The Duggars' are now closer to God!

WHICH ACTIONS BROUGHT THE DUGGARS' CLOSER TO GOD?

• I don't understand the questions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
my cousin is a follow of the full quiver movement....8 kids in 8 years....but they stopped at 8.....and o they are the darlings of the uber religious family my hubby comes from....funny how everyone talks about how great the large family is...but limitis their own family to 2 kids or less

How are they supposed to support all those kids? Not all large families find a way of pimping out the kids to make money - as the Duggars have done.

Who knew this is what you need to do to become closer to Gawd?

See full article @ The Duggars dangerous cult of purity - The Washington Post

In “A Love That Multiplies,” Michelle Duggar recounts a story that her husband told his older children “to explain the importance of purity.”

“Imagine that your parents are going to surprise you and give you a brand-new bike for Christmas. Two weeks before Christmas, they buy your bike and hide it in the storage shed in the backyard. But then the boy next door sneaks into the shed and borrows your new bike; he stunt-rides it up and down the back alley.

“On Christmas morning your parents lead you out to the shed to reveal the special gift they bought for you, and as they open the door and say, ‘Surprise!’ they’re just as surprised as you are. You’re all shocked to see that the bike looks like it’s been thrown off a cliff. The front fender is missing, and the front tire is warped so it rubs on the frame. It’s dirty, the paint is all scratched and chipped, and the seat has a big rip in it. It looks worse than something you would have bought at a garage sale.

“I’m sure you would still be grateful for the bike, and you would have fun riding it, but it won’t be in the condition your parents had hoped and dreamed it would be when you received it. You would miss out on a lot of the enjoyment they meant for you to have.

“In that same way, we don’t want any boy (or girl) to come and steal your purity.”

What a wonderful message to the victims! You are now a broken down used bicycle.

So from what I can determine from your message --- you apparently find this message of shame to be far worse and damaging to a person than might the results of premarital sex, such as STDs, unwanted pregnancies, the propensity to escalated such sexual practices to more frequency and partners and experimentation, etc. And not to mention, the belief that many have that such acts are very sinful and cause other kinds of ramifications for the young person engaged in those acts.

But to point out to this teen that sex with whomever is a dangerous and wrongful act (by using the maligned bicycle imagery) --- that is why you are so indignant at these parents?

Personally, the unbelievable amount of filth found in many or most movies, be it the language or the acts, is far more horrifying to a young soul than any bicycle story. And this goes on every single day in our movies, TV, video games and music. Big deal, right?

What part of this is about his victims?

None, I guess. For one, I did not read the Washington Post article. For two, I did not relate this submission to the infamous acts this Duggar kid did to some young girls? I do not even know the news story about all this?

I took this post to be in reference to how a parent may try to give their teen a message about sexuality and the uses or misuses of it. So if I totally misinterpreted what CarlaDanger was trying to say, my fault and my apologies.

That's why I like to read the articles, maybe do my own search, before posting.

Yes, me too. I like to read the articles when time allows. But I did take the time to read your excerpt from the article. Was it misleading?

Was I out of order just to read what you posted and take a stab at what you were trying to say?

my cousin is a follow of the full quiver movement....8 kids in 8 years....but they stopped at 8.....and o they are the darlings of the uber religious family my hubby comes from....funny how everyone talks about how great the large family is...but limitis their own family to 2 kids or less

Pedophile Josh is now having children of his own to molest. He and his wife say they will have as many as Gawd will allow.

In “A Love That Multiplies,” Michelle Duggar recounts a story that her husband told his older children “to explain the importance of purity.”

“Imagine that your parents are going to surprise you and give you a brand-new bike for Christmas. Two weeks before Christmas, they buy your bike and hide it in the storage shed in the backyard. But then the boy next door sneaks into the shed and borrows your new bike; he stunt-rides it up and down the back alley.

“On Christmas morning your parents lead you out to the shed to reveal the special gift they bought for you, and as they open the door and say, ‘Surprise!’ they’re just as surprised as you are. You’re all shocked to see that the bike looks like it’s been thrown off a cliff. The front fender is missing, and the front tire is warped so it rubs on the frame. It’s dirty, the paint is all scratched and chipped, and the seat has a big rip in it. It looks worse than something you would have bought at a garage sale.

“I’m sure you would still be grateful for the bike, and you would have fun riding it, but it won’t be in the condition your parents had hoped and dreamed it would be when you received it. You would miss out on a lot of the enjoyment they meant for you to have.

“In that same way, we don’t want any boy (or girl) to come and steal your purity.”

What a wonderful message to the victims! You are now a broken down used bicycle.

So from what I can determine from your message --- you apparently find this message of shame to be far worse and damaging to a person than might the results of premarital sex, such as STDs, unwanted pregnancies, the propensity to escalated such sexual practices to more frequency and partners and experimentation, etc. And not to mention, the belief that many have that such acts are very sinful and cause other kinds of ramifications for the young person engaged in those acts.

But to point out to this teen that sex with whomever is a dangerous and wrongful act (by using the maligned bicycle imagery) --- that is why you are so indignant at these parents?

Personally, the unbelievable amount of filth found in many or most movies, be it the language or the acts, is far more horrifying to a young soul than any bicycle story. And this goes on every single day in our movies, TV, video games and music. Big deal, right?

What part of this is about his victims?

None, I guess. For one, I did not read the Washington Post article. For two, I did not relate this submission to the infamous acts this Duggar kid did to some young girls? I do not even know the news story about all this?

I took this post to be in reference to how a parent may try to give their teen a message about sexuality and the uses or misuses of it. So if I totally misinterpreted what CarlaDanger was trying to say, my fault and my apologies.

That's why I like to read the articles, maybe do my own search, before posting.

Yes, me too. I like to read the articles when time allows. But I did take the time to read your excerpt from the article. Was it misleading?

Was I out of order just to read what you posted and take a stab at what you were trying to say?

No, the article is not misleading. That is the theme of the Duggars and their family values. I think it's pretty obvious, the point I'm making here.

Escaping the Extreme Christian Fundamentalism of “Quiverfull”

By Amanda Marcotte

The Duggars, having lunch with presidential candidate Rick Santorum.
Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images

Can religious fundamentalism turn otherwise nonabusive relationships abusive? Vyckie Garrison of the blog No Longer Quivering argued yes in a recent speech given at the American Atheists national convention in Salt Lake City. Garrison is a former adherent to a strain of fundamentalist Christianity called “Quiverfull,” an extremist branch of the anti-choice movement that rejects all forms of contraception—including natural family planning—as just an extension of the “abortion culture.” In fact, Quiverfull members aspire to have as many children as possible, arguing that to win the culture wars, the faithful must literally “out-populate the ‘enemy,’ that would be all of you,” as Garrison puts it.

5 Insane Lessons from My Christian Fundamentalist Childhood

By Robert Evans, Hännah Ettinger April 27, 2014 1,281,294 views Viral

My name is Hannah Ettinger, and I was raised in the Quiverfull movement. The term is taken from a verse in Proverbs, which says: "Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of arrows." We interpreted this to mean: "Blessed is the man who dies with the most kids."

In the Quiverfull movement, children are pretty much metaphorical weapons born to shoot a degenerate modern society in the face. I was one of nine children, and our family was just on the large end of "normal" in size. Really, it was downright small: We didn't need to use all the seats in our 15-passenger van to get to church. I was brought up to be just one more weapon in this terrible faith-based arsenal, but I didn't quite hit the target. Here's what I can tell you about being a weaponized offspring.

he has a good job...and she does not work outside the home...i am sure their parents help if needed

I should have been more clear that I was commenting/asking about the families in general.

~~~
BTW, watching news coverage - Apparently, that he is a serial molester and child predator has been well known in the cult for quite some time and they just accepted it and blamed the victims.

They're quick to judge others while committing terrible sins themselves.

The RW response to this is very indicative the movement to blame women and children instead of the criminal. RWs believe rape doesn't happen or is the fault of the victim. One of them - Matthew - recently wrote that how a woman dresses is what causes her to be raped.

Now, to read that this cult and other evangelicals believe the 4-5 year old victims are the cause of Josh being a serial child molester is just sick.

Edited to add -

I include politicians in this. Many of them have been friends of Duggars, know how sick they are and are just as sick themselves.

First of all, sex is not a sin. It's a natural part of life. It's much more productive and healthy to education your children on safe responsible sex, than to shame and guilt them with spiritual extortion. There's nothing wrong with pushing abstinence at the same time, but reality shows us that around 80% of teens are going to have sexual encounters.

The Duggars purity values and unrealistic expectations are a part of Josh's problem with sexual deviancy, yet they refused to get him professional help.

How exactly, does that bring one closer to Gawd?

If you are implying that the way the Duggar parents handled the sexual molestation committed by their son then I agree with you.

If you are implying that a message of “extreme purity” is wrong then you may have some case here. However, if it was successful in the case of 18 of the 19 children then I might question if it was wrong because that would have been a high success rate.

But if you are going further to imply that sexual activity outside of marriage is not really sinful, or that we should accept “the inevitable” and just provide provisions for our children engaging in the fun, well, here you and I would depart company.

Forum List

Back