The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

even if it is turned off it reports your location

I don't think so.

Take a spectrum analyzer and and directional antenna and point it at your phone. Take the battery out and do it again.

You'll see the difference.

You could well be correct. I don't currently have a spectrum analizer.
Battery does go down even turned off....
but could it just be the cpu clock, etc radiating? It does keep the clock running and such. Or is it on transmit frequencies? How much power is emitted?

Just like Gates deal with the feds to avoid antitrust action.

Last edited:
even if it is turned off it reports your location

I don't think so.

think so.

A guy was recently arrested in WA for a murder that he committed in CA. He was tied to the scene of the crime via a cell phone which he didn't use at the crime scene.

He was then tracked to his flat in Seattle using the same cellphone.

Umm you definately do not have to use them, just have them turned on. No calls need to be placed or recieved. Still not sure if they xmit when powered down or not.

Except we have a choice today, not in the 1984 fiction. As always, there are benefits and challenges to that choice. Since I have made it in favor of being exposed to this, I do enjoy the options presented to me. In 1948 my options would have been limited by not being able to wipe my ass without it being a topic of conversation at the diner the next morning.

Privacy is subjective. Rights to make my own choices are not.

OK, but contrary to your previous posts this ruling denies you a choice in the matter.

How so? I don't have to have a cell phone on me at all times and I don't have to drive the car in my driveway at all times. I don't have to use google, I don't have to use the Internet at all. I even have the option to use the Internet in a way that is highly unlikely to get traced back to me.

I have choices. I choose to not exercise them.

OK, so if you don't use a cell phone, or the internet, or a telephone, or a credit card, or send/recieve e-mail, drive a car or park it where it can be approached, or register that car with the DMV you do have options to secure privacy by building a large enough defensible space around your compound.

But the FBI will still raid your compound at will, and still has a "right" to invade and search your property without notice via the Patriot act.

WHAT was your point?

I don't think so.

think so.

A guy was recently arrested in WA for a murder that he committed in CA. He was tied to the scene of the crime via a cell phone which he didn't use at the crime scene.

Umm you definately do not have to use them, just have them turned on. No calls need to be placed or recieved. Still not sure if they xmit when powered down or not.

They do.

Just like OnStar does.

think so.

They do.

Just like OnStar does.

Umm onstar is a bit different , basically never powered down.
Turning it on is like hitting send on your cellphone.

Onstar, yep that and computer controller in your car. More fear sources for privacy nuts.

They do.

Just like OnStar does.

Onstar, yep that and computer controller in your car. More fear sources for privacy nuts.

your cell phone is never powered down unless you remove the battery. Just like your car and your OnStar.

They do.

Just like OnStar does.

your cell phone is never powered down unless you remove the battery. Just like your car and your OnStar.

My cell phone must search out the towers and such each time I power it on.
I am not sure but I thought it just maintained memory and clock and such when turned "off".
But perhaps not and it is at least always monitoring and can respond to a GPS query when turned "off".
LOL my cellphone came with a 4 page instruction manual....
but yes virtually no electronics is truely ever fully powered down now-a-days.
Onstar is active at least all the time that the ignition is on.
How else could it report a crash?

I don't think so.

Take a spectrum analyzer and and directional antenna and point it at your phone. Take the battery out and do it again.

You'll see the difference.

You could well be correct. I don't currently have a spectrum analizer.
Battery does go down even turned off....
but could it just be the cpu clock, etc radiating? It does keep the clock running and such. Or is it on transmit frequencies? How much power is emitted?

Just like Gates deal with the feds to avoid antitrust action.

Those details are up to you. I'm not here to spoonfeed anyone. You said you don't think so, and I provided a direction for some inquiry if you decide to find out.

You sound horribly naive. No insult intended.

If your cell phone clock keeps working while powered down, it isn't really powered down.

Even the old fashion and line phones of the 70's could still listen even when hung up, if the switching equipment instructed them to do so.

My car won't start as long as the battery has a charge. The computer brain has issues.

If I disconnect the battery for several days and install a battery it starts several times and runs fine.

Apparently even that 92 model doesn't power down even if I remove the battery for a day.

And your cell phone definitely reports it's location even when it is off.

They already can track you by your cell phone. Emergency 911 gps. Noooooo THAT won't be abused.

Hell with probable cause.

Read more: The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS - TIME

ernment agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.

--

The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private. It was open to strangers, they said, such as delivery people and neighborhood children, who could wander across it uninvited.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, who dissented from this month's decision refusing to reconsider the case, pointed out whose homes are not open to strangers: rich people's. The court's ruling, he said, means that people who protect their homes with electric gates, fences and security booths have a large protected zone of privacy around their homes. People who cannot afford such barriers have to put up with the government sneaking around at night.

Whoooooa ! can the black helicopters be far behind ???:cuckoo:

ernment agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.

--

The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private. It was open to strangers, they said, such as delivery people and neighborhood children, who could wander across it uninvited.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, who dissented from this month's decision refusing to reconsider the case, pointed out whose homes are not open to strangers: rich people's. The court's ruling, he said, means that people who protect their homes with electric gates, fences and security booths have a large protected zone of privacy around their homes. People who cannot afford such barriers have to put up with the government sneaking around at night.

Only the most narcissistic of the right wing nut jobs thinks anyone cares who they are, where they go or what they talk about. The only thing worthwhile when listening to fools is the "entertainment" value and even Paris Hilton has become "boring". Then we realize, she was always boring.

Rdean go back to the corner adults are trying to have a conversation. Children should be seen and not heard from.

--

Whoooooa ! can the black helicopters be far behind ???:cuckoo:

You really didn't think that "FREE HEALTHCARE" did not come with a price did you?

--

And some on here argue that we haven't lost our freedoms. I guess that change snake is biting us in more then one place.

HOPE AND CHANGE the liberal way.

You sound horribly naive. No insult intended.

If your cell phone clock keeps working while powered down, it isn't really powered down.

Even the old fashion and line phones of the 70's could still listen even when hung up, if the switching equipment instructed them to do so.

My car won't start as long as the battery has a charge. The computer brain has issues.

If I disconnect the battery for several days and install a battery it starts several times and runs fine.

Apparently even that 92 model doesn't power down even if I remove the battery for a day.

And your cell phone definitely reports it's location even when it is off.

Umm the hookswitch in a type 80 (the most common type then) telephone physically disconnected the carbon mic element and the earpiece as well from the pair of wires going to the central office switching equipment. Kinda hard to hear thru an open circuit.
25 years in telcommunications. In the equipment side of things for most of the 70's and 80's.

I am also a Certified Electronics Technician or CET, for what that is worth now-a-days.

I am not up on the circuitry of cell phones however.

Last edited:

--

You want to know another group that is not open to strangers? Rednecks.

Anyone walking onto their property to stick a GPS on their truck is liable to get shot, which is the real reason they want to take away your right to bear arms.

--

Only the most narcissistic of the right wing nut jobs thinks anyone cares who they are, where they go or what they talk about. The only thing worthwhile when listening to fools is the "entertainment" value and even Paris Hilton has become "boring". Then we realize, she was always boring.

Does that mean I can stick a GPS on your car and track you?

Forum List

Back