The Dead End of Reparations - Why it is a Very Bad Idea

Blacks are 13% of the US population... you don't have the legislative muscle to make it happen...

Reparations are like cutting Social Security... the Kiss-of-Death at the ballot-box... ain't gonna happen...
By that Bingo logic equal rights for Blacks would never of passed.

Reparations will eventually be paid.

I don’t necessarily doubt it. This country is going insane. The thing is, the way it is going with compromised puppets like Biden in charge, our country won’t be a country much longer and certainly won’t be able to pay any reparations to anyone.

I don't believe the federal government paid any Confederate soldier a military pension.
If you think you have any evidence that they did, you should post it.
Until then, I'll continue to laugh at your confusion.
I believe that the government paid war widows of both sides a small pension for their lifetime. They defined a war widow as someone who married a civil war veteran. I've read there were a lot of May-September marriages between very young women and very old civil war veterans.
"
The last person to receive a pension from the American Civil War has died.

Irene Triplett had collected a $73.13 check every month — a century and a half after the war ended — up until her death at the age of 90 on Sunday, according to her obituary in The Wall Street Journal.

There were several factors for the shocking payouts. Triplett’s father, Pvt. Mose Triplett, fathered her during his second marriage when he was just a few weeks away from turning 84 years old.

And Irene, who suffered from mental disabilities, qualified for the pension as a helpless adult child of a veteran, receiving $876 a year. She passed away due to complications with a surgery in a North Carolina nursing home where she resided."
That article was from the June 4th, 2020 edition of the New York Post.

After doing some quick research, civil war pensions were far more extensive than I believed. There was a federal program for both black and white veterans and their dependents, but the former Confederate states had to each develop their own systems.

Wrong, it was bi partisan. We had 20 presidents between the end of the civil was. 12 were Republicans and they did nothing to end Jim Crow.
Because before FDR, the federal government lacked both the power and legal right to interfere in states internal issues. FDR broke the system the USA was designed to be governed by and emplaced federal power over states power.

I believe that the government paid war widows of both sides a small pension for their lifetime. They defined a war widow as someone who married a civil war veteran. I've read there were a lot of May-September marriages between very young women and very old civil war veterans.
"
The last person to receive a pension from the American Civil War has died.

Irene Triplett had collected a $73.13 check every month — a century and a half after the war ended — up until her death at the age of 90 on Sunday, according to her obituary in The Wall Street Journal.

There were several factors for the shocking payouts. Triplett’s father, Pvt. Mose Triplett, fathered her during his second marriage when he was just a few weeks away from turning 84 years old.

And Irene, who suffered from mental disabilities, qualified for the pension as a helpless adult child of a veteran, receiving $876 a year. She passed away due to complications with a surgery in a North Carolina nursing home where she resided."
That article was from the June 4th, 2020 edition of the New York Post.

After doing some quick research, civil war pensions were far more extensive than I believed. There was a federal program for both black and white veterans and their dependents, but the former Confederate states had to each develop their own systems.

Ms. Triplett’s father, Mose Triplett, started fighting in the war for the Confederacy, but defected to the North in 1863. That decision earned his daughter Irene, the product of a late-in-life marriage to a woman almost 50 years his junior, a pension of $73.13 a month from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Sounds like fighting for the North gave him that pension.

IM2 strikes out again.

You guys claim a lot of things you don't prove. So go look for it because the fact thhat ANY confederate soldier received money from the United States government as pension for war is bs.
From the quick research I've been doing today, there was at least one. Look at the excerpt from the NY Post I copied just above this post. The individual in question first fought for the Confederacy, then deserted and fought for the Union. Family lore says that one of my ancestors did something similar. He was imported from Ireland on a blockade runner to fight for the Confederacy, found out that the people he was supposed to fight for were like the Lairds back in the old sod, promptly deserted and fought for the Union as a cavalryman. He later served in the west and married a full-blooded Comanche who I knew as a very young boy. Her verbal history is how I know how full of bull the "noble savage" myth is. The Comanche were NOT a nice people. They delighted in murdering and torturing their helpless enemies, not to mention a little casual rape and arson on the side. Their preferred method of hunting buffalo was to stampede a herd over a cliff or into a ravine then take the hides, choice cuts of meat and other usable things like sinews and leave the hundreds of tons of good meat remaining to rot.

Equal right passed because WHITES were convinced Black Americans had earned equal rights. You won't find many Whites or other minorities that feel Blacks have earned reparations.
Depends on which whites we're asking. I suspect you're going to find a large difference in the for/against if you polled white people over 65 and white people under 35.

By that Bingo logic equal rights for Blacks would never of passed.
Giving a group of people equal rights is one helluva lot easier Sell Job than Reparations... guaranteed.

White voters were able to get behind the push for equal rights... they will oppose Reparations sufficiently to kill the attempt... guaranteed.

Is your disagreement based on any particular knowledge or just your feelings?

Here's a Pew Research poll.

Black and White Americans are far apart in their views of reparations for slavery

In the 65+ demo the for/against was 18/81

In the 18 to 29 demo that number shifts to 45/52.

The trend is clearly heading in our direction.

In the 18 to 29 demo that number shifts to 45/52.

Now tell those 18 to 29 year olds how much they'll each be on the hook for.........

Giving a group of people equal rights is one helluva lot easier Sell Job than Reparations... guaranteed.
I'm not sure easy is a description that can be accurately attributed to the centuries long struggle for equal rights. That's a little like playing the result.
White voters were able to get behind the push for equal rights... they will oppose Reparations sufficiently to kill the attempt... guaranteed.
Well as I showed with the Pew Research poll that is simply not the case for younger American 18 - 29 who are not quite but almost even on the issue. The other problem I have with this assessment of yours is the underlying assumption that reparations will only pass when a majority of white people support them. That assumes white people will always be a majority. White people under the age of 18 are already a demographic minority in this country.

I'm not sure easy is a description that can be accurately attributed to the centuries long struggle for equal rights. That's a little like playing the result.
Relatively and comparatively speaking, attaining Equal Rights was easy compared to the uphill struggle to carve-out Reparations.
Well as I showed with the Pew Research poll that is simply not the case for younger American 18 - 29 who are not quite but almost even on the issue.
Until they have to pay for it in the midst of a 15-20 trillion dollar deficit :cool:

Relatively and comparatively speaking, attaining Equal Rights was easy compared to the uphill struggle to carve-out Reparations.
Again, I'm not sure how accurate a statement this can be considering that I don't think the struggle for reparations is going to entail having to whether assaults from racist citizens and police officers armed with fire hoses and billy clubs. I'll take argument and debate over that every day.
Until they have to pay for it in the midst of a 15-20 trillion dollar deficit :cool:
Who's they?

Forum List

Back