What a great idea for improving Public School Test Scores

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Someone posted a link about Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer drawing a comparison to “feeding stray animals” during a speech about people on government assistance, which I thought had some ideas of merit. Here's onea:

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well, you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'”

Bauer said during the speech that there are no “repercussions” from accepting government assistance.

“We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting,” Bauer said.

“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

S.C. Republican: Aid like feeding strays - CharlotteObserver.com

What do you think?

He has a serious deficiency in determining cause and effect

Someone posted a link about Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer drawing a comparison to “feeding stray animals” during a speech about people on government assistance, which I thought had some ideas of merit. Here's onea:

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well, you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'”

Bauer said during the speech that there are no “repercussions” from accepting government assistance.

“We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting,” Bauer said.

“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

What do you think?
So he is pretty much saying he wants to punish children who are growing up poor, with parents who probably don't care, and some who have parents that are drugs. I worked at a school where almost all the children were on free or reduced lunches, and there is only so much teachers can do. And I love how the solution to this guy is to not feed the children, because that is exactly what would happen if he got his way. When in reality, the only meals some of those kids eat are at school.

What do you think?

I think each kid should be given a live hamster that they would be forced to butcher and grill over coals for lunch if they failed a test.

What do you think?

WOW!

Xsited1...I hope that you aren't buying this guy's conclusions, otherwise your credibility as a reasonably intelligent poster will drop precipitously.

I do like the Idea of drug testing for those receiving government subsistence. Why should we the people pay for these losers drugs? Of course along with that we would have to offer programs to get them cleaned out.

So he is pretty much saying he wants to punish children who are growing up poor, with parents who probably don't care, and some who have parents that are drugs. I worked at a school where almost all the children were on free or reduced lunches, and there is only so much teachers can do. And I love how the solution to this guy is to not feed the children, because that is exactly what would happen if he got his way. When in reality, the only meals some of those kids eat are at school.

Do you live in South Carolina? No you don't. I do and about 60% of public educated school children in this state are getting free or reduced lunch at the expense of the rest of us. That's out of control and that's what Bauer is pointing out. They need to tighten up the qualifications.

Bauer isn't punishing anybody's children. The children are being punished by their loser parents and those are the only people responsible for their childrens' situations, not Bauer, not the government, and not anybody else in this state who made intelligent and responsible choice in life.

Bauer isn't punishing anybody's children. The children are being punished by their loser parents and those are the only people responsible for their childrens' situations, not Bauer, not the government, and not anybody else in this state who made intelligent and responsible choice in life.

So you support letting the kids go hungry.... How else are you going to teach them not to be poor?

Of course along with that we would have to offer programs to get them cleaned out.

Like hell we do. Who says we have to?

It's part of taking care of our own. You get them cleaned out they may become productive members of society again. If they don't then they'll end up in jail or dead eventually. But we have to give them at least one shot at getting clean. That's all the liberalism I have in me. If they fail Fuck em.

So you support letting the kids go hungry.... How else are you going to teach them not to be poor?

I am not letting anybody go hungry. Their parents are.

Yea!

Other peoples kids are not our problem! Lets turn the USA into Calcutta....

I am not turning the USA into Calcutta. The loser dead beat parents who don't take care of their kids are. That seems to be a fact you fail to grasp. I've lead a responsible and productive life in not always the most optimal of circumstances.

Was the USA Calcutta before the great welfare state? I think not.

I'd take it a step further...if you are receiving government assistance you should be required to perform community service in your neighborhood.

It serves a dual purpose...no one should receive something for nothing AND it helps clean up the community.

I'd take it a step further...if you are receiving government assistance you should be required to perform community service in your neighborhood.

It serves a dual purpose...no one should receive something for nothing AND it helps clean up the community.

I could go with that as long as Ability comes into play.

I am not letting anybody go hungry. Their parents are.

Yea!

I am not turning the USA into Calcutta. The loser dead beat parents who don't take care of their kids are. That seems to be a fact you fail to grasp. I've lead a responsible and productive life in not always the most optimal of circumstances.

Did you miss out on the Great Depression?

Yea!

Did you miss out on the Great Depression?

The Great Depression doesn't apply to the parameters of this discussion. People were impoverished not because they didn't want to work, but because they couldn't get work, through no fault of their own. As you will recall, there was no welfare state and we came out of the Depression and life got back to normal and people continued to have a sense of pride and achievement and didn't expect something for nothing, quite unlike today, thank you LBJ.

We see how well our programs are working now

we have over three generations of "poor" in families now and have spent a lot on money on them

Seems like the only thing we taught them was how to be poor
:eusa_shhh:

Let me guess, we to spend even more money

I could go with that as long as Ability comes into play.

:thup: I am referring to folks who can work but don't for whatever reason.

Forum List

Back