The long silly season of white denial

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
"It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives in 2016.

Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. We have a Black president, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with my white counterparts way too many times, but somehow I only recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now, e.g. New Jim Crow, but let’s put that aside for now.) "

The rest: Next Time Someone Asks You To Prove Racism Exists, Give Them This | HuffPost

"It’s a widely known fact that if you bring up racism enough in public a white person will materialize to tell you that race simply isn’t a major factor in our lives in 2016.

Sure, racism was real way back when, but not now, they’ll say. Nobody alive today owned slaves, they’ll say. I never see racism, they’ll say. We have a Black president, they’ll say. Back up your claim and prove racism exists, they’ll say.

You’ll present a rational argument. You’ll give them studies, persuasively written articles, and suggest books for them to read. You’ll share your personal experiences and the experiences of those you know navigating our white supremacist landscape.

They’ll argue the data aren’t sound. The writers of the articles too biased. They’ll never read the books. And they’ll dismiss the experiences as anecdotal and not representative of broader society—and don’t you dare call it a white supremacist society. That really makes white people flip their shit.

I’ve had this conversation with my white counterparts way too many times, but somehow I only recently realized how backwards it is. There’s no need to prove a foundational component of our national composition continues to shape its present state. The burden of proof is on those who claim this historical reality has been interrupted. The fact that racism exists in the United States is uncontroversial from a historical viewpoint. Ours is a nation founded on genocide, land-theft, and chattel slavery. There’s no debate over this. There’s also no debate over the existence of institutional racism throughout Old Jim Crow in the century that followed emancipation. (Nor is there any honest debate regarding the existence of institutional racism now, e.g. New Jim Crow, but let’s put that aside for now.) "

The rest: Next Time Someone Asks You To Prove Racism Exists, Give Them This | HuffPost
I don't deny I am white and I sure used my White Privilege to make it where I am today. Why the fuck would I want to use black victimhood and be poor the rest of my life? Now of course the guy in the video also used his White Privilege to become a billionaire, but why didn't he stay with his fellow blacks?

Make sure you IGNORE the video, because it doesn't help your stupid ass argument...Next time a liberal RACIST tries to call you a racist, GIVE THEM THIS..

giphy.gif

I like this bit about the burden of proof being on the people who want to "claim this historical reality has been interrupted". I flatly disagree with this assessment of responsibility.

The thing about this conversation is that the people who are calling this a white supremacist society are generally doing so as a justification for the actions that they seek to take and the policies that they hope to impose upon society. This makes assessing the burden of proof quite simple in my book.

You want me to follow a new ideology? YOU justify why I should. You want me to acquiesce to the rules of conduct that you find appropriate? YOU justify why I should. It's not my responsibility to justify my actions to you, it's your responsibility to justify why I should act according to your will.

Guess what OP
Im white and your punk ass dont make me feel guilty about that :113:

From the forum rules:

Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back