The Debt Ceiling: What do Republicans Want?

What should the GOP about the debt ceiling?

• Don't mess with this, pick another battle

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Go up to the deadline to scare the bejeesus out of people

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Vote "present"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass the deadline and then back off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass the deadline come what may, it's worth the damage

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
The GOP has done nothing to reduce the massive debt, :

actually dear since Jefferson's first balanced budget amendment Democrats have killed 30 Republican Balanced Budget Amendments
. Newts passed the house and failed in the Senate by one vote.

LIve and learn, liberal!!

Sadly, the Left takes full advantage of the 'pox on both houses' useful idiots.

Personally, I told my reps to pass a raise of the debt ceiling of 500 to 700 billion and that's it. Then make it plain that any further increase would be passed concurrently with a reasonable budget and the ceiling increased to match the approved deficit spending. That would force Maobama and Reid to come to the table and pass a budget, if they fail, then it's on them.

Obama has already broken the law by not submitting his budget for '13.

Obama Admin. Breaks Law, Refuses to Submit Budget by Deadline Fourth Time in Five Years

Pundit Press: Obama Admin. Breaks Law, Refuses to Submit Budget by Deadline Fourth Time in Five Years

Don't care about Maobama submitting a "proposed" budget. I concerned about congress actually passing one. If the republicans hold the line after providing a 6-7 month window to pass a budget, then screw the dems, they can just let the whole show shut down. Without a debt ceiling increase, the government can still pay our bills, they would just have to reduce government to match their income.

Yeah that's not it either.

Then why aren't the problems before government being fixed and dealt with?

Because the dumb Rs still think they can blame President Obama for congress not doing their jobs.

Obama has said he would not usurp the authority of congress concerning the debt ceiling and R congress has said they will crash the economy/hold the country hostage/shut down government.

IOW, for the R, its just business as usual. Funny thing is, they still seem to think they have the upper hand, as they did, for about 20 minutes, in 2010.

They really can't get away with that again.

The House holds the Congressional purse strings, if they want to force President Obama to accept budget cuts, and not further administrative spending plans, they have every right to.

Live within our means now! Stop the phony math. We take in 2.2 trillion. we need to spend 2.1 trillion, and use most of the rest to pay down the debt. Treat it like you would your household budget. The debt is a cancer - treat it that way! No increase without a balanced budget amendment.

actually dear since Jefferson's first balanced budget amendment Democrats have killed 30 Republican Balanced Budget Amendments

Pub dupes!! Pubs pass Balanced Budget BS, scream for spending cuts, cut taxes, but refuse to say exactly WHAT spending cuts- when in power they run up HUGE deficits, hamstring the country when Dems get in...the hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Thanks for the depression and screwing up the recovery with mindless obstruction, holding the economy hostage for pure propaganda and for austerity that would put us back into recession.

STFU and learn how to compromise, a-holes. Now the brainwashed ignorami are in charge of the GOP asylum...

I know the Republicans are very upset about the debt ceiling issue, so just to clarify, two part question:

1. In your heart of hearts, what would you like to see happen here? Specifically?

2. Assuming that Obama refuses to debate the debt ceiling, what would you like to see happen, specifically?

Im amazed that anyone would ask that. It's not obvious?

We want the Federal government to cut spending, waste, and stop putting our children and grandchildren in the chains of debt. We want the politicians to take responsibility for their obligations to the people.

I know. Crazy idea. I cannot comprehend why you guys are so adamant about spending trillions of dollars we don't have. I can't imagine why our economy is getting weaker.

I know the Republicans are very upset about the debt ceiling issue, so just to clarify, two part question:

1. In your heart of hearts, what would you like to see happen here? Specifically?

2. Assuming that Obama refuses to debate the debt ceiling, what would you like to see happen, specifically?

First I would actually like to see Obama bargain and give us that balanced approach he is always talking about given his past record I seriously doubt he will do this given that I would want the Republicans to take the tax revenue they will have prioritize it and spend it accordingly starting with payments on our debt, social security, military personal and so on I suspect this is the only way the government will every get any fiscal sense.

First I would actually like to see Obama bargain and give us that balanced approach he is always talking about given his past record I seriously doubt he will do this given that I would want the Republicans to take the tax revenue they will have prioritize it and spend it accordingly starting with payments on our debt, social security, military personal and so on I suspect this is the only way the government will every get any fiscal sense.

What do you think just happened?

I mean, AFTER the Rs turned down big spending cuts.

It never matters what really happens because the right will always lie about it.

Im amazed that anyone would ask that. It's not obvious?

We want the Federal government to cut spending, waste, and stop putting our children and grandchildren in the chains of debt. We want the politicians to take responsibility for their obligations to the people.

I know. Crazy idea. I cannot comprehend why you guys are so adamant about spending trillions of dollars we don't have. I can't imagine why our economy is getting weaker.

Fortunately, a couple of other conservative posters understood the point of my question and provided interesting and thoughtful answers, not just standard talking points and platitudes.

What do the Dems want this year? Are they always for raising the debt ceiling only when they are the big spenders or do they still think that raising the debt ceiling demonstrates a failure of the administration? Just curious since Obama is allowed to bounce all over the place without a shred of criticism.

Face it, the fact that we are raising it again is because this administration is just as stupid as the previous ones. And congress, past and present, don't know what the hell they are doing.

They all got us into this mess and they keep making it worse with their fucked up ideas to solve problems. They can't. Next year, the ceiling will get raised again. Spending will continue out of control. No budget will be passed yet again, which I thought was against the law. Taxes will continue to rise, though the increases in spending means that the new taxes won't pay down the debt. Illegal aliens will continue to pour in and cost more and more billions each year. Jobs will continue to disappear thanks to Obamacare. The tax payers' burden will continue to get heavier by the day. Congress will still give themselves raises, big expense accounts and other perks. The president will keep taking vacations like it's no big deal.

The economy will eventually collapse under it's own weight and we are done.

So, defend this is you want, but it's more of the same stupidity that created the mess and anyone who believes that Obama and the Dems can fix the country is sadly mistaken. They don't want it fixed. They want this country to collapse because that is the only way they can rebuild it. Some have already said the country is too broke to fix and needs to be completely rebuilt. Think about it and then ask yourself if you really think they want to get us out of debt, create jobs and create policies that encourage growth of the private sector.

Last edited:
What do the Dems want this year? Are they always for raising the debt ceiling only when they are the big spenders or do they still think that raising the debt ceiling demonstrates a failure of the administration? Just curious since Obama is allowed to bounce all over the place without a shred of criticism.

Face it, the fact that we are raising it again is because this administration is just as stupid as the previous ones. And congress, past and present, don't know what the hell they are doing.

They all got us into this mess and they keep making it worse with their fucked up ideas to solve problems. They can't. Next year, the ceiling will get raised again. Spending will continue out of control. No budget will be passed yet again, which I thought was against the law. Taxes will continue to rise, though the increases in spending means that the new taxes won't pay down the debt. Illegal aliens will continue to pour in and cost more and more billions each year. Jobs will continue to disappear thanks to Obamacare. The tax payers' burden will continue to get heavier by the day. Congress will still give themselves raises, big expense accounts and other perks. The president will keep taking vacations like it's no big deal.

So, defend this is you want, but it's more of the same stupidity that created the mess and anyone who believes that Obama and the Dems can fix the country is sadly mistaken. They don't want it fixed. They want this country to collapse because that is the only way they can rebuild it. Some have already said the country is too broke to fix and needs to be completely rebuilt. Think about it and then ask yourself if you really think they want to get us out of debt, create jobs and create policies that encourage growth of the private sector.

DumbAss incorporated here move on! Too limited for rational discussion.

Last edited:

How will it collapse?

If anything, what will "collapse" it is this political nonsense.

The last snit the Republicans threw cost us a triple A credit rating, 19 billion dollars and shook the markets world wide.

And this "spending crisis" is one they created by cutting revenue and larding up spending with 2 wars, a new department and a shit load of other goodies.

How will it collapse?

If anything, what will "collapse" it is this political nonsense.

The last snit the Republicans threw cost us a triple A credit rating, 19 billion dollars and shook the markets world wide.

And this "spending crisis" is one they created by cutting revenue and larding up spending with 2 wars, a new department and a shit load of other goodies.

So debating with limited intelligent you find challenging? This is below standards of first year prospects.:confused:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUmFBMVWNI]Obama on debt in 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

A bargaining chip for what?

Spending CUTS, moron.

Mac isn't exactly the sharpest Crayola in the 64 pack. LOL

President Obama has stated he will not bargain for the full faith and credit of the United States. He has said he is living this to congress to do their job and does not plan to invoke the 14th Amendment.

Exactly what is there to bargain with?

The R turned down his spending cuts and then took less than he offered, and ended up taking exactly what he wanted in tax increases.

What are they bargaining for?

If they're bargaining, they're pretty lousy at it.

Pub dupes!! Pubs pass Balanced Budget BS, scream for spending cuts, cut taxes, but refuse to say exactly WHAT spending cuts- when in power they run up HUGE deficits, hamstring the country when Dems get in...the hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Thanks for the depression and screwing up the recovery with mindless obstruction, holding the economy hostage for pure propaganda and for austerity that would put us back into recession.

STFU and learn how to compromise, a-holes. Now the brainwashed ignorami are in charge of the GOP asylum...

I have to say, I am beginning to have more respect for democrats than Republicans. After all, democrats preach that increased spending and bigger government will save us all. Republicans have to pretend they are against these things while glibly going along with them.

Forum List

Back