The Color of Crime...Report Statistics Released

dilloduck said:
Right--parents who have thier hands tied by crazy laws along with a culture that promotes antisocial behavior and an extremely lax and underfunded penal system. Now you know why parents are screaming to get some of this shit off TV etc.

TV - turn it off.

GotZoom said:
But who is the first line of defense to change it?
Okay, I've been holding back..Thanks zoom..

Four words for this problem..."Who my baby daddy?".

Study after study is showing a direct connect between poverty
and single head of households..

dilloduck said:
right-raise a kid with no TV---how stupid do you want this kid to appear to his peer group???

Show me where I said to raise the kid with NO TV.

Parents are quite capable of monitoring what their child watches on TV.

Hagbard Celine said:
Uh, it's possible to discipline kids without hitting them.

No, it has to do with the culture that glorifies violence and criminal behavior.

I was spanked as a child..I spanked my kids as a parent...My kids spanked their kids(Grandkids) as parents...damn...what the hell... we all came out just fine...go figure :eek: so much for that theory or is that a weak Hypothesis?

dilloduck said:
right-raise a kid with no TV---how stupid do you want this kid to appear to his peer group???
And I'm with Mr. P----we need DADS
I pretty much did the no TV stuff (not totally but very little)..She read, we did stuff outside..

She's now finishing her senior year of HS in College. She's done okay.
But, It's always a struggle for me I'll tell ya.

GotZoom said:
Show me where I said to raise the kid with NO TV.

Parents are quite capable of monitoring what their child watches on TV.

it's more than just tv----I used it as one of many examples that makes a parents' job harder. Besides the fact that there should be a man and a woman raising kids why can't society help em out a bit by presenting postive examples instead of "Grand Theft Auto" ?

dilloduck said:
it's more than just tv----I used it as one of many examples that makes a parents' job harder. Besides the fact that there should be a man and a woman raising kids why can't society help em out a bit by presenting postive examples instead of "Grand Theft Auto" ?

Agree 100%. Being a parent isn't easy. It is a huge responsibility. Let's not let our children be raised by TV, or video games, or...the countless other influences there are out there. Parents can take a stand. Tell their kids what is allowed and not allowed. If they don't want them watching MTV or playing Grand Theft Auto, then so be it. And the parents should enforce the rules once they set them.

It's hard, but not impossible.

archangel said:
I was spanked as a child..I spanked my kids as a parent...My kids spanked their kids(Grandkids) as parents...damn...what the hell... we all came out just fine...go figure :eek: so much for that theory or is that a weak Hypothesis?

Remember, he won't spank his kids. No physical violence.

He'll wag his finger at them and say, bad bad bad...don't do it again.

Then take the kid's drugs and share them with his wife.

Great.

GotZoom said:
Agree 100%. Being a parent isn't easy. It is a huge responsibility. Let's not let our children be raised by TV, or video games, or...the countless other influences there are out there. Parents can take a stand. Tell their kids what is allowed and not allowed. If they don't want them watching MTV or playing Grand Theft Auto, then so be it. And the parents should enforce the rules once they set them.

I agree with you and Mr. P. My kids did not watch tv on school nights, were too busy after school to do so. Sat. morning they could watch cartoons for 1 hour and have cereal while doing so-that was a huge deal!

We took them to movies that we chose, most of which I would never have watched, but were good deal for kids. Surprise, they all read before starting kindergarten and still prefer that to most things on tv-well except sports. :rolleyes:

When they got to high school, started letting them make their own choices-by then they just couldn't get into the dumb 'cool' shows. They knew what was stupid and boring. Sure it was hard, when they would complain that 'everyone' was talking about such and such. Oh well, that's life...

Kathianne said:
I agree with you and Mr. P. My kids did not watch tv on school nights, were too busy after school to do so. Sat. morning they could watch cartoons for 1 hour and have cereal while doing so-that was a huge deal!

We took them to movies that we chose, most of which I would never have watched, but were good deal for kids. Surprise, they all read before starting kindergarten and still prefer that to most things on tv-well except sports. :rolleyes:

When they got to high school, started letting them make their own choices-by then they just couldn't get into the dumb 'cool' shows. They knew what was stupid and boring. Sure it was hard, when they would complain that 'everyone' was talking about such and such. Oh well, that's life...

Congrats! Wonderful!

I'm curious...were they ever tempted by the "cool kids" who were doing things they weren't supposed to do?

GotZoom said:

Is it just too much of leap to suggest society give the parents a hand--after all--who pays for the damage done by bad parenting and who reaps the rewards of good parenting?

dilloduck said:
Is it just too much of leap to suggest society give the parents a hand--after all--who pays for the damage done by bad parenting and who reaps the rewards of good parenting?

I have no problem with society helping....but don't ask society to do it all.

Who reaps the rewards of good parenting?

You are kidding right?

How about.....the actual parents who raised them, society, employers, the kid's kids, neighbors, friends, etc.

Oh...wait...I left one out.

Who ultimately reaps the rewards of good parenting?

THE KIDS THEMSELVES!

From a police officer regarding this article:

"..I don't know if the numbers are accurate or not. I will tell you that [some] officers are very reluctant with black people. Obviously, we do our job and enforce the law when necessary (if a black person assaults his wife, he will be arrested for DV assault), but when you are out being proactive (such as in making traffic stops), an officer might skip over someone or tread lighter than normal with someone of color. I am always, always, always assessing my physical liability, but even more so, my financial liability while at work. This includes worrying about getting time off without pay, losing my job, or losing my reputation in the community for something I said or did. Even if what is said is factually correct, if it goes against what society expects (PCness), you might be out of luck. I worry far less about being assaulted if that puts it in perspective for you (even though I have been assaulted at least a dozen times including being shot at and being chased with a butcher knife).

Sometimes it is just not worth the hassle that might be involved. I have been accused of racial profiling dozens times while performing legitimate traffic stops where I had no idea if the driver was white or black, male or female. I have been called, "whitey," "cracker," "Hitler," "Nazi MFer" and just about every other race baiting word out there. It is part of the job I guess. I had an officer friend of mine tell me that two weeks ago he stopped a black person who was driving a very nice car (he obviously had money) for excessively speeding and not wearing his seatbelt. When he approached the car, the driver argued with him and accused him of completely fabricating the traffic stop because of race. The officer told me that he ended up just giving the driver a warning so as to avoid getting an internal complaint and having to defend himself against a charge of RP. He said that anyone else would have just been ticketed. In essence, the driver got a free pass because of his skin color. As I understand it from other officers, the closer you get to Seattle, the more pronounced it is. I am somewhat fortunate that I work quite a distance away. That is just my experience..."

GotZoom said:
I have no problem with society helping....but don't ask society to do it all.

Who reaps the rewards of good parenting?

You are kidding right?

How about.....the actual parents who raised them, society, employers, the kid's kids, neighbors, friends, etc.

Oh...wait...I left one out.

Who ultimately reaps the rewards of good parenting?

THE KIDS THEMSELVES!

and society as a WHOLE-----but since society has been increasing lax in teaching morals and values to children to support the lessons they learn at home from their parents,you know what? WE HAVE MORE CRIME. Church attendance (while not the perfect solution) was America's #1 defense against criminal activity.

dilloduck said:
and society as a WHOLE-----but since society has been increasing lax in teaching morals and values to children to support the lessons they learn at home from their parents,you know what? WE HAVE MORE CRIME. Church attendance (while not the perfect solution) was America's #1 defense against criminal activity.

The job of teaching morals and values has never been society's job. Parents are to teach values and morals to children in spite of society.

dilloduck said:

An outstanding statement!

Forum List

Back