The polarized US

Well obviously we were more divided at the time of the civil war, but for the most part that was over one single issue.

Today, there is much that divides this country, and it's due to changing demographics and many different issues.

We were once the great melting pot, where immigrants came and contributed some of their own culture, but for the most part they left it behind learned English and became Americans.

We no longer teach that. Thanks to the left we no longer expect immigrants to become Americans with a common language that keeps us tethered together.
Today it's multi-culturalism, and many seperate groups will emerge demanding their own power and seperate identity.

What it now comes down to is we are destined, in a large part to social media such as this, to be at each others throat from this point forward.
America for the most part is over with, and we will only fragment further into the abyss until we either decide to split up and become seperate nations, or we engage in another civil war.

I hope not but the only way I see you being wrong is for the mainstream media and left teacher unions to stop and if not I'm afraid it's bad for them. They will feel the pain in November and in 2014 I think.

America for the most part is over with, and we will only fragment further into the abyss until we either decide to split up and become seperate nations, or we engage in another civil war.

Fuck. You.

The Democrats won't even do their Constitutional duty to engage in the budget process, Blindboo, because they refuse to engage in compromise with those the public elected in majority to create our laws.

Ultra-fail.

The failure is on the part of the Norquest Republicans who refuse to compromise. Not because the Democrats didn't offer a compromise.

We were once the great melting pot, where immigrants came and contributed some of their own culture, but for the most part they left it behind learned English and became Americans.

We are still that melting pot, and (legal) immigrants still learn English and become Americans.

The Democrats won't even do their Constitutional duty to engage in the budget process, Blindboo, because they refuse to engage in compromise with those the public elected in majority to create our laws.

Ultra-fail.

The failure is on the part of the Norquest Republicans who refuse to compromise. Not because the Democrats didn't offer a compromise.

That is absurd.

The House passed budget legislation and sent it to the Senate where they are Constitutionally bound to pass a resolution.

Harry Reid simply refuses to permit the Senate to engage in our time-tested process of resolving differences.

Well obviously we were more divided at the time of the civil war, but for the most part that was over one single issue.

Today, there is much that divides this country, and it's due to changing demographics and many different issues.

We no longer teach that. Thanks to the left we no longer expect immigrants to become Americans with a common language that keeps us tethered together.
Today it's multi-culturalism, and many seperate groups will emerge demanding their own power and seperate identity.

What it now comes down to is we are destined, in a large part to social media such as this, to be at each others throat from this point forward.

We are beginning to resemble the Wiemar Republic.

Do tell, what in it's 14 year history (before being overthrown by Hitler) do you find simular with our 230+ years?

"Before George W. Bush was president, it was not unusual for both parties to give some ground in the interest of the people and to address the challenges of running the country. Indeed, Democrats conceded many positions during the Bush administration to keep the government functioning even though Republican policies were not economically sound, and to maintain America’s standing as a unified nation in a time of crisis. However, since the election of Barack Obama, Republicans have adopted a zero-tolerance for compromise and began the President’s term promising to obstruct any legislation including their own ideas. It is the first time in American history that one political party is more than willing to bring the entire country down before they will compromise, recognize “conventional understanding of facts, evidence or science, and more importantly, acknowledge the legitimacy of its political opposition.”

The gridlock in Washington is entirely the fault of Republicans who were all too anxious to take any steps to deny President Obama a second term and oppose every initiative unanimously, and at the beginning of the 112th Congress sought to repeal any achievement to delegitimize the President and his policies. America’s first credit downgrade in its history arrived because Republicans were unwilling to take a balanced approach to debt reduction by raising revenue in conjunction with spending cuts, and Republican budget proposals reflect that unbalanced approach will be the order of the day if Republicans win the White House and both houses of Congress. The ideological gap has been blamed on extremists in the teabag caucus, but the GOP was already lurching to the extremist right before the 2010 elections by refusing to govern; even from a minority position."

The Mainstream Media Finally Realizes That the Republicans are the Problem

Obviously you are looking through lefty goggles. You are an idiot if you say the polarization of the nation is entirely the republicans fault. You are way off because as I recall president Obama was not worried about getting any support from the republicans with any bill. Actually I would argue it has been the left. They have gone way too far to the left. This has created a great divide in this country and placed the democrats in a place all by themselves. The rest of the country is still center right while the left have left the globe. Don’t worry though after 2012 elections Democrats will realize what has happened and come back to the right some.

I said 'beginning', and the similarities are economic chaos, civil disorder and political polarization.

You are welcome.

I think their ecomonic crisis was much worse. It exited for their entire 14 year history. The anti Vietnam war demostrations were much worse than the mostly non violent OWS protests. Compared to the German Republic we have no civil disorder. They also had many more political parties so the polarization in Germany was radically different than the two party circus that we have.

Thanks anyway.

When the stated top priority of the opposing party is to make sure the President doesn't get a second term it's kind of hard to find common ground that moves the country forward.

Afterall, moving the country forward helps the President get re-elected, and Republicans were quite vocal that their top priority was to prevent that.

Not when you are talking about the worse president in the history of this nation. Why would you want to give a second term? Especially when it is obvious he has no intention of ever working with congress. If you mean forward as in far left then you are right no republicans were on board with that. You do realize that they have different ideology so of course they are going to see things differently. But the president is supposed to lead and get things done regardless of obstacles. He has to remember the other folks were elected as well and all are representing their citizens. Lastly, Democrats ran both houses of congress for the first two years of office. How can you blame republicans when he didn’t even need them?

It was announced as the Republican leadership's top priority.

In other words, what's good for America is bad Republicans.

It is always the top priority of the party on the outs to win the next election.

So given a choice between helping the country and winning the next election, your party chose to win the next election?

Well that's par for your course. Pathetic and treasonous, but par.

Nothing the democrats were doing was helping America. They were actually hurting America. Look at the end results after 2 years of democrats running all branches of government.

"Before George W. Bush was president, it was not unusual for both parties to give some ground in the interest of the people and to address the challenges of running the country. Indeed, Democrats conceded many positions during the Bush administration to keep the government functioning even though Republican policies were not economically sound, and to maintain America’s standing as a unified nation in a time of crisis. However, since the election of Barack Obama, Republicans have adopted a zero-tolerance for compromise and began the President’s term promising to obstruct any legislation including their own ideas. It is the first time in American history that one political party is more than willing to bring the entire country down before they will compromise, recognize “conventional understanding of facts, evidence or science, and more importantly, acknowledge the legitimacy of its political opposition.”

The gridlock in Washington is entirely the fault of Republicans who were all too anxious to take any steps to deny President Obama a second term and oppose every initiative unanimously, and at the beginning of the 112th Congress sought to repeal any achievement to delegitimize the President and his policies. America’s first credit downgrade in its history arrived because Republicans were unwilling to take a balanced approach to debt reduction by raising revenue in conjunction with spending cuts, and Republican budget proposals reflect that unbalanced approach will be the order of the day if Republicans win the White House and both houses of Congress. The ideological gap has been blamed on extremists in the teabag caucus, but the GOP was already lurching to the extremist right before the 2010 elections by refusing to govern; even from a minority position."

Obviously you are looking through lefty goggles. You are an idiot if you say the polarization of the nation is entirely the republicans fault. You are way off because as I recall president Obama was not worried about getting any support from the republicans with any bill. Actually I would argue it has been the left. They have gone way too far to the left. This has created a great divide in this country and placed the democrats in a place all by themselves. The rest of the country is still center right while the left have left the globe. Don’t worry though after 2012 elections Democrats will realize what has happened and come back to the right some.

First of all see that link that is underlined. Click on it to see the entire article.

Frankly I think the great divide is all in the Faux News viewer heads. If anything the President has incorporated too many republican ideas to make him a leftist.

It is always the top priority of the party on the outs to win the next election.

So given a choice between helping the country and winning the next election, your party chose to win the next election?

Nothing the democrats were doing was helping America. They were actually hurting America. Look at the end results after 2 years of democrats running all branches of government.

In 2011, congressional Republicans came closer than ever before to breaching the debt ceiling and setting off a global financial crisis. In the end, they pulled back moments before we toppled into the abyss. But by then, they had already done serious damage to the recovery.

Early in the year, the economy seemed to be gathering momentum. In February, it added 220,000 jobs. In March, it added 246,000 jobs. In April, 251,000 jobs. But as markets began to take the Republican threats on the debt ceiling more seriously, the economy sputtered. Between May and August, the nation never added more than 100,000 jobs a month. And then, in September, the month after the debt ceiling was resolved, the economy sped back up and added more than 200,000 jobs.

14 reasons why this is the worst Congress ever

First of all see that link that is underlined. Click on it to see the entire article.

Frankly I think the great divide is all in the Faux News viewer heads. If anything the President has incorporated too many republican ideas to make him a leftist.

I started to read the article but as soon as it said republicans are just for making the 1 percent richer I stopped. The writer of this article is obviously a heavy liberal and therefore not worth my time to finish reading. The fact is it is the president that has failed. Every leader in history had to deal with opposing views. Heck even kings had to deal with the nobles and Caesar had to deal with the senate. This president’s inability to deal with congress is the problem. There has never been a president that did not have to deal with congress. In fact I would say Obama had it easier than most having a yes Congress his first two years. I would also argue if it had not been for the 2010 election we would be in far worse shape than we are today. The democrats were taking this country down fast before the republicans got into office to obstruct their destruction of this country. Sometimes, many times, no is better than yes when it comes to government.

In 2011, congressional Republicans came closer than ever before to breaching the debt ceiling and setting off a global financial crisis. In the end, they pulled back moments before we toppled into the abyss. But by then, they had already done serious damage to the recovery.

Early in the year, the economy seemed to be gathering momentum. In February, it added 220,000 jobs. In March, it added 246,000 jobs. In April, 251,000 jobs. But as markets began to take the Republican threats on the debt ceiling more seriously, the economy sputtered. Between May and August, the nation never added more than 100,000 jobs a month. And then, in September, the month after the debt ceiling was resolved, the economy sped back up and added more than 200,000 jobs.

14 reasons why this is the worst Congress ever

That was tax time. The economy always starts to pick up at the beginning of the year when the federal government gives hand outs. Every single solitary year the beginning is always better. The fact that it was just a little better then and this year tells you it is not going to be a good year. As far as the debt ceiling goes, we are spending too much money. We have to stop. Is it going to be painful of course but it has to happen. This can’t continue period. By the way economist now are agreeing with republicans that in a down economy stimulus really does not help because the amount of doubt surrounding the situation. The money does not spread as originally thought. That is why France has just now changed their mind about doing a stimulus and instead is going to do spending cuts. Shhhh Don’t tell Obama and the democrats that because it is just probably lies by the republicans to make the top 1 percent richer.

I started to read the article but as soon as it said republicans are just for making the 1 percent richer I stopped. The writer of this article is obviously a heavy liberal and therefore not worth my time to finish reading. The fact is it is the president that has failed. Every leader in history had to deal with opposing views. Heck even kings had to deal with the nobles and Caesar had to deal with the senate. This president’s inability to deal with congress is the problem. There has never been a president that did not have to deal with congress. In fact I would say Obama had it easier than most having a yes Congress his first two years. I would also argue if it had not been for the 2010 election we would be in far worse shape than we are today. The democrats were taking this country down fast before the republicans got into office to obstruct their destruction of this country. Sometimes, many times, no is better than yes when it comes to government.

Then I realy can't take anything you say seriously, here's something else you probably will not read.

Want to end partisan politics? Here’s what won’t work — and what will. - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back