The next time somebody says "Happy Holidays"...

Run this past them on the origin of the word:

1500s, earlier haliday (c.1200), from old English haligdæg "holy day; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning "religious festival."

Here they think they're being all clever and non-religious...

Wait until lefties find out about this!

I may start saying "happy holidays" since religious fanatics take it as an insult. I say merry Christmas out of habit but getting reactionary assholes riled up over dumb shit is a gift that keeps on giving.

I think this stuff has really sullied the "holiday".

I just wish the left wouldn't make such a ruckus when a school wants to have an old fashioned "Christmas" play.

Goes both ways.

My son and I went out to dinner tonight...when the server brought the check, she said "Happy Holidays", and I returned the sentiment. I wouldn't have cared if she'd said "Merry Christmas" or "enjoy your evening", I was just pleased to have received good service. I also understand that people can go to either extreme, so wishing a "Merry Christmas" could just as easily result in your head being bitten off by someone of another faith or no faith at all...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well if you were my dad's wife you would have yelled out, "NO! WE CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!"

Sounds like it's a bitch being married to your dad.

1500s, earlier haliday (c.1200), from old English haligdæg "holy day; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning "religious festival."

Happy Holidays isn't about being non-religious, you fucking idiot... it's about acknowledging more than one religious holiday during this season, some of which are even celebrated secularly.

If you're one of those fucking bitches like my dad's wife who goes APESHIT if somebody says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, then you have some fucking problems.

You sure have a big mouth lefty hiding behind a computer. It's about majority rule and the majority of people are Christians in the U.S.

Now go fuck yourself punk.

LOL wow, your head's wedged pretty far up your ass. It's got fuck-all to do with lefty/righty majority anything. It's about respect for other people and other cultures. In case you haven't noticed, America is a melting pot of everyone.

My son and I went out to dinner tonight...when the server brought the check, she said "Happy Holidays", and I returned the sentiment. I wouldn't have cared if she'd said "Merry Christmas" or "enjoy your evening", I was just pleased to have received good service. I also understand that people can go to either extreme, so wishing a "Merry Christmas" could just as easily result in your head being bitten off by someone of another faith or no faith at all...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well if you were my dad's wife you would have yelled out, "NO! WE CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!"

Well that is what about 90% of us are celebrating. Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays isn't about being non-religious, you fucking idiot... it's about acknowledging more than one religious holiday during this season, some of which are even celebrated secularly.

If you're one of those fucking bitches like my dad's wife who goes APESHIT if somebody says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, then you have some fucking problems.

You sure have a big mouth lefty hiding behind a computer. It's about majority rule and the majority of people are Christians in the U.S.

LOL wow, your head's wedged pretty far up your ass. It's got fuck-all to do with lefty/righty majority anything. It's about respect for other people and other cultures. In case you haven't noticed, America is a melting pot of everyone.

I'm not here to fight, but didn't we get along for quite some time saying "merry Christmas"?
It's been only recently that that was found to be somehow offensive.
What about culture? The way I see it, atheists and the such are being intolerant.

Just a thought.

the-war-on-christmas-the-war-on-christmas-political-poster-1292776776.jpg

The left started this bullshit by certain establishments forbidding employees many years back to say "Merry Christmas" because an atheist got his/her little feeling hurt.

The PC crowd got all butthurt over it and here we are....

Personally I could give a shit. I don't say Merry anything to anybody. :fu:

It wasn't the 'PC crowd' that "butthurt over it"... it was Americans of all colors, creeds, religions, nationals, atheists, that were and are concerned about all Americans. It's called 'We the people'.

asswipe says what? :fu:

Well, then a Happy Holidays to you to, Mr. Holiday Spirit.

The left started this bullshit by certain establishments forbidding employees many years back to say "Merry Christmas" because an atheist got his/her little feeling hurt.

The PC crowd got all butthurt over it and here we are....

Personally I could give a shit. I don't say Merry anything to anybody. :fu:

It wasn't the 'PC crowd' that "butthurt over it"... it was Americans of all colors, creeds, religions, nationals, atheists, that were and are concerned about all Americans. It's called 'We the people'.

And Dec 25th is called Christmas.

My problems was when Walmart banned their employees from saying "Merry Christmas". That's just wrong. Thankfully, they finally realized that and now their employees say whatever they think is appropriate at the time. I have no problems if someone says Happy Hanaka to me (no I can't spell that word, okay, but that's the only problem I have with that. :D) I don't mine if they say Happy Holidays. I do have a small problem with Happy Kwanza in that the idiot who invented it was in jail and didn't want it celebrated by whites, it was suppose to be for blacks only. I like the virtues that Kwanza celebrates and think that it would be great if everybody celebrated those virtues.

I just don't think my boss should be able to tell me I can't say "Merry Christmas" when people are buy "Christmas" gifts. It's kind of stupid, if you ask me. I mean, if it wasn't for Christmas, they wouldn't be making all those sales.

A couple of years ago, a Rabbi at the Sea Tac Airport complained that they had up Christmas trees but no menorahs. Their answer was to take down the trees. Even the Rabbi said that wasn't his intention. As far as I'm concerned, if he want's menorah's up. let him provide them and let them put them up. They can even be next to the trees for all I care, after all, Jesus was a Jew.

One year I was at my son's school and noticed a whole wall of menorah's the kids had painted hanging on the wall and one nativity scene. I thought maybe it was just because the menorah's are easier to paint, I know I could paint candles easier than people, but the following week when I returned, even that one lone nativity scene was gone. How can one religion be okay but not another?

And I think our answer to the stupid ban on nativity scene's in public parks is for all of us Christians to put them in our front yards and light them up. Unfortunately I can't afford one. I'll put that on my list for someone to get me if they win the lottery. Imagine though, if every Christian in the city put up a nativity scene in their front yard. You couldn't get away from them and you couldn't do anything about it, it's private property. With all the hoopla about the 10 commandments in our schools an public buildings, I considered having them painting on the side of my house, but apparently that's in violation of our sign ordinance. Wonder if I could have them painted on my car. Then I could go park in front of a public building and drive someone crazy.
Just a thought.

Sometimes I say Happy Holidays. This usually is right before Thanksgiving and after Christmas. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's almost always "Merry Christmas" unless I happen to know when Hanaka is and then I say "Happy Hanaka". (don't bother, no matter how many times you tell me, I'll still spell it wrong. You know in the dictionary where it has the word and then next to it there is the phonetic spelling of the word? That's how we should spell the word!)

Forum List

Back