The educational system requires an overhaul

th

U.S. Education Spending & Student Performance vs. The World Infographic | MAT@USC | USC Rossier Online

us-schools-vs-international3.jpg

^^^For the amount spent I'd say we should be leading in all the areas listed above.^^^

*****SMILE*****

:)

th

U.S. Education Spending & Student Performance vs. The World Infographic | MAT@USC | USC Rossier Online

^^^For the amount spent I'd say we should be leading in all the areas listed above.^^^

*****SMILE*****

The source is from 2011 and ignores the differences in the school systems, In Germany, students are tested and placed on either the college track or vocational track. Those on the vocational track are not tested. That is why Germany has stopped participating in international testing because that little factoid makes their performance look even worse. Also, have many of those countries have significant minority populations which dramatically lower test scores because of poor language skills? If a child struggles with reading English, how well do they score in math and science?

th

I don't see any counter information to prove anything's changed significantly since 2011. Since anything about educational funding is lacking for the last eight years I'm betting that means it's increased during Obama's reign... While in turn the quality of education itself has decreased if Berkley is utilized as a shining example for quality students.

So now you're saying those other minorities/ethnic groups who've lived here for generations are to stupid to learn the English language?

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

So now you're saying those other minorities/ethnic groups who've lived here for generations are to stupid to learn the English language?....

Who?

th

I'm not the one who stated...

....Also, have many of those countries have significant minority populations which dramatically lower test scores because of poor language skills? If a child struggles with reading English, how well do they score in math and science?

...Perhaps you should ask the "Admiral".

:dunno:

*****CHUCKLE*****

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

th

I don't see any counter information to prove anything's changed significantly since 2011. Since anything about educational funding is lacking for the last eight years I'm betting that means it's increased during Obama's reign... While in turn the quality of education itself has decreased if Berkley is utilized as a shining example for quality students.

So now you're saying those other minorities/ethnic groups who've lived here for generations are to stupid to learn the English language?

*****SMILE*****

I don't know about that...but you're too stupid to know the difference between "too" and "to". :happy-1:

PS: It's the immigrant population (kids who haven't grown up in America) that are mainly ELL students.

th

*****SMILE*****

I don't know about that...but you're too stupid to know the difference between "too" and "to". :happy-1:

PS: It's the immigrant population (kids who haven't grown up in America) that are mainly ELL students.

th

Weren't you the one who used ''broken it" to describe something in a sentence earlier in this thread prior to the thread being cleansed?

I hire secretaries to groom my paperwork, who aren't you, when it's official.

PS: I highly doubt it's just the ELL population the good "admiral" is referring to.

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

The source is from 2011 and ignores the differences in the school systems, In Germany, students are tested and placed on either the college track or vocational track. Those on the vocational track are not tested. That is why Germany has stopped participating in international testing because that little factoid makes their performance look even worse. Also, have many of those countries have significant minority populations which dramatically lower test scores because of poor language skills? If a child struggles with reading English, how well do they score in math and science?

Is it humanly possible that you will ever direct your reply to my comments? I don't think you have the minimum mental faculties to respond.

th

*****SMILE*****

th

Weren't you the one who used ''broken it" to describe something in a sentence earlier in this thread prior to the thread being cleansed?

PS: I highly doubt it's just the ELL population the good "admiral" is referring to.

*****CHUCKLE*****

There you going being ignorant again!

Yes, that is exactly who I am talking about, but since you have no clue as to what ELL means, I didn't use those terms.

I once taught in an inner city middle school where I was the only person in the room for whom English was not a second language. Ever teach World Civilizations to kids who know less English than you do their language?

The results are never good.

In my classes, the number of kids who were native born Americans could usually be counted on one hand. That is unusual I know, but those are the kids you are complaining about doing poorly on the math and science tests.

th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

ELL=English Language Learner....so yes that's the exact demographic he was referring to.

Is it humanly possible that you will ever direct your reply to my comments? I don't think you have the minimum mental faculties to respond.

upload_2017-9-17_16-10-47.jpeg

You need someone to hold your hand and show you where the reply was made or is it your pretension that your superior intellect deems any response beneath you unless directly quoted?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Yes, that is exactly who I am talking about, but since you have no clue as to what ELL means, I didn't use those terms.

I once taught in an inner city middle school where I was the only person in the room for whom English was not a second language. Ever teach World Civilizations to kids who know less English than you do their language?

In my classes, the number of kids who were native born Americans could usually be counted on one hand. That is unusual I know, but those are the kids you are complaining about doing poorly on the math and science tests.

th

So now you're making a case for my earlier observation of firing most the current educators and opening up the floodgates to foreign nationals to take those positions. We can screen them to ensure they're proficient in English and a couple other languages and let them teach at a reduced salary with empty promises of them attaining citizenship faster. Thanks!

*****CHUCKLE*****

Last edited:

The results are never good......

The results can be good. A lot of those kids are very bright and extremely hard working. There are kids who have been in the US and speaking English for less than a year who I would put up against any of their age group. A daunting challenge doesn't mean no one is up to it.

View attachment 149708

You need someone to hold your hand and show you where the reply was made or is it your pretension that your superior intellect deems any response beneath you unless directly quoted?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Oh, you respond, just not with anything that hasn't been washed, fluffed and dried through your ignorance. That, and it still never addressees what I say, but repeats the propaganda that you dwell upon.

th

So now you're making a case for my earlier observation of firing most the current educators and opening up the floodgates to foreign nationals to take those positions. We can screen them to ensure they're proficient in English and a couple other languages and let them teach at a reduced salary with empty promises of them attaining citizenship faster. Thanks!

*****CHUCKLE*****

Bad news there sunshine. Those foreign nationals that you want to hire don't speak these languages either! Spanish and even some Arabic instructors would be fine for those students in their native tongues, but how will they speak to American kids?

I recently worked with a teacher from Bosnia. No matter how hard he tried, he cannot rid himself of his definitive accent. He is an incredible teacher and works more hours than is imaginable for his students, but some students cannot get past that language barrier. Even his name is unpronounceable.

View attachment 149708

*****CHUCKLE*****

Oh, you respond, just not with anything that hasn't been washed, fluffed and dried through your ignorance. That, and it still never addressees what I say, but repeats the propaganda that you dwell upon.

upload_2017-9-17_18-2-5.jpeg

Still waiting on your proof that educational funding hasn't increased and that the learning curve has increased. Otherwise the only one touting what you're suggesting above is yourself as you aggressively adhere to the status quo. Is that what it takes to achieve your pretensions admiral?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Bad news there sunshine. Those foreign nationals that you want to hire don't speak these languages either! Spanish and even some Arabic instructors would be fine for those students in their native tongues, but how will they speak to American kids?

Didn't I state they needed to be proficient in English????? Why... Yes I did!

I recently worked with a teacher from Bosnia. No matter how hard he tried, he cannot rid himself of his definitive accent. He is an incredible teacher and works more hours than is imaginable for his students, but some students cannot get past that language barrier. Even his name is unpronounceable.

So now you're criticizing accents? I suppose you have issues with the variety of accents American English has too. Sounds like the one with an issue is yourself as you struggle to maintain your status quo.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 149708

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 149730

Still waiting on your proof that educational funding hasn't increased and that the learning curve has increased. Otherwise the only one touting what you're suggesting above is yourself as you aggressively adhere to the status quo. Is that what it takes to achieve your pretensions admiral?

*****CHUCKLE*****

I never made that claim. I asked you to support your contention that the learning curve had decreased, and you never did.

Why is it so difficult for you to handle?

Were you in special education classes? Do you have an IEP that I need to review?

View attachment 149708

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 149730

*****CHUCKLE*****

I never made that claim. I asked you to support your contention that the learning curve had decreased, and you never did.

Were you in special education classes? Do you have an IEP that I need to review?

th

Show me where you've made any attempt to disprove what I've stated admiral...

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings

U.S. Falls In World Education Rankings, Rated 'Average' | HuffPost

U.S. Students Slide In Global Ranking On Math, Reading, Science

...Or is it now your intention to institute some sort of IEP on the USMB. Perhaps you could also identify the at risk members also.

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 149708

*****CHUCKLE*****

View attachment 149730

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

Show me where you've made any attempt to disprove what I've stated admiral...

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings

...Or is it now your intention to institute some sort of IEP on the USMB. Perhaps you could also identify the at risk members also.

*****CHUCKLE*****

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings -

A 12 year-old article that references spending, but no real hard and fast data on education. - FAIL.

A 10-year-old study based on the data referenced in your first link. Did you notice that they provided no data for any other country? How can you compare without the data? - FAIL.

"The top overall scores came from Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Macao and Japan".

Now, what do all of those countries have in common? Hmmmmmmmm......

Think you can figure that one out?

I doubt you can, so I will tell you. Those are homogenous societies where education and educators are respected. They have no minority populations with language issues to lower the average. Only high-performing students are including in their testing results while we include inner-city school where most will choose to drop out. Don't do your homework in Singapore and see how many strikes with a cane you get!

When the US society starts putting the same emphasis on education as those countries, maybe we can improve. However, that has nothing to do with the teachers or schools. All we do know is line them up for testing with some accommodations and then claim they are the same as kids in those countries. They are not the same and will never be.

Forum List

Back