The educational system requires an overhaul

Damaged Eagle

Behind blue eyes
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have hours, only lonely
upload_2017-9-6_23-3-16.jpeg

The educational system needs to overhauled, downsized, and have it's funding reduced.

Some steps to accomplish this are:

1. The Department Of Education needs to be downsized and the DOE politurk's positions eliminated.
2. Regulations at all levels need to be reviewed and groomed.
3. Funding at the local, state, and federal, levels need to be reduced.
4. Outsourcing to private industry should be considered.
>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a brick and mortar building to educate children in.
5. Educational requirements for educators should be reduced.
>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a four year degree to teach children (grades 1-4) basic reading, writing and arithmetic a high school grad can do that. An associates should be good for grades 5-8 and a bachelor's for high school. All these educators should have set wages. If you have a degree higher than those then you should be seeking a different job because you're overeducated for the position you're holding or seeking.
6. If the child has reached high school and is not inclined towards academics then classes for educating them in a skilled profession should be available.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:
View attachment 147941

The educational system needs to overhauled, downsized, and have it's funding reduced.

1. The Department Of Education needs to be downsized and the DOE politurk's positions eliminated.
>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a four year degree to teach children (grades 1-4) basic reading, writing and arithmetic a high school grad can do that. An associates should be good for grades 5-8 and a bachelor's for high school. All these educators should have set wages. If you have a degree higher than those then you should be seeking a different job because you're overeducated for the position you're holding or seeking.
6. If the child has reached high school and is not inclined towards academics then classes for educating them in a skilled profession should be available.

*****SMILE*****

Here's what I'm dealing with this year:

-For one of my preps (11th grade English) I was given 48 textbooks for the 82 students I teach (those extra students still have no textbooks after a month into the school year, with no timeline in site of when/if they'll receive them).

-The printer in my room hasn't worked for 2 years now

-My ELMO (overhead projector) has been broken for over a year now after a summer school teacher broken it (I'm able to project images from my computer on the screen, but not papers).

-I'm being paid a stipend of $1,000 for coaching a minimum of 90hours (assuming parents all pick up their kids on time). That's $11/hour....but that doesn't factor in driving to/from meets which I don't get paid for my gas. By the time it's all said and done I end up breaking even for my coaching. Luckily the parents and players I have are all awesome and make the experience worthy of my time, and is one of my favorite parts of my job.

-Despite me ordering new uniforms for my team at the end of last season, we still don't have them at the school (11 months later-literally).

-I have 32 desks in my classroom...two of my classes have more than 32 students enrolled. I will not be receiving the additional desks that I need for kids.

You're going to honestly tell me that there's too much funding going into the schools? Bullshit. The problem isn't the amount of money-it's how the money is spent.

I know what I signed up and you'll never see me whining about how much I make-the above is simply a list of facts...that aren't unique to me and nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
You know what I had to teach my kids (10th grade) last week? The differences between a verb, noun, adverb, and adjective. You read that correctly.

That's not surprising. In hindsight, I see my biggest problem in school was that the teachers didn't make the material relevant to me. I was bored, so I tuned out. A fifth of high school graduates are illiterate. Even after gaining literacy, there's still another big jump to logical thinking. Everyone in this forum is reasonably literate, but every single person here who disagrees with me on anything is demonstrating dismal reasoning skills.

You know what I had to teach my kids (10th grade) last week? The differences between a verb, noun, adverb, and adjective. You read that correctly.

That's not surprising. In hindsight, I see my biggest problem in school was that the teachers didn't make the material relevant to me. I was bored, so I tuned out. A fifth of high school graduates are illiterate. Even after gaining literacy, there's still another big jump to logical thinking. Everyone in this forum is reasonably literate, but every single person here who disagrees with me on anything is demonstrating dismal reasoning skills.

Absolute agree, the problem is that the curriculum (not standards) can be fairly boring for students.

Luckily I have a lot of autonomy, which not every teacher has. As a teacher I know the needs of my students more than anybody else, and I know how to get them to buy into the work and how to learn...the problem is that many teachers don't have that luxury or opportunity. Personally, I do more practical writing with them (for example I make upperclassman create a resume and cover letter)-and that usually gets them engaged and learning how to write formally, which is something they will obviously need later in life.

View attachment 147941

It's crazy how much money many public schools get, especially when it has been shown that there's very little benefit from high spending levels.

Outsourcing to private industry should more than be considered.

I've always found it funny that a teacher needs a four-year degree to teach grade school kids what every competent high school graduate has long mastered. Yes, just a two-year degree should be required for grade school. A private school can skip the four-year degree right now, as well as do countless other things better that the public schools aren't about to change.

View attachment 147941

It's crazy how much money many public schools get, especially when it has been shown that there's very little benefit from high spending levels.

Outsourcing to private industry should more than be considered.

I've always found it funny that a teacher needs a four-year degree to teach grade school kids what every competent high school graduate has long mastered. Yes, just a two-year degree should be required for grade school. A private school can skip the four-year degree right now, as well as do countless other things better that the public schools aren't about to change.

..... :rolleyes:

-For one of my preps (11th grade English) I was given 48 textbooks for the 82 students I teach (those extra students still have no textbooks after a month into the school year, with no timeline in site of when/if they'll receive them).

How often are the text books changed? Every year? Every five years? Every ten years?

If it's every year...

Do you think the subject matter changes that much to justify the cost of getting new text books?

I doubt it.

You're getting paid salary. Take the time to troubleshoot it, order the parts, and fix it.

-My ELMO (overhead projector) has been broken for over a year now after a summer school teacher broken it (I'm able to project images from my computer on the screen, but not papers).

You're getting paid salary. Take the time to troubleshoot it, order the parts, and fix it.

-I'm being paid a stipend of $1,000 for coaching a minimum of 90hours (assuming parents all pick up their kids on time). That's $11/hour....but that doesn't factor in driving to/from meets which I don't get paid for my gas. By the time it's all said and done I end up breaking even for my coaching. Luckily the parents and players I have are all awesome and make the experience worthy of my time, and is one of my favorite parts of my job.

So you're complaining about being paid $11 an hour to babysit younglings. This above and beyond the salary you make. They don't pay for overtime in the military it's a 24/7 job. Most people don't get paid for their gas or time to and from.

So what are you complaining about?

-Despite me ordering new uniforms for my team at the end of last season, we still don't have them at the school (11 months later-literally).

Are they already paid for? Sounds like a cancel and reorder from a different company to me.

-I have 32 desks in my classroom...two of my classes have more than 32 students enrolled. I will not be receiving the additional desks that I need for kids.

Lots of thrift stores sell used desks cheap.

You're going to honestly tell me that there's too much funding going into the schools? Bullshit. The problem isn't the amount of money-it's how the money is spent.

I do believe that's the whole point of my OP.

I know what I signed up and you'll never see me whining about how much I make-the above is simply a list of facts...that aren't unique to me and nothing out of the ordinary.

Sounds to me like you have some rethinking to do about what it means to be paid salary. Even when I applied for a job with a private company (after I retired from thee service) it was a salary job. They told me outright that there was no such thing as overtime pay but they guaranteed that there would be overtime.

upload_2017-9-8_14-49-47.jpeg

*****SMILE*****

Teachers with not enough textbooks, broken equipment, whatever, that's almost certainly a management or bureaucracy problem, not a lack of funding.

Cr@p, just after I said everyone in this forum is reasonably literate, Unkotare shows up and proves me wrong. Alright, I was being generous in my previous statement. I'm just a generous guy.

This from the genius who thinks that the key to improving education is less well educated teachers? Yeah, you've got credibility.....

How often are the text books changed? Every year? Every five years? Every ten years?

If it's every year...

Do you think the subject matter changes that much to justify the cost of getting new text books?

I doubt it.

So you're complaining about being paid $11 an hour to babysit younglings. This above and beyond the salary you make. They don't pay for overtime in the military it's a 24/7 job. Most people don't get paid for their gas or time to and from.

Are they already paid for? Sounds like a cancel and reorder from a different company to me.

Sounds to me like you have some rethinking to do about what it means to be paid salary. Even when I applied for a job with a private company (after I retired from thee service) it was a salary job. They told me outright that there was no such thing as overtime pay but they guaranteed that there would be overtime.

View attachment 148216

*****SMILE*****

Sounds like you understand as little about teaching and coaching as your OP suggested.

This from the genius who thinks that the key to improving education is less well educated teachers? Yeah, you've got credibility.....

Hey, sh1t-for-brains, "improving education" at any cost is not my goal. Lowering the degree requirements of teachers can offer significant savings with only a negligible impact on student performance. Sh1thead, why don't you insist that all grade school teachers have PhDs?

Hey, sh1t-for-brains, "improving education" at any cost is not my goal. Lowering the degree requirements of teachers can offer significant savings with only a negligible impact on student performance. .......?

You just pulled that little notion straight out of your ass.

If it's every year...

I doubt it.

View attachment 148216

*****SMILE*****

Sounds like you understand as little about teaching and coaching as your OP suggested.

upload_2017-9-8_17-59-58.jpeg

I instructed at a training command in the service for over six years.

No one paid me overtime for the collateral duties they assigned. That comes with getting paid salary which means that's all you get for the possible 24/7 work you do. You're only guaranteed one hour sleep and one hot meal a day.

Suck it up if you work for the public school system get to work and quit whining if you have to be on duty during the holiday instead of with your family, because your family wasn't issued to you in your kit.

If you don't like it seek a career in the private sector.

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 147941

*****SMILE*****

I fully agree that it's not the amount of money spent, but how it is spent that's the problem. But like so many government run, bloated bureaucracies, too much money is wasted on bullshit and actual education is neglected in favor of funding some politically-motivated pet project shit. I feel for you. I just retired from teaching a "university" program (used to be community college) that focuses on a trade skill because I'm getting tired of teaching those entitled to an "A" by virtue of sucking oxygen out of the the same space I do for a required period of time. I love teaching, but what I am required to do anymore isn't teaching, it's ensuring that some snowflake doesn't get its panties in a bunch because I use a word they cannot deal with.

View attachment 147941

Being done all of the time.

Being done all of the time.

Was considered, was done, total and turned into a total and complete disaster.

Many children cannot learn from computers and videos. They need that human contact to reinforce the learning or they forget it in a matter of minutes.

Total and complete nonsense. Knowing how to read does not mean you can teach someone to read.

Already available in most school systems.

*****SMILE*****

^^^^^^^^^FROWN^^^^^^^^

My comments in blue.

There is something about the public sector that almost always results in huge inefficiencies. Money is spent on meaningless bullshit, and savings are sought where spending more would be wise. I saw it in the Army, and when I worked for DoD as a civilian contract specialist. Now, working as a volunteer for a "Habitat-like" agency, I see the same thing.

The only sane solution is to identify the Administrators (principals, usually) who are successful, and try to replicate what they are doing in failing schools. But this requires flexibility, and the ability to REMOVE THOSE WHO DON'T PRODUCE. Good luck.

There is something about the public sector that almost always results in huge inefficiencies. Money is spent on meaningless bullshit, and savings are sought where spending more would be wise. I saw it in the Army, and when I worked for DoD as a civilian contract specialist. Now, working as a volunteer for a "Habitat-like" agency, I see the same thing.

The only sane solution is to identify the Administrators (principals, usually) who are successful, and try to replicate what they are doing in failing schools. But this requires flexibility, and the ability to REMOVE THOSE WHO DON'T PRODUCE. Good luck.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but do you honestly think that has not been tried before and is still being done?

You can be the best principal in the world, but you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

I have a student that is in two of my classes, because without both, he will not graduate. He comes to class, and I spend all my time trying to keep his head of his desk or telling him to put his cell phone away.

Those of you whining about it could never do it successfully...I stake everything I have on it.

Forum List

Back