The Success of the Big Lie

Discussion in 'Education' started by PoliticalChic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,825
    Yesterday there was an excellent thread on the Ukrainian holocaust.

Today is the anniversary of the sentencing of Alger Hiss. Most folks don’t remember him, but most Americans have been fed the lie that the real enemy of America during WW II and the post-war era was Senator Joseph McCarthy. The Big Lie.

January 25, 1950 Alger Hiss sentenced for perjury for denying he was a Soviet spy (see Jan. 21). Dean Acheson, Truman’s Sec’y of State, said:
    “I do not intend to turn my back on Alger Hiss.”

February 9,1950 In his famous Wheeling, West Virginia speech, Senator Joe McCarthy said he had the names of 57 card-carrying Communists in the State Department. [Two weeks after Alger Hiss was convicted of perjury.]

If you have always accepted "Senator McCarthy as personificaton of evil" as true, can you name any innocent folks, -that means people who did not support or work for the blood-soaked ideology that took over many parts of the world, threatened America, and was responsible for some hundred million deaths, Communism, -whose lives were ‘ruined’ by the spotlight that Senator McCarthy pointed toward Communists, Communist supporters, and officials of the United States who were lax in protecting the country?

My thesis here is that Senator McCarthy was an American hero who performed a necessary and valuable service, and should be honored for it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Ann Coulter did a great job examining Alger Hiss, the Rosenbergs and Joe McCarthy in her book... "Treason", I believe.

Personally, we need a government in power again not afraid to try, convict and pubically hang traitors. Nowadays, there is no penalty for treasonous acts. It's a wink and a nod and maybe a deferred sentance if anything happens at all... unless you're an Islamist.

Then you'll get put in prison at least where you can build up a following to go out and wage Jihad as your proxies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Mccarthy was the main enemy in WWII?

I have never heard ANYONE claim that.

He was an evil toad but not the main evil toad.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I think a very big problem in America is that we have turned into an "It's ok" nation meaning nobody does anything wrong. Remember the old saying back in the 60's - "If if feels good, do it?" That's where we are today. Political correctness keeps people at bay in crying foul when it sometimes needs to be cried. We are our own worst enemy because we no longer police ourselves in terms of human behavior. You can't paddle your neighbor kids ass when he being a brat and send him home. First of all, there's nobody at home to receive him because both parents (if there are two parents) are at work and secondly, they will react violently because you've punished their perfect little child. Everything decent in this country is now viewed as radical behavior when in the past it was the people doing all the wild stuff that were questionable. Now, radical is the norm. Sad, huh?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Now days you cannot even punish bad behavior of your own children without someone screaming it is a form of abuse. In as much as beating respect into someone does not work treating disrespect with blind eyes does not work either. Accountability went out the window with the new age progressives.

6. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    My opinion is that, like all politicos, there was a kernal of truth under the mountain of bullshit McCarthy generated: hysterics regarding the "Red Menace" were not regarded as candidates for the loony bin, but good candidates for congress, as much as hysterics regarding "Witchcraft" were regarded as Moral Models.

I disagree that "new age progressives" have been the cause of declining social accountability. IMHO McCarthyism, and the entire radical reaction to fairly moderate political movements during the 1950's and 1960's caused the pendulum of cultural norms to swing the other direction and accept "moral relativism" as a strong arguement to defend the weakest case.

What we (Western Civilization) needs now are more clearly defining events that are "Wrong" or "Evil." We need another Hitler, another OBL, to reset the equilibrium.......Interestingly, Islam has no concept of Moral Relativity.

.....Unhappily the stakes are higher today than during the 1950's when MCCarthy was able to define Evil as Communism.....I'm sure the only act that can happen today that would convince moral relativists that Evil exists, is the explosion of a nuclear device inside a major city during a gay pride parade......

Islamist may teach The West that McCarthy might have had a point: Radicalism cannot be countered with Moral Relativism, but only with Radicalism.

7. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion yet that does not mean they are correct.

What we don't need is another slaughter of innocent people such as Hitler performed yet there are those out there that are more than willing to go that route. What people will get for their choices to choose evil over good as a majority is very severe punishments in the natural such as droughts, plagues and famines.

8. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,825

"fairly moderate political movements during the 1950's and 1960's ..."
    Absurd. Would you use the same phrase with respect to the Nazis?

Simply apply the same rationale and sentiment to a scenario where two administrations were not only riddled with Nazis, paid by Hitler's government, but also known to be Nazis, and suddenly the ludicrousness of your statement shines through.

" “[The] relationship [between communism and Nazism] may never be fully understood. But the Russian Red Terror, in its emphasis on the elimination of entire classes of peoples, in its description of opponents as "vermin" to be exterminated, does seem like a precursor of the German concentration camps. Moreover, Nazism profited greatly not only from Lenin's and Stalin's Gulag system--Rudolf Hoess, commandant of Auschwitz, solicited reports about the operations of Soviet camps--but also from Bolshevism itself, which served as both a whipping boy and, at times, a political idea that could be collaborated with. The two ideologies validated each other."
    WALL STREET JOURNAL MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 1999

'hysterics regarding the "Red Menace" ...'

Wow, do you need a refresher!

This is akin to saying "only a child molester"

I recommend The Black Book of Communism, written originally to find that Communism really wasn't that awful...but what they found made them reverse course.

"In its many enthroned variations, from Lenin's 1917 revolution to the recent MarxistLeninist regimes of Africa, communism has killed upwards of 100 million people65 million in China alone. Courtois and his colleagues do not simply unfold the numbers relentlessly and numbingly. Instead, they painstakingly explore the many ways the killing was done-from summary execution to forced deportations, from mass starvation to the gulag-and examine its many pretexts.”
    The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression
    Foreign Affairs (Book Review); New York; Nov/Dec 1999; Robert Legvold;

Now as for Senator McCarthy, your "a kernal of truth" comment misses the point by so much that I can only conclude that you know nothing about the time or the man.

He accepted the vituperation of every 'politico,' every newspaper, to ring the bell, to make all aware that the Democrat government was willing to overlook the Soviet agents throughout government, and to accept that they were taking orders from Moscow and sending Stalin all of Americas' secrets.

"...stakes are higher today ..."
    No, they are not. Had the Soviet agents and fellow travelers suceeded, you would be in a gulag such as those of Stalin, or possibly cannabalized, as happened to educators in Mao's China.

Such is the effect of the success of the Big Lie.

9. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Ah, so this is the little red herring that we're supposed to run after?:

Communist Sympathisers = Nazi Sympathisers

and after we begin running after this ridiculously obvious deviation from the topic, then we can begin making absurd leaps of logic like equating American Communists during 1950-1960 with German Nazis during 1930's-1940's.

Then just to raise the volume of your laughable gullibility:

Lets at least try to remain On-Topic, shall we?

I'm not going to discuss the Nasi Party in Germany.
    I'm not going to discuss Mao in China.
    I'm not discussing Stalin's USSR.

I AM discussing McCarthyism. I'm defining this as the investigations of Senator McCarthy, in the USA, during the 1950's, m'k?

Now, dear madame, unless you can show me where the American Communist Party was smashing in Jewish Storefronts, sending people to gulags in Alaska, and forcably "reeducating intellectuals" at Harvard, I'll kindly ask you to try to, at very minimum, to insert some reality into your shrill replies.

Otherwise, go make me a sammich and bring me a beer.:cool:

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,904
    Alger Hiss, Genuine Communist spy

Another Big Lie is to make FDR into a Great America President.