The Success of the Big Lie

I fascinated that both you and PC seem enamoured of the same heresay McCarthy (Coulter?) quote, where he admits he's an idiot that casts a broad net, and catches....NOTHING!

At any rate, Wiki, as I said, is a somewhat disingenuous source, but like PoliticalChick, its cheap and easy. Even it makes the point that William Remmington was being investigated long before McCarthy began his witch-hunt:

McCarthy found nothing.

I don't agree. He found a loyalty risk, which was exactly what he was looking for. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't claim originality.

I wasn't aware PC quoted that bit already, but I'm fascinated that Wiki reports Remington's death as "one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism."

OT Trivia: Which US Senator introduced a bill in 1954 that would have outlawed the Communist Party? (Hint: he was a Democrat.)

Wiki isn't really a source that I expect to find the most unbias information: Thus the "one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism." My question is what were the others?

Well then, you think McCarthy found a "loyalty risk." So now we're reduced to playing semantical footsie?

WTF is "LOYALTY RISK?"

Someone who had no freaking business having a government security clearance, because there was ample and solid reason to believe they weren't loyal to the US.

You make me sad.

First, even PC says that Coulter is a babbling idiot 50% of the time.

Then you use Coulter as a resource.

But I gave you both the benefit of the doubt, and briefly researched Mary Jane Keeney.

I admit that finding an unbias source is problematic.

In 1946 the FBI generated a:

From the dubious wikipedia;

Either way, you have been duped: Mary Jane Keeny was never convicted or exposed of treason as a spy, much less by McCarthy, and her only conviction (contempt of Congress) was overturned.

Why so serious?

On page 65, Ann quotes McCarthy thusly, referencing Buckley and Bozell as the quote source:

"I have enough to convince me that either they are members of the Communist Party or they have given great aid to the Communists: I may be wrong. that is why I said that unless the Senate demanded that I do so, I would not submit this publicly...It is possible that some of these persons will get a clean bill of health."

For my Wiki research subject, I chose William Remington. Now THIS should make you sad:

William Walter Remington (October 25, 1917 – November 24, 1954) was an economist employed in various federal government positions until his career was interrupted by accusations of espionage made by the Soviet spy and defector Elizabeth Bentley. He was convicted of perjury in connection with these charges in 1953, and murdered in prison in 1954. His death has been cited as one of the few murders attributable to McCarthyism.[2]

William Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why would that make anyone sad?

I'm a delicate flower.:redface:

Forum List

Back