The Official God FAQ

Yeah about all the crap people make up.

Like FSM.

Urban legend

Based on a true story.

Atheist in a university classroom is upstaged by a piece of chalk-Fiction!

manufactured by fundies to denigrate atheists.

lol, poor little atheists. Can bash Christians till the cows come home but boy, don't anyone dare hand it back to them, huh?

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of these types of threads. My mistake was in trying to get you both to think for half a second.

Like FSM.
No one actually believes FSM, it's parody

Yeah but there's extremely large changes in detail

"We've never found any evidence that an incident of this nature has taken place involving a piece of chalk, but there is a first-hand source of a similar, older story, which the chalk tale may be based upon.

First, the University of Southern California has officially denied that this ever happened there. Dr. Dallas Willard, a philosophy professor at USC, has told TruthOrFiction.com that he's never heard of it happening in his more than 30 years at the school."

It turns out it was based on a piece of glass the class was supposed to stop from breaking through the power of prayer. Although if you really want to be sure prayer can do squat you'd have to repeat the experiment probably hundreds of times with and without praying. Sorry but assuming it actually happened it proves absolutely nothing.

lol, poor little atheists. Can bash Christians till the cows come home but boy, don't anyone dare hand it back to them, huh?

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of these types of threads. My mistake was in trying to get you both to think for half a second.

I did think about it scientifically and have come to the conclusion that we can't make any conclusions from a single solitary incident.

Oh and your source says the professor was a deist so there's no need to make this about atheism.

Oh, I see, it's not a true story, it's BASED on a true story and that story is heresay from one person who claims to have witnessed it (nevermind that the urban legend is a gross exaggeration of the alleged true story). Who do you think you're fooling Boingo?

He's got YOU foaming at the mouth trying to prove YOUR religion is superior.:lol:

How's YOUR religion working for you? I figure anyone that has to spend as much time as some of you trying to prove there's no God worship disbelief as much as anyone else worships their religion.

Matter of fact, you've got me hands down on the subject. I've never spent a minute trying to prove God exists.

Stop trying to force your religion on me.

I don't have a religion and the FAQ site doesn't force religion (or non-belief)on anyone. There is a difference between stating a non-belief and proselytizing. I've never told anyone that they should adopt atheism and I've never tried to prove there is no god.

He's got YOU foaming at the mouth trying to prove YOUR religion is superior.:lol:

So refuting his assertion is equated to "foaming at the mouth? Interesting. I will remind you that I don't have any religion.

I don't have a religion and the FAQ site doesn't force religion (or non-belief)on anyone. There is a difference between stating a non-belief and proselytizing. I've never told anyone that they should adopt atheism and I've never tried to prove there is no god.

Of course you don't.:lol:

Buddy, if you think what you do is any less than proselytizing, I suggest a good dose of self-examination. You preach more than any Southern Baptist fire-n-brimstone, "you're all going to Hell" pastor I've ever known.:lol:

Oh, and I didn't say your were trying to preach atheism, did I? I said you spend more time ranting against the existence of God than I EVER have spent trying to prove he exists.

People like you crack me up.:lol:

Of course you don't.:lol:

Buddy, if you think what you do is any less than proselytizing, I suggest a good dose of self-examination. You preach more than any Southern Baptist fire-n-brimstone, "you're all going to Hell" pastor I've ever known.:lol:

Oh, and I didn't say your were trying to preach atheism, did I? I said you spend more time ranting against the existence of God than I EVER have spent trying to prove he exists.

People like you crack me up.:lol:

So I proselytize but don't preach atheism? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I also don't "rant against the existence of god" but if it makes you feel superior by saying that, then have yourself a ball.

No one actually believes FSM, it's parody

It's crap.

It turns out it was based on a piece of glass the class was supposed to stop from breaking through the power of prayer.

And they did.

I did think about it scientifically and have come to the conclusion that we can't make any conclusions from a single solitary incident.

Says the faithless. :rolleyes:

Oh and your source says the professor was a deist so there's no need to make this about atheism.

Summary of Rumor
A notorious atheist professor at the University of Southern California

On the Youtube video, third frame, 12 seconds in, it says the professor was a deeply commited atheist.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=piuoGb-Nhfw]YouTube - This Should Keep Us All Thinking[/ame]

Oh, I see, it's not a true story, it's BASED on a true story and that story is heresay from one person who claims to have witnessed it (nevermind that the urban legend is a gross exaggeration of the alleged true story). Who do you think you're fooling Boingo?

Is your thinking cap working yet?

It's crap.
Yes it's fiction, that's the whole damn point.

And they did.
Then why did it fail so many other times? Unless you can do it on cue it's most likely a coincidence. It's like those scam artist who pretend to talk to the dead by guessing things about a stranger's dead relatives. A lot of the times they get things wrong but they can point to the number of times they got something right as proof that they have a 'gift'. However most of them have refused to let their gift be tested by scientific means, even though one organization offers a million dollar prize if they can prove to have paranormal powers. The ones that have have all failed.

Says the faithless. :rolleyes:

The preceding argument was a textbook example of ad hominem and should not be used by anyone who wishes to engage in any actual debate

Do you honestly believe every stupid story someone tells you? You shouldn't because not every urban legend is true.

Summary of Rumor
A notorious atheist professor at the University of Southern California

On the Youtube video, third frame, 12 seconds in, it says the professor was a deeply commited atheist.

YouTube - This Should Keep Us All Thinking

The youtube video has no sources, the other one that says he was a deist actually has sources. In fact they even give a link proving it didn't happen at USC which is what the youtube video claims.

http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/dt/V136/N04/04-philoso.04c.html

Is your thinking cap working yet?

Do you have any arguments or just insults?

Last edited:
Then why did it fail so many other times? Unless you can do it on cue it's most likely a coincidence. It's like those scam artist who pretend to talk to the dead by guessing things about a stranger's dead relatives. A lot of the times they get things wrong but they can point to the number of times they got something right as proof that they have a 'gift'. However most of them have refused to let their gift be tested by scientific means, even though one organization offers a million dollar prize if they can prove to have paranormal powers. The ones that have have all failed.

Is this really how you view prayer? Say a prayer, if you don't immediately get an answer then that's proof that it doesn't work or that there is no God? Or if you pray and you don't get the answer you want, then it's all a sham? Do you reallly think God works like the government . . . say a prayer and poof! He will provide you your bailout?

If you're at all interested in this I suggest you go talk to a professional. A priest, minister, whoever. However, I suspect you won't do this but will continue to mock those who believe.

The youtube video has no sources, the other one that says he was a deist actually has sources. In fact they even give a link proving it didn't happen at USC which is what the youtube video claims.

Whatever . . . but both the youtube vid and the article called him an atheist. Shame on me for thinking he was, you know, an atheist. :rolleyes:

Do you have any arguments or just insults?

Insults? I asked a serious question. I'm not looking to debate anything; not interested. I threw the youtube video out there simply for food for thought. I spent a number of years questioning God and wondering at times if He really did exist. I was hoping you might, just for a moment, do the same and consider that He does exist. From your posts, I don't think you've done this. So in answer to my question of 'did you put your thinking cap on yet?', I'd say the answer is no. Whatever.

Is this really how you view prayer? Say a prayer, if you don't immediately get an answer then that's proof that it doesn't work or that there is no God? Or if you pray and you don't get the answer you want, then it's all a sham? Do you reallly think God works like the government . . . say a prayer and poof! He will provide you your bailout?

If you're at all interested in this I suggest you go talk to a professional. A priest, minister, whoever. However, I suspect you won't do this but will continue to mock those who believe.

I mock the idea that a single glass flask out of dozens of failures proves that prayer did anything.

Whatever . . . but both the youtube vid and the article called him an atheist. Shame on me for thinking he was, you know, an atheist. :rolleyes:

Only the youtube video said he was an atheist, the other article said he was a deist.

"There is a related story, however, told by author Richard H. Harvey in his book 70 YEARS OF MIRACLES. It's a first-hand account of his experience in a Chemistry class at Allegheny College in Meadville, Pennsylvania in the 1920's. Harvey says the professor, a Dr. Lee, was a deist who annually lectured against prayer."

It does mention the atheist story but then says there's no proof of that version happening.
Insults? I asked a serious question. I'm not looking to debate anything; not interested. I threw the youtube video out there simply for food for thought. I spent a number of years questioning God and wondering at times if He really did exist. I was hoping you might, just for a moment, do the same and consider that He does exist. From your posts, I don't think you've done this. So in answer to my question of 'did you put your thinking cap on yet?', I'd say the answer is no. Whatever.

I'm skeptical, I'm not going to believe in God just because of a story where a piece of glass or chalk rolled off someone's legs and hit the ground unscathed (even if we do assume it's a true story).

Forum List

Back