The Official God FAQ

I fail to see it. Only people who say there is a god are trying to prove anything. I am a non believer in the supernatural or spiritual. I not only do NOT have anything to prove, I don't care. If it weren't for the assault on my senses and mind by the suspension of critical thinking skills on the part of otherwise bright people I wouldn't even reply when the subject comes up. But, I am amused when bright people suspend reality and go supernatural on me...it's like going to the Zoo and seeing a chimp type out Tolstoy's War and Peace.

No sense of humor, eh? That's fine with me. Whatever works for you.

I have a fine sense of humor. I also see you aren't biting. Don't like today's bait special?

What's there to bite? You've joined the cult of non-believers. Have you heard of the "Atheist Advertisement on Buses!" in England? Atheists are proselytizing from buses now. It's hilarious! These people don't have a clue. :lol::cuckoo:

What's there to bite? You've joined the cult of non-believers. Have you heard of the "Atheist Advertisement on Buses!" in England? Atheists are proselytizing from buses now. It's hilarious! These people don't have a clue. :lol::cuckoo:

I have little time for Atheists. I have less for Atheists who proselytize. They are often certifiable. And yes, I laugh at them. :lol:

I have answered this same basic question so many times so you'll have to forgive me for not hurrying around to answer it everytime someone asks it again and again.

For the record, I don't care what anyone else believes in. You can believe in the FSM or bellybutton lint. You can call what you believe in God or you can call it dog or you can not believe in anything if that's how you roll. I don't care. For me to think it disrespectful I'd have to care.

Then what is the reason for your public shitfit on this and the FSM thread? If you don't care, then you'd pass right by it as you should have because there is nothing offensive about it.

I have little time for Atheists. I have less for Atheists who proselytize. They are often certifiable. And yes, I laugh at them. :lol:

I don't see any atheists proselytizing, do you?

I have answered this same basic question so many times so you'll have to forgive me for not hurrying around to answer it everytime someone asks it again and again.

How many times have I asked you that question? You're giving me an attitude because you've answered the question so many times for other people? Geez, however do you fit that massive head through a doorway?

Then what is the reason for your public shitfit on this and the FSM thread? If you don't care, then you'd pass right by it as you should have because there is nothing offensive about it.

I posted my opinion, that's what you do on message boards. The shift is I realized you were trolling.

I posted my opinion, that's what you do on message boards. The shift is I realized you were trolling.

So now you're going to clam up, run away and call me a troll because you can't explain why you take offense at these 2 websites? This behavior is not a surprise coming from you, Amanda. What a self centered little priss you are.

Harvard Square...used to be every Saturday. Then there are the cable access shows. You need to get out of your shell more often. The Atheist Society(s) are full of proselytizers on medication.

So christians can do it but not atheists? You have to admit, if there are any atheist proselytizers, there are far fewer of the atheist variety than there are of the christian variety.

Why yes avoiding something genuinely funny just because it may have 'bad words' is a pity.
In your opinion.
I listened to a few minutes of him once, I didn't care for it. I didn't like what he was saying or how he was saying it. I don't think a guy yelling about what he thinks is stupid with as many cuss words as he can jam in is funny. It's not my cup of tea. I'm not sure how else to say this to you, except that I don't intend to subject myself to any more of it.

I meant I'd wait if you wanted to see it, but it's a great conversation starter for the whole thing. There's not a whole lot of profanity in that particular clip
If you think it's that special then summarize it.

Hence why I posted the Carlin clip, I wanted to know if you thought that constituted intolerance or constructive criticism.

I really don't see how making fun of something is intolerant. Can I make fun of hippies or their way of life or would that be intolerant to the residents of Haight Ashbury (yes I know they're not all hippies but bear with me). Can I make fun of the principles of Judaism or would that make me intolerant of Jews. How about Scientology? You know they've claimed that some specific (verbal) attacks on them were hateful and intolerant. The question remains, can I call them a cult or would that be intolerant?

What makes religion so special that to make fun of it is so bad? I'd really like to know.

What makes someone's mom so special that if you insult her you end up in a fist fight? To me somethings are out of bounds. I don't have to agree with them but there's no need to mock them either. I don't like homosexuality but I don't go around making fun of them or what they do or why they do it. I don't go out of my way to be mean to them by mocking them.

If you want to have a discussion about this fine, but you can leave your comedian buddy out of it because I don't have any interest in hearing his foul mouth. I think it would be interesting to talk about how some groups are protected like ethnic minorities or gays. You can't make jokes about them of the PC police would show up and give you what for. On the other hand it's open season on Christianity, you won't see the PC SWAT van roll up and take up positions to defend Christianity. In fact, when I see Christianity being dissed it's usually by people wearing the PC Police uniform. So all I'm saying is I think there's an element of hypocrisy there. If you want to be PC it should apply to everyone and everything.

If you think it's that special then summarize it.

Would the written version be ok, honestly there's the s word (and variations) and other than that it's really mild on the cursing? I think it's odd though that you see a few minutes of him and instantly judge the rest of his work.

What makes someone's mom so special that if you insult her you end up in a fist fight? To me somethings are out of bounds. I don't have to agree with them but there's no need to mock them either. I don't like homosexuality but I don't go around making fun of them or what they do or why they do it. I don't go out of my way to be mean to them by mocking them.

I don't either but I don't think a simple joke at their expense every now and then is intolerant. Same with every other group.

If you want to have a discussion about this fine, but you can leave your comedian buddy out of it because I don't have any interest in hearing his foul mouth. I think it would be interesting to talk about how some groups are protected like ethnic minorities or gays. You can't make jokes about them of the PC police would show up and give you what for. On the other hand it's open season on Christianity, you won't see the PC SWAT van roll up and take up positions to defend Christianity. In fact, when I see Christianity being dissed it's usually by people wearing the PC Police uniform. So all I'm saying is I think there's an element of hypocrisy there. If you want to be PC it should apply to everyone and everything.

I've never actually seen the dreaded PC police (or maybe I have and didn't recognize them), but I honestly couldn't care less about being politically correct.

But if you ask me I think they only protect the minority groups under the mistaken impression that they need special protection as opposed to the majority groups who they think don't need help, and may even be involved in the harassing.

I'd still like to know why so many people think religion should be out of bounds when making jokes.

Last edited:
So christians can do it but not atheists? You have to admit, if there are any atheist proselytizers, there are far fewer of the atheist variety than there are of the christian variety.
I've yet to meet an atheist missionary.
At least me and the other atheists aren't out ringing doorbells like the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Not yet anyway. :lol:

Where did Devnell say he lives? :razz:

Would the written version be ok, honestly there's the s word (and variations) and other than that it's really mild on the cursing? I think it's odd though that you see a few minutes of him and instantly judge the rest of his work.
If you can't summarize the gist of his point without swear words I'm not interested.

I think there's this idea that because I'm a Christian that I think Christianity is above criticism. Nothing could be further from the truth and I've already said so. I don't really care if some comedian is making fun of Christianity or criticizing it. I'd rather discuss the ideas and issues with people, not YouTube clips.

I don't either but I don't think a simple joke at their expense every now and then is intolerant. Same with every other group.
What's a simple joke? Is creating a fake religion like the FSM or creating a 1 entry joke FAQ web page a simple joke? To me it seems like a little more effort than a simple joke. YMMV.

I've never actually seen the dreaded PC police (or maybe I have and didn't recognize them), but I honestly couldn't care less about being politically correct.

But if you ask me I think they only protect the minority groups under the mistaken impression that they need special protection as opposed to the majority groups who they think don't need help, and may even be involved in the harassing.
Then they are hypocrites.

I'd still like to know why so many people think religion should be out of bounds when making jokes.
I don't know that it's "so many people" I'm only speaking for myself. I think it's rude. I don't make fun of handicapped people or the mentally disabled either. This should be fun now to hear how I just grouped religious people with the mentally handicapped. Bring on the sad cleverness folks, you know you want to. :rolleyes:

If you can't summarize the gist of his point without swear words I'm not interested.

Sometimes there just isn't as good of a way to get your point across then by swearing. How would you water down him calling it "the greatest bullshit story ever told." with the same impact?

But ok since you insist on not hearing the dreaded 7 words (or any other profanity) for whatever reason here's the censored compressed version. (Although it's hard to pin down tone with text).

(Wall of text follows trying to summarize the 10 minute bit)

"When it comes to nonsense you have to stand in awe, in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bs story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of Ten Things he does not want you to do. And if you do Any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send You to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.

He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bs story. Holy Cow!"

He then goes on to talk about he tried believing in God but he can't because

"Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. "

He then says that God is either incompetent or he doesn't care.

Then he jokes about worshiping the sun instead of God and talks about how that's a better deal.

Then he goes on to talk about prayer and about the possibility of your prayer ruining his Divine Plan. Then he says this

"And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing."

Then he jokes about praying to Joe Pesci saying his prayers still get answered at the same 50-50 rate as they did with God. Then he goes on about how if you're looking for morals from the Bible he would suggest you also look through mother goose. And then ends it with "if there is a God may he strike this audience dead." Then "if there is a god may he stirke me dead." He pretends to be in slight pain and attributes it to Joe Pesci.

Now finally does this make him intolerant or bigoted or something else?

What's a simple joke? Is creating a fake religion like the FSM or creating a 1 entry joke FAQ web page a simple joke? To me it seems like a little more effort than a simple joke. YMMV.

The FSM is, try talking to some of them who pretend to follow that religion, they act pretty goofy. Lighthearted satire isn't really mean.

Then they are hypocrites.

Aye, but I doubt they realize it.

I don't know that it's "so many people" I'm only speaking for myself. I think it's rude. I don't make fun of handicapped people or the mentally disabled either. This should be fun now to hear how I just grouped religious people with the mentally handicapped. Bring on the sad cleverness folks, you know you want to. :rolleyes:

A lot of people I've met seem to think that religion is a great taboo subject to joke about or make fun of.

I've yet to meet an atheist missionary.
At least me and the other atheists aren't out ringing doorbells like the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Not yet anyway. :lol:

Where did Devnell say he lives? :razz:
Same here. There are some radical atheists but the basis of what we all do is stand up for our rights and not try to convert others to atheism.

Forum List

Back