The Success of the Big Lie

According to liberal mythology, Annie Lee Moss, a semi-literate black wash-woman, was hauled before the committee and accused of being a Communist. Moss, in fact, had been “absolutely” identified as a Communist Party member by a reliable FBI informant. (David Oshinsky, A Conspiracy So Immense). She was listed in the Communist Party’s records. The Party newspaper, the Daily Worker, was delivered to her home- and followed when she moved. (Rogers v. Communist Party of the United States, Subversive Activities Control Board, September 19, 1958). And, Annie Lee Moss was also working in the Code Room of the Pentagon. At the hearings, Ms. Moss mentioned that there were three other people named Annie Lee Moss in the Washington, DC phonebook. The press, of course, accepted this and called McCarty a demagogue.

Of course, none of the press looked in the phonebook: there were not three other Annie Lee Moss’- just one. At 72 R Street, SW. The same address listed in the Communist Party records. (Thomas C. Reeves, The Life and Times of Joe McCarthy, p.568-569) Even after the hearings, and the Rosenberg Case, the Army rehired her.
The myth was projected by a Broadway play, A Question of Loyalty, in which a phonebook actually had three Moss’.

Provide proof she broke the law.
PC dreams of a day when proving someone is a liberal makes them guilty of a crime.

In her mind, anyone that every belonged to the CP should be shot.

IF that is true, then quite simply she is un-American. It is impossible to support criminalizing dissent and support a free Republic. It is just as impossible to support trying to limit dissent and support a free Republic.

PC, your thoughts on Ravi's accusation?

McCarthy’s primary goal was not to expose individual Communists, he was simply demanding of the liberal establishment: Why were they sheltering traitors?

Glad you liked the peppers: you look good in red.

So, McCarthy didn't find anyone more guilty of being a "red" than I, and that's only because of the peppers.

Now, fetch me another beer.

The Senator has been the subject of attack, not because of a kernel of truth in his arguments, but because he exposed the liberals and Democrats as accepting the precepts of Communism, and still do.

If you really and truly think this is why he came under attack, you're sadly mistaken. I also have to question if you're a liberal and authoritarian as a Conservative would understand that the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government that constituted a threat to the liberty of every man woman and child in the USA.

That isn't an over statement. If McCarthy's actions had gained long term support imagine just how much abuse the current Democratic controlled Senate and House could hand out to their political opponents.

There's a reason that McCarthy's actions are villified. Namely, even if he found a few Communists (and even a blind squirrel finds a nut if they look hard enough), he violated our long standing traditions and notions of justice to do so.

People that support McCarthyism ARE NOT CONSERVATIVES and have no room to claim to be so. Supporting un-Constitutional expansions of power at the Federal level make you a neocon.

"...the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government..."

Instead of vague jargon of the left, please, if you can, show exactly what it is that Senator McCarthy did that you find objectionable.

No babble.

Specifics.

"...the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government..."

Instead of vague jargon of the left, please, if you can, show exactly what it is that Senator McCarthy did that you find objectionable.

No babble.

Specifics.

I can't help your reading comprehension. That is exactly what McCarthy tried to do. The exact list.

If you don't understand it, I suggest you go back and read the transcripts and the history.

According to liberal mythology, Annie Lee Moss, a semi-literate black wash-woman, was hauled before the committee and accused of being a Communist. Moss, in fact, had been “absolutely” identified as a Communist Party member by a reliable FBI informant. (David Oshinsky, A Conspiracy So Immense). She was listed in the Communist Party’s records. The Party newspaper, the Daily Worker, was delivered to her home- and followed when she moved. (Rogers v. Communist Party of the United States, Subversive Activities Control Board, September 19, 1958). And, Annie Lee Moss was also working in the Code Room of the Pentagon. At the hearings, Ms. Moss mentioned that there were three other people named Annie Lee Moss in the Washington, DC phonebook. The press, of course, accepted this and called McCarty a demagogue.

Of course, none of the press looked in the phonebook: there were not three other Annie Lee Moss’- just one. At 72 R Street, SW. The same address listed in the Communist Party records. (Thomas C. Reeves, The Life and Times of Joe McCarthy, p.568-569) Even after the hearings, and the Rosenberg Case, the Army rehired her.
The myth was projected by a Broadway play, A Question of Loyalty, in which a phonebook actually had three Moss’.

PC dreams of a day when proving someone is a liberal makes them guilty of a crime.

"PC dreams of a day when proving someone is a liberal makes them guilty of a crime.

In her mind, anyone that every belonged to the CP should be shot"

Ah, slander as the liberal's attempt at debate.

I suppose the fact that President Eisenhower, not a fan of Senator McCarthy issued this Executive Order, as outlined in Time Magazine, might help you to understand:

"Executive Order 10450, issued by the President on April 27, 1953, establishing broad new security standards for federal employment. Critics say that Ten-Four-Fifty results in a cold reign of terror among Government workers, that no man is safe from his neighbor's malice. Defenders say that Order 10450 is necessary to protect the U.S. from the infiltration of its Government by enemies.

EXECUTIVE Order 10450 requires that the hiring and continued employment of federal workers must, in the judgment of department and agency heads, be "clearly consistent" with the interests of national security. The order recognizes that an employee may be loyal, yet still be a security risk. The homosexual may be easy prey to blackmail. The person with relatives behind the Iron Curtain may be exposed to overwhelming pressures. The alcoholic may unintentionally blab secrets.

But the system does not—and cannot—adhere strictly to judicial principles, with the "defendant" presumed innocent until proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. For guilt in the legal sense is not involved. The idea is not to wait until the drunken employee gives away an important secret; it is to get rid of him beforehand. “
Read more: National Affairs: THE MEANING OF SECURITY - TIME

The judicial reference is the same thinking used by the Obama Administration in continuing to hold some of the terrorists at Gitmo: national security.

Dr., your argument is sorely limited by not understanding the debate.

This from my earlier post:
" McCarthy’s primary goal was not to expose individual Communists, he was simply demanding of the liberal establishment: Why were they sheltering traitors? It was the exact same point Eisenhower was making when he directed Attorney General Brownell to inform the public that President Truman had wittingly place a Soviet spy in a key position at the IMF… For decades, people who should not have been allowed anywhere a government job were strolling into sensitive positions with the US government. For the most part, accusations were not aimed at sending the accused to a gulag, only to private practice."

Now, if that is clear, answer this:

If Ms. Moss was a 'card-carrying' member of the Communist Party, which she was, do you think that the Army was living up to its duty by allowing her in the code room of the Pentagon?

Your answer to this will, indeed, be telling.

IF that is true, then quite simply she is un-American. It is impossible to support criminalizing dissent and support a free Republic. It is just as impossible to support trying to limit dissent and support a free Republic.

I accept that she was un-American, not a loyal American, and whatever permutation you wish.

Now tell me if she should be employed by the government in sensitive positions.

If your answer is the oh-so-logical "perhaps not," then you agree with the campaign of Senator McCarthy.

" McCarthy’s primary goal was not to expose individual Communists, he was simply demanding of the liberal establishment: Why were they sheltering traitors? It was the exact same point Eisenhower was making when he directed Attorney General Brownell to inform the public that President Truman had wittingly place a Soviet spy in a key position at the IMF… For decades, people who should not have been allowed anywhere a government job were strolling into sensitive positions with the US government. For the most part, accusations were not aimed at sending the accused to a gulag, only to private practice."

If Ms. Moss was a 'card-carrying' member of the Communist Party, which she was, do you think that the Army was living up to its duty by allowing her in the code room of the Pentagon?

First up, there was no proof that Ms. Moss was a card carrying member of the Communist Party at the time of her employment in the Army. The most that could be said is that she came in contact with the Party when she was younger. It is strongly suspected that she left the Communist party long before her employment in the Army.

If the most you have as proof is a magazine suscription following her, then I submit you have never been an alumni of a University or College. The alumni mailings have a bad tendancy to find you anywhere. After Katrina the one piece of mail that could find me monthly, despite my best attempts at letting bill collectors know my current location, was the alumni newsletter. And I was trying to lose them.

In addition, there was never a single shred of proof that Ms. Moss ever posed a security risk, ever acted untoward, or was even in the same room as a decrypted message or the means to decrypt them.

If you consider Ms. Moss a vindication of McCarthy, I strongly suggest you put down your copy of "Treason" and pick up a few books. Or look up the McCarthy transcripts.

I accept that she was un-American, not a loyal American, and whatever permutation you wish.

If your answer is the oh-so-logical "perhaps not," then you agree with the campaign of Senator McCarthy.

Its unfortunate that McCarthy didn't limit himself to governmental jobs. He also went after Americans not affiliated with the security appartatus in any way shape or form.

And as for Ms. Moss, provide proof she was a security threat. Or that she was even active in the Communist Party at the time of her employment.

McCarthy’s primary goal was not to expose individual Communists, he was simply demanding of the liberal establishment: Why were they sheltering traitors?

So, McCarthy didn't find anyone more guilty of being a "red" than I, and that's only because of the peppers.

You are particularly dense this day.

A member of Communist Party in the code room of the Pentagon is fine with you?

And chew on this one, Owen Lattimore.

Just as Alger Hiss was a key advisor to the Roosevelt administration, Lattimore was the "expert" to whom they turned when deciding how to act toward China.

In actuality, McCarthy did not name Lattimore, but only referred to a ‘Mr. X.’ “In his speeches, McCarthy referred to Lattimore as "Mr X... the top Russian spy... the key man in a Russian espionage ring." …On 26th March, 1950, Pearson named Lattimore as McCarthy's Mr. X.” Drew Pearson

Lattimore was found to be a “conscious, articulate instrument of the Soviet conspiracy” by a unanimous Senate committee (William F. Buckley and Brent Bozell, McCarty and His Enemies, p. 274, quoting the Congressional Record)

The aim of these paid agents of the Soviets was to dictate the direction of American foreign policy- and they were quite successful. Just as we see today, the liberal elites fell in line easily.

Had it not been for heros such as McCarthy, whose campaign the American public understood and supported, there would never have been a push-back against Communism by such anti-Communists as Eleanor Roosevelt, Arthur Schlesinger,jr, Walter Reuther, Hubert Humphrey, and others- none of whom supported McCarthy.

At your level, emoticons are far more suitable than dialogue.

If you have an opinion, rather than a total acceptance of the liberal line, please specify your problem with Senator McCarthy.

Silence will be acceptable.
I think the others on this thread are whipping you too hard as it is. :lol:

You have a very un-American attitude, just like your hero Ann Coulter.

I appreciate the compliment.

"I think the others on this thread ..."

It should be against the law for you to apply the work 'think' to yourself.

Your attempt to sidestep my request that you actually think, and provide specifics in your dislike of Senator McCarthy is completely transparent.

Care to try again?

No babble.

Specifics.

I can't help your reading comprehension. That is exactly what McCarthy tried to do. The exact list.

If you don't understand it, I suggest you go back and read the transcripts and the history.

Now, I know you are capable of a higher level of articulation than that...

I hope you're not giving up.

What, exactly, did Senator McCarthy do that you find objectionable?

Here, let me help, perhaps a multiple choice is more suitable for your talents:
Did he arrest folks?
Did he name names?
Did he ruin innocent lives?
Or is it the use of strong language, not play 'by the rules'... what?

Come on, give it a go.

Now, I know you are capable of a higher level of articulation than that...

I know you can read better than that. The list is quite specific:

...the real reason McCarthy came under attack is that he attempted to circumvent the criminal system, criminalize the 5th Ammendment, and add strong authoritative powers to the Federal Government...

Tell me exactly in that list you do not understand, or that you dispute.

I put forward that if you not understand that list, you are either not very well versed with McCarthy's tactics when badgering those subpoened by him, or that you are not that proficient at English.

Now, what exactly do you dispute in this list. That McCarthy is guilty of even one of them would be enough to number him among the blackest villians of American history. That he is guilty of all three makes him more than deserving of the scorn heaped upon him and more.

First up, there was no proof that Ms. Moss was a card carrying member of the Communist Party at the time of her employment in the Army. The most that could be said is that she came in contact with the Party when she was younger. It is strongly suspected that she left the Communist party long before her employment in the Army.

If the most you have as proof is a magazine suscription following her, then I submit you have never been an alumni of a University or College. The alumni mailings have a bad tendancy to find you anywhere. After Katrina the one piece of mail that could find me monthly, despite my best attempts at letting bill collectors know my current location, was the alumni newsletter. And I was trying to lose them.

In addition, there was never a single shred of proof that Ms. Moss ever posed a security risk, ever acted untoward, or was even in the same room as a decrypted message or the means to decrypt them.

If you consider Ms. Moss a vindication of McCarthy, I strongly suggest you put down your copy of "Treason" and pick up a few books. Or look up the McCarthy transcripts.

"Since Markward’s information included an address for Annie Lee Moss, and Moss confirmed this address in her testimony, the possibility of mistaken identity was never a very realistic one.[25][26] In 1958 the Subversive Activities Control Board investigated a related case and confirmed Markward’s testimony that Moss’s name and address had appeared on the Communist party rolls in the mid-1940s. Several sources have reported this as "proving" that Moss had been a Communist.[27] More substantive is the evidence contained in Moss's FBI file, some of which wasn't revealed until the file was released through a Freedom of Information Act request. Andrea Friedman describes this evidence as "perhaps a dozen pieces of paper—included a list of 'party recruits' that identified Moss by name, race, age, and occupation; membership lists from two Communist party branches, the Communist Political Association, and various ad hoc committees containing Moss’s name and address, as well as the number of her Communist Party membership book; and receipt records from 1945 for Daily Worker subscriptions." Friedman concludes that Moss most likely had indirect contact with Communists through her cafeteria workers' union, and at most was probably a "casual recruit to the Communist Party, attracted by its social and economic justice politics," and later abandoned any associations with them. [28]"
Annie Lee Moss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, once he exposed her, why would Senator McCarthy require any "vindication"?

What happened to Ms.Moss?

Was she sent to a gulag, as the folks she supported did to millions?
Was she even fired?

Or do you even know? See what I mean about your knowledge of the subject?

She was rehired by the Army, just no longer placed in any sensitive postitions.

So, what's your beef?

Or will you now admit the the Senator performed a valuable and heroic function?

Ball's in your court.

Its unfortunate that McCarthy didn't limit himself to governmental jobs. He also went after Americans not affiliated with the security appartatus in any way shape or form.

And as for Ms. Moss, provide proof she was a security threat. Or that she was even active in the Communist Party at the time of her employment.

Please provide your information that supports this post.

You are particularly dense this day.

A member of Communist Party in the code room of the Pentagon is fine with you?

And chew on this one, Owen Lattimore..

Actually simply identifying ONE SPY that McCarthy found would be sufficient.

Instead, you hold forth Owen Lattimore?

Why not use Benedict Arnold as another example to justify McCarthyism?

Before you set up your next exposition full of smoke-and-mirrors, be sure to fetch me another beer...the last you brought was flat.

What happened to Ms.Moss?

From your own link.

Moss had been suspended from her position when McCarthy announced his interest in the case. In January 1955 she was rehired to a non-sensitive position in the army's finance and accounts office, and she remained an army clerk until her retirement in 1975 at age sixty-nine. She died in 1996.

Considering she was investigated by McCarthy in 1951 that means she lost her job for a period of nearly 4 years. All because of an accusation.

Notice she was suspended before McCarthy actually called her before the Senate. Considering that McCarthy could provide absolutely no proof that she was currently a Communist, nor that she was a security risk (and for that matter neither have you) Ms. Moss's case provides an ample example of why McCarthy deserves all of the scorn attached to his name.

Please provide your information that supports this post.

Read this link this time.

This is the third time I've provided this link in relation to McCarthy and your inquiries. Read it this time. In particular:

Exercising Fifth Amendment rights in these secret hearings was risky. In one hearing, McCarthy -- a Republican from Wisconsin elected to the Senate in 1946 -- threatened a New York City teacher who refused to answer all his questions.

According to the transcript, McCarthy asked an aide to transmit the testimony to the city's board of education.

"I assume with this testimony they will discharge this man," McCarthy said. He turned to the teacher and added, "I may say your wife's testimony is being transmitted to the board of education also. I assume she will be discharged too."

Forum List

Back