The Illusionist (Film, 2006)

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
It seems that the films I'm interested in right now are following a very specific pattern- namely, of a male and a female who want to be together, but face formidable obstacles and significant perils in accomplishing this. It only just occurred to me that the Illusionist is strikingly similar in some ways to the last film I reviewed here, Frequencies. Both in that film, and in this one, a boy and a girl want to be together from a young age, but are initially forced apart.

Like Synchronicity, The Illusionist has an awesome musical score which I think greatly aids in the film. I'll end with the opening to Roger Ebert's review of the film:
**Jean-Luc Godard famously claimed that cinema is the truth 24 times per second; Brian De Palma countered that it's really 24 lies per second; and Pablo Picasso offered the cosmic perspective that art is a lie that tells the truth. All of these things -- tricks of the eye, mechanical illusions, artistic skills, suspension of disbelief, philosophical principles, metaphysical questions -- are at the mysterious, romantic heart of "The Illusionist," written and directed byNeil Burger, and based on the story "Eisenheim the Illusionist" by Steven Millhauser.**

An additional review can be seen here:
The Illusionist

Here's the trailer:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back