The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Think it through a little. You have no right to privacy between the street and your front door when someone (anyone) wants to solicit you. You have to take steps to secure your front door if you wish it to be part of your private space. You can do this by putting a gate in your driveway.

Also if you don't want the police to tag your car without your knowledge, park it in the garage. If you don't have a garage, well that's a choice you made. You also have the right to be secure in your space and that means you can put a camera on your car. Then you'll know if the police did this without your knowledge.

I can tell you with authority that if someone wants to solicit you they have a right to walk through your gate and knock on your front door. That does not give the police the right to walk onto your property and stick a microphone on your house to listen to you.

Not if you clearly post No soliciting signs.

That is not what asterim was saying though, his claim was that anyone could solicit you unless you put up a fence.

BTW, the best sign to put up to keep people out of your yard is a Beware of Dog sign, No Soliciting signs do not always have the force of the law behind them, but no one wants to get bitten by a dog.

so what?

I allowed a few friends who associate with known gangsters to use one of my phones. I told them to take teh battery out when around their friends, and if they allowed my phones to be used to tell me so that I could give them to homeless people who ride the rails.

I love these delusional assholes who think they're so almighty important that the government wants to track their movements.

Get over yourselves.

Funny thing, I know quite a few people who the government track all day, every day. The only delusional people I know are the ones who think that the government would not want to track everyone if they had the means.

I can tell you with authority that if someone wants to solicit you they have a right to walk through your gate and knock on your front door. That does not give the police the right to walk onto your property and stick a microphone on your house to listen to you.

That is not what asterim was saying though, his claim was that anyone could solicit you unless you put up a fence.

BTW, the best sign to put up to keep people out of your yard is a Beware of Dog sign, No Soliciting signs do not always have the force of the law behind them, but no one wants to get bitten by a dog.

I have no trespassing signs up. And a couple that say beware of .45

I still had a couple of kids on 4 wheelers in a pasture a while back.
I held them till the cops came and impounded their 4 wheelers till the parents paid for the damages. Those kids believed that I would shoot them dead, and the belief as proved by palin is all that matters.

I have no trespassing signs up. And a couple that say beware of .45

I still had a couple of kids on 4 wheelers in a pasture a while back.
I held them till the cops came and impounded their 4 wheelers till the parents paid for the damages. Those kids believed that I would shoot them dead, and the belief as proved by palin is all that matters.

Works for me. :clap2:

Read more: The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS - TIME

ernment agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.

--

The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private. It was open to strangers, they said, such as delivery people and neighborhood children, who could wander across it uninvited.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, who dissented from this month's decision refusing to reconsider the case, pointed out whose homes are not open to strangers: rich people's. The court's ruling, he said, means that people who protect their homes with electric gates, fences and security booths have a large protected zone of privacy around their homes. People who cannot afford such barriers have to put up with the government sneaking around at night.

Umm they can do it with your cell phone too :D
No sneaking required.

I checked my cell phone...it's says I'm about 2 miles from where I am.....if they're using my cell phone to track me, they'll never find me.....:D

Tremendously bad decision.

I can't agree. There is no expectation of privacy as it pertains to the location of your phone, your car, nor where you use your federally regulated bank account. There actually never has been. This is not a situation where due process was not followed, so I really don't see the issue (as it pertains to law and Constitutionality).

This is just a more efficient way of manually tailing a criminal suspect during a stakeout of his known residence.
So someone's property may be assumed public access unless it's barricaded?

I can't go along with that.

Read more: The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS - TIME

ernment agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.

--

The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private. It was open to strangers, they said, such as delivery people and neighborhood children, who could wander across it uninvited.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, who dissented from this month's decision refusing to reconsider the case, pointed out whose homes are not open to strangers: rich people's. The court's ruling, he said, means that people who protect their homes with electric gates, fences and security booths have a large protected zone of privacy around their homes. People who cannot afford such barriers have to put up with the government sneaking around at night.

Umm they can do it with your cell phone too :D
No sneaking required.

I checked my cell phone...it's says I'm about 2 miles from where I am.....if they're using my cell phone to track me, they'll never find me.....:D

You are lost then.
:D

Actually I checked my cellphone, it has a setting that says it disables GPS unless I am calling 911.
Or so it says.

I must have bought a republican cell phone?

I can't agree. There is no expectation of privacy as it pertains to the location of your phone, your car, nor where you use your federally regulated bank account. There actually never has been. This is not a situation where due process was not followed, so I really don't see the issue (as it pertains to law and Constitutionality).

This is just a more efficient way of manually tailing a criminal suspect during a stakeout of his known residence.

How do you figure that?

Due process was followed.

An interesting note here is that SCOTUS is going to have to rule on this issue, because the 4th ruled exactly the opposite in a similar case.

Repeated visits to a church, a gym, a bar, or a bookie tell a story not told by any single visit, as does one’s not visiting any of these places over the course of a month. The sequence of a person’s movements can reveal still more; a single trip to a gynecologist’s office tells little about a woman, but that trip followed a few weeks later by a visit to a baby supply store tells a different story.*

Having tracked Jones’s movements for a month, the Government used the resulting pattern — not just the location of a particular ―stash house or Jones’s movements on any one trip or even day — as evidence of Jones‘s involvement in the cocaine trafficking business. The pattern the Government would document with the GPS data was central to its presentation of the case.

Appeals Court Rules Against Secret Police GPS Tracking | Threat Level | Wired.com

The continuous snooping over a period of time amounts to an invasion of privacy because it can be used to determine information that is private in nature. It is also impossible to actually track anyone like this without a GPS device, despite what you see in movies.

I guess time will tell. However, it is very easy to tail someone manually. This just automates that lawful practice.

this case is disturbing....it effectively allows the state to trespass onto your property (curtilage as the majority calls it) and attach a tracking device. now, there are other cases that allow tracking devices if the device was place on the vehicle while the vehicle is in a public place. however, a dc circuit just struck that down. so now there is a split in the courts and i believe this will go to the scotus.

this case and its trespassing is simply unbelievable and dangerous. the dissent (rehearing dissent so you had the full panel which explains why there are more judges) absolutely rips the majority a new asshole. that doesn't happen very happen.

http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/page....fco20100812145

a good read

Think it through a little. You have no right to privacy between the street and your front door when someone (anyone) wants to solicit you. You have to take steps to secure your front door if you wish it to be part of your private space. You can do this by putting a gate in your driveway.

Also if you don't want the police to tag your car without your knowledge, park it in the garage. If you don't have a garage, well that's a choice you made. You also have the right to be secure in your space and that means you can put a camera on your car. Then you'll know if the police did this without your knowledge.

What is the authority?

I don't think it's right, but it is the law. That's how news crews can camp out on peoples' lawns. They are on the "public easement." It's why the Police can walk up and knock on my door but can't go around back to the shed if he doesn't have a warrant.

Due process was followed.

Actually, due process was ignored, but the court ruled that it did not apply. Thanks for the attempt to obfuscate the real issue here though.

I guess time will tell. However, it is very easy to tail someone manually. This just automates that lawful practice.

You should try trailing someone manually before you blithely assume it is easy. To do it properly requires at least three active teams at all times, and no police force can afford to devote that much manpower to trailing a suspect, which is why so many of them get away with things when the cops "know" they are doing it.

What is the authority?

Me. I have done door to door soliciting.

I don't think it's right, but it is the law. That's how news crews can camp out on peoples' lawns. They are on the "public easement." It's why the Police can walk up and knock on my door but can't go around back to the shed if he doesn't have a warrant.

No it isn't.

Handbook: Access to places: Access to private property

All anyone has to do is tell the news crews to stay off the property and they have to leave. That is why news crews generally camp out in the street, or neighbors yards who give them permission to stay.

"Good fences make good neighbors."

Forum List

Back