been made to look like old ladies at an afternoon tea.

Thanks, I really like posting about subjects in which I have an interest.

And Beer-boy allowed me the opportunity.

I was expecting the libs to defend the Dem party, yell and scream about McCarthy, but they seem less than interested.

I may have to post a response to my own posts!

Plus, he's drunk.

I was expecting the libs to defend the Dem party, yell and scream about McCarthy, but they seem less than interested.

Shhh! He's dozing.

I think so many people have heard the Hollywood sob stories and revised histories that the truth about McCarthy was lost long ago. Somebody mentioned Ann Coulter's having put the record strait. I agree. He wasn't a saint, but he wasn't the drunken witch-hunter he's painted to be, either.

Shhh! He's dozing.

I think so many people have heard the Hollywood sob stories and revised histories that the truth about McCarthy was lost long ago. Somebody mentioned Ann Coulter's having put the record strait. I agree. He wasn't a saint, but he wasn't the drunken witch-hunter he's painted to be, either.

Face down in the Pea Soup. Good.

Since you mention Ms. Coulter, many liberal investigators have written extensively to support Alger Hiss’ innocence. Some are interesting, and insightful. But I have found that when both sides are carefully considered, the left defenders tend to quibble about small discrepancies, rather than the larger questions of Soviet involvement, Democrat laxity, and espionage. For example NYU researcher, Jeff Kisseloff, in “The Alger Hiss Story (The Alger Hiss Story) claims to have found some 101 errors in the Ann Coulter book “Treason,” with respect to Hiss. He notes that Coulter mentions two dozen spies at one point, but the corresponding documents only list thirteen. I don’t feel that such an error, while it might be true, obviates the point Coulter makes.

And on the Haynes and Klehr book: On July 11, 1995 the government released decoded Soviet cables. Hiss was identified based on numerous similarities to ‘Ales’ in the cables. Here is part of an interesting defense of Hiss by John Lowenthal, a NYU (The Alger Hiss Story) claiming that “could not have been Hiss, even if we assume, for the sake of discussion, that Hiss was the spy he was in effect convicted of having been. Ales conducted espionage throughout the 11 years 1935-45 (message paragraph 1), whereas Hiss was accused, and in effect convicted, of having conducted espionage only in the mid-1930s and not later than 1938. Ales was the leader of a small group of espionage agents (par. 2); Hiss was accused of having acted alone, except for his wife as typist and Chambers as courier.”

But the government case only includes the years where they felt they had the best evidence, and Hiss may simply have been the clearest target for investigation.
I commend this article and the Haynes and Klehr book on the Venona Papers as dispositive: draw your own conclusions.

Communists who attempted to give aid and comfort to a blood-soaked ideology?

He ruined no innocent lives.

So you believe people in the US should not be allowed to follow their own political ideology.

No innocent lives? You're kidding right?

Am I the only person to see the irony that PC is defending a guy and his ideology that is probably as close to Communism as anything that has ever been part of the American political landscape?

Am I the only person to see the irony that PC is defending a guy and his ideology that is probably as close to Communism as anything that has ever been part of the American political landscape?

no.

Am I the only person that finds you're reference to "PC" ironic?

Political Chick has an agenda:

Believe everything Ann Coulter excretes no matter how absurd.

"NYU researcher, Jeff Kisseloff, in “The Alger Hiss Story (The Alger Hiss Story) claims to have found some 101 errors in the Ann Coulter book “Treason,” with respect to Hiss. He notes that Coulter mentions two dozen spies at one point, but the corresponding documents only list thirteen. I don’t feel that such an error, while it might be true, obviates the point Coulter makes."

I suppose PC can accept Coulter's lack of scholorship that resulted in a 50% error.

Happily, others have higher standards.

Now, can you identify ONE SPY that McCarthy found?

And that's the bottom line, right there.

That number? 0

Conservatives can try to re-write history all they want, but McCarthy earned his rightful spot as a shameless demagogue who ruthlessly trashed innocent people to propel his own political career. His "list" consisted of a bizarre compilations of names that were derived out of hearsay, rumors, and the most scant of evidence. McCarthy was never interested in the American concept of justice or due process.

My 90+ year old grandmother (who is no liberal, believe me), had an interesting theory about McCarthy's meteoric fall. She said that television is what did him in. According to her, prior to the Army hearings, McCarthy was principally broadcast on the radio. People heard "Tailgunner Joe" and made him out, in their minds, to be this noble crusader against communism. However, the Army/McCarthy hearings were broadcasts and everyone got to see McCarthy for what he was a "hissin' possum" (the words of my grandmother).

Of course, if there were any merit to the claims that McCarthy was something more than a drunk opportunist, then the GOP would embrace him as a hero, as opposed to shunning him.

McCarthy's fall came at a flash at an almost Hollywood-esque dialogue from Joseph N. Welch, head council for the United States Army.

Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us. Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think that I am a gentle man but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.

Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyers Guild. Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

The Senator has been the subject of attack, not because of a kernel of truth in his arguments, but because he exposed the liberals and Democrats as accepting the precepts of Communism, and still do.

If you really and truly think this is why he came under attack, you're sadly mistaken. I also have to question if you're a liberal and authoritarian as a Conservative would understand that the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government that constituted a threat to the liberty of every man woman and child in the USA.

That isn't an over statement. If McCarthy's actions had gained long term support imagine just how much abuse the current Democratic controlled Senate and House could hand out to their political opponents.

There's a reason that McCarthy's actions are villified. Namely, even if he found a few Communists (and even a blind squirrel finds a nut if they look hard enough), he violated our long standing traditions and notions of justice to do so.

People that support McCarthyism ARE NOT CONSERVATIVES and have no room to claim to be so. Supporting un-Constitutional expansions of power at the Federal level make you a neocon.

"...the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government..."

Instead of vague jargon of the left, please, if you can, show exactly what it is that Senator McCarthy did that you find objectionable.

No babble.

Specifics.

I find Senator McCarthy's illicit use of his seat in the United States Senate to name and vilify ordinary Americans with little, or scant, evidence to be extremely objectionable.

That number? 0

Conservatives can try to re-write history all they want, but McCarthy earned his rightful spot as a shameless demagogue who ruthlessly trashed innocent people to propel his own political career. His "list" consisted of a bizarre compilations of names that were derived out of hearsay, rumors, and the most scant of evidence. McCarthy was never interested in the American concept of justice or due process.

My 90+ year old grandmother (who is no liberal, believe me), had an interesting theory about McCarthy's meteoric fall. She said that television is what did him in. According to her, prior to the Army hearings, McCarthy was principally broadcast on the radio. People heard "Tailgunner Joe" and made him out, in their minds, to be this noble crusader against communism. However, the Army/McCarthy hearings were broadcasts and everyone got to see McCarthy for what he was a "hissin' possum" (the words of my grandmother).

Of course, if there were any merit to the claims that McCarthy was something more than a drunk opportunist, then the GOP would embrace him as a hero, as opposed to shunning him.

McCarthy's fall came at a flash at an almost Hollywood-esque dialogue from Joseph N. Welch, head council for the United States Army.

Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us. Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think that I am a gentle man but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.

Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyers Guild. Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

From the bold, willowy beauty, herself:

"Among the Soviet operatives who had been in government jobs and named by McCarthy were T.A. Bisson, Mary Jane Keeney, Cedric Belfrage, Solomon Adler, Franz Neumann, Leonard Mins, Gustavo Duran, and William Remington (later killed with a bar of soap in prison by a patriotic inmate)." [Ann Coulter Treason, pp 59-60]

His whole gig was identifying loyalty risks who were working for the government. It is interesting to note, too, that he refused to name names outside of closed session, until compelled to do so by the democrats.

Last edited:

That number? 0

"Among the Soviet operatives who had been in government jobs and named by McCarthy were T.A. Bisson, Mary Jane Keeney, Cedric Belfrage, Solomon Adler, Franz Neumann, Leonard Mins, Gustavo Duran, and William Remington (later killed with a bar of soap in prison by a patriotic inmate)." [Ann Coulter Treason, pp 59-60]

His whole gig was identifying loyalty risks who were working for the government. It is interesting to note, too, that he refused to name names outside of closed session, until compelled to do so by the democrats.

You make me sad.

First, even PC says that Coulter is a babbling idiot 50% of the time.

Then you use Coulter as a resource.

But I gave you both the benefit of the doubt, and briefly researched Mary Jane Keeney.

I admit that finding an unbias source is problematic.

In 1946 the FBI generated a:

335-page report on information furnished by Elizabeth Bentley (“Gregory”) and follow-up through FBI surveillance concerning the Silvermaster Group, (Lauchlin Currie, Harry Dexter White, etc.), the Perlo Group (Alger Hiss, etc.), and others. Discusses contacts of Mary Jane Keeney with Joseph Bernstein, David Wahl, Maurice Halperin, etc

From the dubious wikipedia;

In February 1950, Senator Joseph McCarthy accused Keeney of being a member of the Communist Party, not an agent serving a foreign government. By the end of 1950, Keeney lost her position with the United Nations. She was convicted of contempt of Congress, however the decision was overturned upon appeal.

Either way, you have been duped: Mary Jane Keeny was never convicted or exposed of treason as a spy, much less by McCarthy, and her only conviction (contempt of Congress) was overturned.

That number? 0

You make me sad.

But I gave you both the benefit of the doubt, and briefly researched Mary Jane Keeney.

335-page report on information furnished by Elizabeth Bentley (“Gregory”) and follow-up through FBI surveillance concerning the Silvermaster Group, (Lauchlin Currie, Harry Dexter White, etc.), the Perlo Group (Alger Hiss, etc.), and others. Discusses contacts of Mary Jane Keeney with Joseph Bernstein, David Wahl, Maurice Halperin, etc

In February 1950, Senator Joseph McCarthy accused Keeney of being a member of the Communist Party, not an agent serving a foreign government. By the end of 1950, Keeney lost her position with the United Nations. She was convicted of contempt of Congress, however the decision was overturned upon appeal.

Either way, you have been duped: Mary Jane Keeny was never convicted or exposed of treason as a spy, much less by McCarthy, and her only conviction (contempt of Congress) was overturned.

Why so serious?

On page 65, Ann quotes McCarthy thusly, referencing Buckley and Bozell as the quote source:

"I have enough to convince me that either they are members of the Communist Party or they have given great aid to the Communists: I may be wrong. that is why I said that unless the Senate demanded that I do so, I would not submit this publicly...It is possible that some of these persons will get a clean bill of health."

For my Wiki research subject, I chose William Remington. Now THIS should make you sad:

William Walter Remington (October 25, 1917 – November 24, 1954) was an economist employed in various federal government positions until his career was interrupted by accusations of espionage made by the Soviet spy and defector Elizabeth Bentley. He was convicted of perjury in connection with these charges in 1953, and murdered in prison in 1954. His death has been cited as one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Remington

Last edited:

You make me sad.

Why so serious?

On page 65, Ann quotes McCarthy thusly, referencing Buckley and Bozell as the quote source:

"I have enough to convince me that either they are members of the Communist Party or they have given great aid to the Communists: I may be wrong. that is why I said that unless the Senate demanded that I do so, I would not submit this publicly...It is possible that some of these persons will get a clean bill of health."

For my Wiki research subject, I chose William Remington. Now THIS should make you sad:

William Walter Remington (October 25, 1917 – November 24, 1954) was an economist employed in various federal government positions until his career was interrupted by accusations of espionage made by the Soviet spy and defector Elizabeth Bentley. He was convicted of perjury in connection with these charges in 1953, and murdered in prison in 1954. His death has been cited as one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism.[2]

I fascinated that both you and PC seem enamoured of the same heresay McCarthy (Coulter?) quote, where he admits he's an idiot that casts a broad net, and catches....NOTHING!

At any rate, Wiki, as I said, is a somewhat disingenuous source, but like PoliticalChick, its cheap and easy. Even it makes the point that William Remmington was being investigated long before McCarthy began his witch-hunt:

Acting on Bentley's information, the FBI began a secret surveillance of Remington in late 1945.

McCarthy found nothing.

You make me sad.

Why so serious?

I fascinated that both you and PC seem enamoured of the same heresay McCarthy (Coulter?) quote, where he admits he's an idiot that casts a broad net, and catches....NOTHING!

At any rate, Wiki, as I said, is a somewhat disingenuous source, but like PoliticalChick, its cheap and easy. Even it makes the point that William Remmington was being investigated long before McCarthy began his witch-hunt:

Acting on Bentley's information, the FBI began a secret surveillance of Remington in late 1945.

McCarthy found nothing.

I don't agree. He found a loyalty risk, which was exactly what he was looking for. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't claim originality.

I wasn't aware PC quoted that bit already, but I'm fascinated that Wiki reports Remington's death as "one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism."

OT Trivia: Which US Senator introduced a bill in 1954 that would have outlawed the Communist Party? (Hint: he was a Democrat.)

Forum List

Back