The Official God FAQ

If you can't summarize the gist of his point without swear words I'm not interested.

I think there's this idea that because I'm a Christian that I think Christianity is above criticism. Nothing could be further from the truth and I've already said so. I don't really care if some comedian is making fun of Christianity or criticizing it. I'd rather discuss the ideas and issues with people, not YouTube clips.

What's a simple joke? Is creating a fake religion like the FSM or creating a 1 entry joke FAQ web page a simple joke? To me it seems like a little more effort than a simple joke. YMMV.

Listen, you idiot, if you read the FSM website instead of displaying your kneejerk reaction to what you THOUGHT it said, you would have seen the purpose behind it. The fact that it is a fake religion is the whole point! No one is pretending that it is a real religion and it is NOT an attack on christianity or any other religion. Read the website and stop your whining.

Then they are hypocrites.

I don't know that it's "so many people" I'm only speaking for myself. I think it's rude. I don't make fun of handicapped people or the mentally disabled either. This should be fun now to hear how I just grouped religious people with the mentally handicapped. Bring on the sad cleverness folks, you know you want to. :rolleyes:

And here you are claiming that you were not offended. Hah.:lol:

Last edited:
Then be fair and read my comment again. I said "make fun of" I didn't say anything about protesting.

Nice eqivicating, there, Amanda.

You don't object to making fun of people's religions, but you don't mind those outright insults to them?

Fine, remind me about that parcing equicative nature of yours when somebody pisses on the Christian Bible, will you?

Because pissing on the Bible isn't mocking it, it's just insulting it outright.

Big big difference, eh?

I've yet to meet an atheist missionary.
At least me and the other atheists aren't out ringing doorbells like the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Not yet anyway. :lol:

Where did Devnell say he lives? :razz:

I had no idea what it is like out here. Being born again here is like having walked in the Boston Public Gardens back home. I could have fun with people, but I've grown accustomed to tolerating nitwits and kooks...learned lots on message boards.

I've yet to meet an atheist missionary.
At least me and the other atheists aren't out ringing doorbells like the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Not yet anyway. :lol:

Where did Devnell say he lives? :razz:

Well what on earth would possess athiests to give up their time freely to convince people to believe what they do? There is nothing of worth to Athiesm.

Nice eqivicating, there, Amanda.

You don't object to making fun of people's religions, but you don't mind those outright insults to them?

Fine, remind me about that parcing equicative nature of yours when somebody pisses on the Christian Bible, will you?

Because pissing on the Bible isn't mocking it, it's just insulting it outright.

Big big difference, eh?

Not understanding why someone would do it and taking the position that they can't isn't the same thing. You want to urinate on a Bible or flush a Koran down a toilet to make a point? Go ahead, they are just books. I personally wouldn't do it.

I'm blown away at how personally some of you have managed to take my opinion about what I think is proper and decent conduct.

"When it comes to nonsense you have to stand in awe, in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bs story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of Ten Things he does not want you to do. And if you do Any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send You to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
Funny how he seems to be using religion as a synonym for Christianity. "Religion" doesn't have those things. And some of those things are even pretty hard to find in Christianity. But I guess it's harder to make a point or be funny if you stick to facts.

He then goes on to talk about he tried believing in God but he can't because
War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption,
He then says that God is either incompetent or he doesn't care.
Then he goes on to talk about prayer and about the possibility of your prayer ruining his Divine Plan
Joe
Now finally does this make him intolerant or bigoted or something else?
It makes him someone that doesn't understand God.

The FSM is, try talking to some of them who pretend to follow that religion, they act pretty goofy. Lighthearted satire isn't really mean.
Obviously. The question was: is it a "simple" joke? I would say that telling a joke to some friends at a party is "simple joke" territory. Having a website and selling t-shirts is a little more elaborate. In either case I don't find much to be funny in denigrating someone's sacred beliefs (though I guess if you can't BBQ a sacred cow why would you even bother) but one just shows SO much effort to do so that it sort of puts it into a different level of attempted obnoxiousness to me. But whatever, I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Aye, but I doubt they realize it.
I'm glad you do, that gives us some common ground.

A lot of people I've met seem to think that religion is a great taboo subject to joke about or make fun of.
For me it is, YMMV.

Not understanding why someone would do it and taking the position that they can't isn't the same thing. You want to urinate on a Bible or flush a Koran down a toilet to make a point? Go ahead, they are just books. I personally wouldn't do it.

I'm blown away at how personally some of you have managed to take my opinion about what I think is proper and decent conduct.

Hey......whatever you think is proper and decent conduct is cool.

Just be careful that you don't ignore the things behind you, waiting to tear your head off. If you don't notice (and UNDERSTAND) everything around you, chances are, it can sneak up and hurt ya bad.

Good example is camoflauge that spiders and snakes use. If you don't know how to spot 'em, as well as know where they like to inhabit and what they do, you'll walk right over 'em and get bit, and possibly killed.

Same thing in a war zone. If you don't understand what someone is doing, or what something is, and you mess with it? You end up dead.

Also applies in civilian life. If you're a hick from the backwater of rural USA, and you're dropped in the center of Times Square, chances are you're gonna get robbed, raped, mugged or killed.

But....you also might end up meeting some really cool people. Depends on how aware you are.

Have your views Amanda, just don't ignore or discount others.

Funny how he seems to be using religion as a synonym for Christianity. "Religion" doesn't have those things. And some of those things are even pretty hard to find in Christianity. But I guess it's harder to make a point or be funny if you stick to facts.

Besides some exaggerations (normal in comedy) what did he get so wrong?

Obviously. The question was: is it a "simple" joke? I would say that telling a joke to some friends at a party is "simple joke" territory. Having a website and selling t-shirts is a little more elaborate. In either case I don't find much to be funny in denigrating someone's sacred beliefs (though I guess if you can't BBQ a sacred cow why would you even bother) but one just shows SO much effort to do so that it sort of puts it into a different level of attempted obnoxiousness to me. But whatever, I guess everyone needs a hobby.

From what I understand the whole thing was a joke as an attempt to mock the 'teach different schools of thought' stuff. Basically if you're going to teach intelligent design teach the version where a flying spaghetti monster makes everything.

For me it is, YMMV.

My feeling is that something that plays a big a role in society as religion should never be grouped in a 'though shalt not mock' category.

YMMV (tm)

In either case I don't find much to be funny in denigrating someone's sacred beliefs (though I guess if you can't BBQ a sacred cow why would you even bother) but one just shows SO much effort to do so that it sort of puts it into a different level of attempted obnoxiousness to me. But whatever, I guess everyone needs a hobby.

What beliefs is it denigrating and how? I think you're looking for something to be offended by.

From what I understand the whole thing was a joke as an attempt to mock the 'teach different schools of thought' stuff. Basically if you're going to teach intelligent design teach the version where a flying spaghetti monster makes everything.

That is exactly why the FSM was created. It says "if you want to have your beliefs taught without requiring any proof, then my beliefs have equal standing and should be taught, too". It was made intentionally ridiculous to prove a point. I guess that is the point that Amanda missed. She was so busy getting her back up that she didn't bother looking at the real facts. Not the first time she's done this, either.

Besides some exaggerations (normal in comedy) what did he get so wrong?
He generalizes and takes a particular view of things. He may be talking about the views some people hold, but not me.

To me it's like whatever. I don't see any problem with intelligent design and evolution both being correct ways to look at how things happened. The FSM is obviously a joke and it's obviously meant to make people turn away from their religion or for non-believers to mock believers. I don't see the point. I'm a Christian and I don't mock the views of other religions or even atheists, I just don't see the point.

My feeling is that something that plays a big a role in society as religion should never be grouped in a 'though shalt not mock' category.
That's fine. Clearly freedom of speech gives people the right to mock religion and that's ok with me. I just won't do it.

Hey......whatever you think is proper and decent conduct is cool.

Just be careful that you don't ignore the things behind you, waiting to tear your head off. If you don't notice (and UNDERSTAND) everything around you, chances are, it can sneak up and hurt ya bad.
Have your views Amanda, just don't ignore or discount others.

Thanks. I think I'd pretty aware of what others think. I try very hard to be respectful of others. I think if you look at my behavior here you won't see me calling anyone a moron or swearing at them. Of course I don't agree with some, sometimes quite vehemently, but I still don't let me feelings get in the way of being civil (I hope).

Do you think there are any views that I'm not aware of that I should be?

What beliefs is it denigrating and how? I think you're looking for something to be offended by.

I think you're fixated on me being offended. I'm not offended by others beliefs or by people mocking mine. I think it's silly. I think it's a waste of time. But actually get upset? Why bother? I don't think you get me very well. All I've been saying is I don't understand why people mock others beliefs. That's it.

I think you're fixated on me being offended. I'm not offended by others beliefs or by people mocking mine. I think it's silly. I think it's a waste of time. But actually get upset? Why bother? I don't think you get me very well. All I've been saying is I don't understand why people mock others beliefs. That's it.

But what you're seeing is NOT mocking others' beliefs. Whose beliefs are being mocked?

bizarro_atheists.jpg

Forum List

Back