The biggest problem in America today is...

Why don't we do away with school lunches? Why is the school serving food?
Many decades ago, everyone carried a bag lunch. It was up to the parents to feed their young. Fruit or vegtables, sandwich and snack were the usual fare.

If you don't like what the school is serving, there is an option. I know students that would make their own lunches over eating what the school offered.

Quit blaming your problems on everybody else. Gov is not the answer to your every problem (they will not come and tie your shoe when it comes undone), take responsibility for your own life and for your own family. That is what mature adults do.

How dare you talk about personal responsibility!!

You're going to piss off a lot of liberals with talk like that!!

:eusa_whistle:

Yes, personal responsibility it very important. Unfortunatley, there are many adults with children who do not take that personal responsibility to heart. Their kids go to school, many of them receiving free lunches at our expense. I don't necessarily think that is right, but in many cases it is necessary. And guess what? The school lunch is the best meal of the day for these kids.

So should we expect more from our schools and what they offer these kids? You're damn right we should, because if this is the best nutrition some of these kids will get in their lives, making certain they do get a nutritious meal will at least give them a chance. We do have many irresponsible parents out there. By ignoring the problem and not even attempting to make it better, we will all pay for it in the long run.

There are times when we need to be a little smarter than using simple mindedness to solve serious problems.

Now all we need is money. Which is hard to come by. NOt becuae it isn't available but because of how education is done in most states. For instance with in a fifteen minute drive of my house are no less than 20 different school districts , each with a district superintendant who makes anywhere from 75k to 200k.

Okay. first every Public schools in the US is cash strapped in no smal part because the reimbursements under the free lunch program is insufficient to put it mildly. Every thing we had in school when I was a kid was fried. None of us were fat except for a couple of kids with goiter conditions. Why was that? We didn't spend four hours a day day watching TV or playing video games (the latter didn't exist). Kids roamed the streets carrying baseball bats all summer and foot balls when they weren't in school in the fall and weather permitting in the winter. Now days everyone is scared to let their kids out of sight and with good reason.

I'll agree with your initial assessment. Most kids spend way too much time indoors rather than actively playing outside. This is the biggest problem we face. However, I believe, and I think there is quite a bit of support for this statistically, the idea that we should be scared to let our kids out of sight because of "Stranger Danger" is completely wrong. Based on crime statistics, crime against kids today is pretty much the same as it was in the 70's. And guess where much of it is now originating? From predators who find their victims online. If kids were out playing more and online less, they would be even safer.

Now, I'm not suggesting that parents shouldn't be responsible and have a good idea where their kids are or what they're doing, but there are an awful lot of over-protective parents out there, and they feel that way because we hear of bad things that happen on the and in the news all the time. But let's remember, we now have over 300 million people in this country. Unfortunately, there are going to be bad things that happen to a few. But does that mean we need to lock our kids up? For me, I don't think so, but that is just my opinion, and while I may disagree with those who seem to be over-protective, I do understand their concerns.

Now all we need is money. Which is hard to come by. NOt becuae it isn't available but because of how education is done in most states. For instance with in a fifteen minute drive of my house are no less than 20 different school districts , each with a district superintendant who makes anywhere from 75k to 200k.

My experience and observation has been that smaller school districts actually do better, because they seem to attract less huge, bloated, topheavy administration.

As to your horror at how much school superintendents make, how's about you try putting someone in the position to essentially be CEO of a large undertaking like that who is willing to work for chump change? See how many qualified, capable candidates you get. Good luck with that.

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE"

Why don't we grinded up and eat the fatties of the world. You, your mother, your daugther, your father, your son, etc gets too fat (measured by a BMI threshold) and into the grinder you go!

What better a way to get fatties in place! And how many problems would we solve:
(1) The Obesity epidemic would be erased quickly.
(2) What better incentive to loss weight and never become fat, then to avoid the grinder?
(3) In the beginning we would have a surplus of meat! We could even export it to the starving people in Africa!
(4) We reduce healthcare costs, because who typically has the most health problems? FATTY DOES!
(5) Not chance for a revolt? I mean how much fun would the US army have fighting a rebellion of fat asses! It would be great! By the nature of being obese, they are slow, lazy, not agile, not physically fit and have less a will to fight! The slaughter (no pun intended) would be overnight!

OK, I am being tough and cheek here! And maybe I have less sympathy for fat people, because my family has no history of weight problems and maybe I have less sympathy. Maybe I don't understand genetically fat people, because it doesn't effect me. Nevertheless, it doesn't take a genious to figure out that if you eat the double quarter pounder with cheese, you are going to get fatter. Maybe have the plain grilled chicken instead!

If (when?) a public option becomes available, there should be a clause in it addressing obesity. Such as:
(1) If you have a BMI rating of over X, you are entered into the rapid weight loss program. If fatty doesn't show progress (meaning dropping BMI percentages), then he gets dropped.
(2) If fatty exceeds a BMI rating of X, he is denied coverage until he gets to the acceptable BMI rating for the rapid weight loss program
(3) If an originally healthy person puts himself over a BMI of X, then he must go into a weight loss program and actually get back to acceptable BMI or risk getting dropped!

Just my 2 cents!

Why don't we do away with school lunches? Why is the school serving food?
Many decades ago, everyone carried a bag lunch. It was up to the parents to feed their young. Fruit or vegtables, sandwich and snack were the usual fare.

If you don't like what the school is serving, there is an option. I know students that would make their own lunches over eating what the school offered.

Quit blaming your problems on everybody else. Gov is not the answer to your every problem (they will not come and tie your shoe when it comes undone), take responsibility for your own life and for your own family. That is what mature adults do.

While that basic argument is ALWAYS a credible one, it's unrealistic in today's enormously diverse society which includes millions of uneducated and/or poverty-level families. While that's nice to preach to a gathering of a hundred or so, it's hardly effective as a workable tool for millions in untenable situations to abide by. I swear some of you people never climb outside your comfy little boxes and take a good long look at the REAL world.

What does anything you just said have to do with people feeding their children? Or personal responsibility?

Healthy food is too expensive. Maybe if PARENTS had to feed their own kids, schools wouldn't have to serve so much crap. Perhaps if we eliminated free lunch, the obesity rate would go down.

Are there really that many people out there unable to exercise restraint in their everyday lives that we need to now regulate what people choose to eat?

I have an idea.. stop shoving Quarter Pounders in your cakehole on a regular basis.. problem solved.

No, the biggest problem in America is this obsessive idea that government should micromanage our daily lives. Leave us the heck alone.

Then don't come crying to the gubmit when a private health insurer will no longer cover you because you're too fat. Many people who are morbidly obese can't even get life insurance.

Who said that anyone comes crying to the government? Where do you people get this crap? Maybe if we didn't have a safety net for every damn little thing people would learn early in life to be responsible for themselves and their actions?

Not being a 'health nazi', but recognizing keeping the weight down is good for you I'll chime in.

None of my 3 children have ever been 'overweight', 2 are still 'underweight.' The youngest is 23 now. I was always a 'home cook', even when starting to work full time, utilized the crock pot. Most meals were heavy on vegs, included meat, often a sauce, and nearly always a dessert.

I always sent the kids to school with their lunches, unless they begged for a 'special day' bought at school lunch, which really was rare, as my lunches were better. ;) Lunch might be a sandwich-ingredients separated: bread, toppings-including lettuce/tomatoes/onions where appropriate, mayo, mustard, catsup. PBJ could be made ahead of time. They built their sandwich at school-no 'odors' or mushiness.

They each had a thermos for soup/stews/skinny hot chocolate.

Sometimes I copied a heartier and healthier version of 'lunchables' letting them pick crackers/bread/spreadibles.

Saved a ton of money and they ate better than their friends. I always included some fruit and veggies. Also a cookie or sweet of some type. I've never been into deprivation I don't think it is the way too go. If they wanted chips of some sort, we got the mini-paks. All of them grew out of that, but when you are bringing your lunch when most buy, makes sense they want to even it up. (Their schools would not sell chips).

Which brings me to my to the point question: Perhaps my school districts were odd, but I'm 53 years old and in my last two years of high school a salad bar was a daily option. What the hell is going on with all of your schools? One of my kids went through public schools from gr 3-12; the other two from middle school or high school. Never did they not have an offering of 'healthy alternatives.' Mine were just tastier and fresher, maybe they just figured I knew to wash my hands and wouldn't contaminate their food?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a chocolate chip or snickerdoodle cookies now and again. Dessert can easily be fruit with yogurt over it. Sure a cheesecake slice now and again won't kill you either. It's how often and how much.

I agree with your last comments about where these other schools are Annie. I have one in junior high and one in high school and their lunches have a variety of offerings including a salad bar. They do not sell chips, cookies, candy, or soda anywhere in the school either. Also, if you don't like what is provided then as you said, pack their lunches and make sure they are eating healthy, it's not that difficult. To expect the federal government to regulate what everyone chooses to eat is ridiculous and I can't even believe that there are people out there who would advocate it. As I said previously, perhaps we should start teaching about responsiblity, and consequences for bad actions instead of promising that big brother will fix everything that you screw up paid for by the rest of society. Consequences are a part of learning, and the more you take them away, the worse it is going to get when it comes to people taking personal responsibility for themselves and their behavior.

Our school now offers free breakfast as well as lunch. Many of the after school clubs provide pizza and other snacks because the teachers know that many of these kids won't get dinner. What the hell do these people do with their food stamps?

Is there some law saying these kids have to buy lunch at school? Don't like what's being offered? Pack your kid's lunch. You control what goes in it. My kids never buy their lunch at school. They've all tried it once or twice and found the food gross so they don't buy. Even if they found the food good enough they still wouldn't buy because why would I spend more money on school food vs. what I can make for them? And who says you just have to have pb&j or bologna? blech. Roast beef, turkey, ham and cheese, chicken, egg, and tuna salad . . . The government needs to butt the hell out. What, are they one day going to be telling me I can't have whole milk because it's full fat and because they think I shouldn't have it? Give me a break. People aren't fat because someone is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to eat crap; people are fat because they choose to eat crap.

What the nazis want is to take choice away because some are not capable of choosing wisely, so therefore no one should have choice. Unless of course it's something that they support such as abortion, then it's all about 'choice'. You don't take freedoms away from people b/c some cannot behave wisely under it. You let those who cannot make wise choices learn from their unwise choices, otherwise the bad behavior will just continue. The answer is not trying to rigidly control what everyone else is doing, that's never going to work.

While that basic argument is ALWAYS a credible one, it's unrealistic in today's enormously diverse society which includes millions of uneducated and/or poverty-level families. While that's nice to preach to a gathering of a hundred or so, it's hardly effective as a workable tool for millions in untenable situations to abide by. I swear some of you people never climb outside your comfy little boxes and take a good long look at the REAL world.

So you're saying that millions are too stupid to know how and what to feed their children?

Um, yes. Hello????

Virtual is what's wrong but it shouldn't take too long to convince people to eat virtual food online so they would only get virtually fat.

You mean I could actually transform myself into a PoliticalChic or my next romance into a Newby[John]? But wouldn't that mean we'd have to give up our brains in exchange?

Quote: Originally Posted by JakeStarkey ~ She is what she is: a broken, jealous person.

And old, too!

Gosh, it only took you a couple of pages to descend into misogyny. I sure am glad leftists have such a deep, abiding respect for women as human beings, rather than sex objects and chattel to be judged on youth and appearance.

You might want to get on looking up that definition of "hypocrite", son. But do it on your own time, because I don't bother listening to insecure pseudo-men who have to put women down in order to feel like they aren't inadequate. FLUSH!

Oh, PS. Sorry about your tiny penis.

Women with snotty attitudes like yours clear rooms real fast, of men AND women.

Maggie does have a point in saying that many parents are too stupid to know what to feed their kids. Might I add selfish and lazy too.

I have no respect for parents who don't take care of their kids.But I do have sympathy for the children, Schools are taking over the role of parent because somebody has to. Sux for those of us who do the right thing.

What does anything you just said have to do with people feeding their children? Or personal responsibility?

Allow me to translate: Preaching about what people SHOULD do represents nothing but all talk and no action. You can drag a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Expanding on that analogy, if you have 20 horses at one water trough, some of them will still be thirsty. Need I go on?

Forum List

Back