The biggest problem in America today is...

I can't believe no one is reacting to the insane notion that the reason there are no laws being proposed to let the government control what parents feed their children is because of expensive lobbying on the part of McDonald's and other fast food restaurants. Yeah, that's it! It has to be sneaky, underhanded corporations with deep pockets! It can't POSSIBLY be because IT'S NONE OF YOUR FRIGGING BUSINESS HOW I RAISE MY KIDS! Did you know-it-all, do-gooding busybody libs give birth to those crumb crunchers? Because I don't recall seeing any of YOU in those delivery rooms during the eleven or so hours I spent in labor with each of them. I don't remember any of YOU at the prenatal appointments with your feet up in the stirrups. And I sure as hell don't remember any of your asses in the nursery at 2:30 am to change their dirty diapers and feed them. I am fed up to my eyeballs with you pompous Johnny-Come-Latelies waltzing in and presuming to "care" about "our" children at this late date.

I'll admit I'm carrying a few extra pounds - about 20 lbs overweight, give or take 2-3. It used to be more after having the kids, but I've been really watching what the kids (and by extension myself) eat and basically banning junk food in the house. To this point they've been in daycare with cheap, salty fried food every single day (or else balogna sandwiches - is that stuff really food?). They start KG tomorrow and the school lunch menu actually looks much healthier than the junk they've been having, with the daily option of a chef salad (which my kids will actually eat) instead of the regular offering. I for one am pleased about the improvements with them entering school compared to what they've had.

There's no doubt that the addiction to fast food starts in early childhood and is compounded by parents who don't want to give it up either. I sure didn't, and it took a LOT of retraining of my taste buds to get away from it.

I have three nieces who all exhibited signs of genetic weight problems anyway, their parents continued to allow them to eat anything they wanted, whenever they wanted, and now they are adolescents and as you can imagine are already being either shunned or picked on in school. They try to wear the stuff the more svelte teen girls are wearing, but just look like sausages. So what happens? They are frustrated and depressed, and so they eat MORE. It's a vicious cycle.

Actually, I was never overweight B.C. (Before Children). But like too many of us, I gained way too much weight while I was carrying them and had a hard time taking it off. Just no time or energy at first with two newborns, but then convenience food became a habit as they got older and the schedule hectic in different ways. The kids have never been overweight, but they need to learn better habits so I started watching and reaped some rewards myself.
It's incredibly easy to see how a lot of people are sucked in by fast food and convenience food, but it's still nobody's responsiblity to keep people from the drive thru except them. Perhaps if we started subsidizing produce and healthy foods instead of corn for syrup it would make a difference in prices, but education is the key. I'd go along with labeling as part of that effort, but trying to be the food police is ridiculous.

School lunches are really gross. When I went to school the lunch ladies actually cooked. The new schools' cafeterias are mainly freezers with defrosting capabilities for kitchens, we used to have actual kitchens. And the lunches are sub contracted out. It's crap and my kids won't eat it.

No, the biggest problem in America is this obsessive idea that government should micromanage our daily lives. Leave us the heck alone.

It may hurt to think about it - but if you or your family uses health insurance and have had nutrition deficient related illnesses and have used your health insurance to visit the doctor because of those illnesses, you have contributed unknowingly to the great problem we have today in healthcare.

You pay taxes. The government and we the people rely on you for your income. If you miss work, you pay fewer taxes.

Oh goody just waht the world needs - another health Nazi.

Actually, he's got a point.. The shit they're serving in schools now, compared to when I went is just that. Shit.

When I went, Friday's menu was whole milk, pizza (4"x4" slice), salad, some vegetable, a piece of garlic bread (maybe 2"x3"), and something like jello for dessert. That was your meal - there were no options, no substitutions, and certainly no junk food machines tucked into the corner.

Just as an example.

Now, from what I hear, you can practically get a big mac in school for lunch.

Actually, you just mentioned what constitutes a big part of school budgets, another problem. Just cut the crap and I wonder how much more money would be available for books.

The problem is Pizza Hut (Pepsi) and McDonalds bid for the lowest possible contract and beat out other corporations because they know they're going to generate future customers.

Not being a 'health nazi', but recognizing keeping the weight down is good for you I'll chime in.

None of my 3 children have ever been 'overweight', 2 are still 'underweight.' The youngest is 23 now. I was always a 'home cook', even when starting to work full time, utilized the crock pot. Most meals were heavy on vegs, included meat, often a sauce, and nearly always a dessert.

I always sent the kids to school with their lunches, unless they begged for a 'special day' bought at school lunch, which really was rare, as my lunches were better. ;) Lunch might be a sandwich-ingredients separated: bread, toppings-including lettuce/tomatoes/onions where appropriate, mayo, mustard, catsup. PBJ could be made ahead of time. They built their sandwich at school-no 'odors' or mushiness.

They each had a thermos for soup/stews/skinny hot chocolate.

Sometimes I copied a heartier and healthier version of 'lunchables' letting them pick crackers/bread/spreadibles.

Saved a ton of money and they ate better than their friends. I always included some fruit and veggies. Also a cookie or sweet of some type. I've never been into deprivation I don't think it is the way too go. If they wanted chips of some sort, we got the mini-paks. All of them grew out of that, but when you are bringing your lunch when most buy, makes sense they want to even it up. (Their schools would not sell chips).

Which brings me to my to the point question: Perhaps my school districts were odd, but I'm 53 years old and in my last two years of high school a salad bar was a daily option. What the hell is going on with all of your schools? One of my kids went through public schools from gr 3-12; the other two from middle school or high school. Never did they not have an offering of 'healthy alternatives.' Mine were just tastier and fresher, maybe they just figured I knew to wash my hands and wouldn't contaminate their food?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a chocolate chip or snickerdoodle cookies now and again. Dessert can easily be fruit with yogurt over it. Sure a cheesecake slice now and again won't kill you either. It's how often and how much.

We used to get actual apples or carrot sticks and celery and mashed potatoes or spaghetti, the spaghetti was really good and some rice thing with chicken......and a salad or whatever....and whole milk. Unless a child has some sort of problem, whole milk is best, especially with small children, fat is good, it's what your brain and nervous system need. But naturally occurring fat, not manipulated oils used to deep fry some sort of gluten.

High fructose corn syrup ought to be banned. It tricks your "fullness" mechanism into not working. Try to avoid it though. It's in everything from yogurt to english muffins to coke. Other countries get coke with cane sugar, we get the damned high fructose corn syrup.

Is there some law saying these kids have to buy lunch at school? Don't like what's being offered? Pack your kid's lunch. You control what goes in it. My kids never buy their lunch at school. They've all tried it once or twice and found the food gross so they don't buy. Even if they found the food good enough they still wouldn't buy because why would I spend more money on school food vs. what I can make for them? And who says you just have to have pb&j or bologna? blech. Roast beef, turkey, ham and cheese, chicken, egg, and tuna salad . . . The government needs to butt the hell out. What, are they one day going to be telling me I can't have whole milk because it's full fat and because they think I shouldn't have it? Give me a break. People aren't fat because someone is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to eat crap; people are fat because they choose to eat crap.

I make my kids pack their own lunches.

And I think we've mostly chimed in and said that our kids don't buy lunches except rarely. so get off your high beagle.

But the public school system shouldn't be marketing crap.

The thing is though fast food isn't bad if you eat it every now in then. the problem arises is when people eat that stuff on a regular basis.

you can't really compare cigarettes because it doesn't matter how little often you have one it's still bad for you. even people who don't smoke are at risk for second hand smoke. there is not a such thing as second hand fast food eating.

i liked to have mcdonals every now and then. I might have it once or twice a month at the most. and im still able to maintain my weight. but if i ate it everyday i would be overweight and unhealthy.

and as for kid's lunches i agree that something needs to be done. but the probably is schools cannot afford healthier lunches. so they rely on the junk food. i say if you can pack your kids lunch then do it. but unfortunately some people simply don't have the time to pack their kids food. someone people have jobs where they leave before the kids.

Last edited:
No, the biggest problem in America is this obsessive idea that government should micromanage our daily lives. Leave us the heck alone.

Then don't come crying to the gubmit when a private health insurer will no longer cover you because you're too fat. Many people who are morbidly obese can't even get life insurance.

I wouldnt do that to begin with you freaking nazi.

If im overweight. Im going to lose the weight. Its not freaking rocket science.

I make my kids pack their own lunches.

Good for you. I always think that food tastes better when someone else makes it, so I pack my kids lunch. My middle is special needs and although he could pack his own, I pick my battles and this isn't one I choose at 6:30am. My youngest empties the dishwasher in the morning and feeds the furry creatures.

And I think we've mostly chimed in and said that our kids don't buy lunches except rarely. so get off your high beagle.

:lol: Thanks for noticing my avatar.

But the public school system shouldn't be marketing crap.

Then the parents can complain to the school board to get what's served changed.

The obesity problems in today's kids isn't caused by what they eat during their lunch hour; it's caused by what they eat the other 23 hours and by what they're not doing.

Oh goody just waht the world needs - another health Nazi.

Actually, he's got a point.. The shit they're serving in schools now, compared to when I went is just that. Shit.

When I went, Friday's menu was whole milk, pizza (4"x4" slice), salad, some vegetable, a piece of garlic bread (maybe 2"x3"), and something like jello for dessert. That was your meal - there were no options, no substitutions, and certainly no junk food machines tucked into the corner.

Just as an example.

Now, from what I hear, you can practically get a big mac in school for lunch.

You know, as a parent, I have asked the school district about their food choices...their answer? They don't make money if they sell nutritious foods. I know the teachers at my daughter's middle school complained about the district selling Hot Cheetoes during "Nutrition Break"...they'd stuff a bag full in their mouths in 10 minutes, get that red powder all over the doorknobs and textbooks and sometimes even barf. The district said they sell it because they have to keep their food program in the black...

School lunches are really gross. When I went to school the lunch ladies actually cooked. The new schools' cafeterias are mainly freezers with defrosting capabilities for kitchens, we used to have actual kitchens. And the lunches are sub contracted out. It's crap and my kids won't eat it.

When I was a kid, all the kids complained about the food. But looking back, it really was fairly decent, and it was nutritious and well balanced. We didn't have very many fat kids when I was a kid, at least that I can remember. There were a couple, but they were the exception.

For the most part though, outside of school, I think you will find that the lower the income, the greater the chance of kids being fat. But it's not because poor people can't afford to purchase the right foods; they just choose to eat crap. I spend around $500 per month on food for myself and my two teenage boys. We eat crap for snacks quite a bit, but we also eat a decent dinner every night. For lunch, my boys will normally eat a sandwich, a piece of fruit, some chips and a cookie. And they only drink milk at mealtime, whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

As an example of what we eat for dinner, tonight we had steelhead trout with scalloped potatoes, and peas. The meal cost about $10.00 and took 30 minutes to prepare. It's really not that difficult.

Besides the food we eat, the lack of physical activity among our kids is another huge problem. My kids are in sports at school. Both run cross-country, wrestle, and are on the track team in spring. It really doesn't matter what activity they do so long as they are doing something consistently. Sitting in front of the TV playing X-box doesn't count. The bottom line is that it is the parent's responsibility. When you cook dinner and the kid doesn't like what you cooked, you have a choice; make him/her eat it or starve, or let him open a bag of chips and have some ice cream instead.

Too many parents believe it's not good to force kids to eat things they don't like. Well, my kids eat what I put in front of them, and because of that, they now like, or at least will tolerate, just about anything I feed them. They eat every type of meat, fish, and seafood you can imagine. Actually, if we do go out to eat, that can become expensive because they've learned to appreciate things like crab legs, lobster, and all kinds of other good things.

Is there some law saying these kids have to buy lunch at school? Don't like what's being offered? Pack your kid's lunch. You control what goes in it. My kids never buy their lunch at school. They've all tried it once or twice and found the food gross so they don't buy. Even if they found the food good enough they still wouldn't buy because why would I spend more money on school food vs. what I can make for them? And who says you just have to have pb&j or bologna? blech. Roast beef, turkey, ham and cheese, chicken, egg, and tuna salad . . . The government needs to butt the hell out. What, are they one day going to be telling me I can't have whole milk because it's full fat and because they think I shouldn't have it? Give me a break. People aren't fat because someone is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to eat crap; people are fat because they choose to eat crap.

It's great that you pack or used to pack your kids' lunches. I do the same. Actually, they are old enough now that they do it on their own. But a lot of parents are too lazy and just rely on the school to feed their kids. And for those who are on a free or subsidized lunch program, the kids will eat what is available, and a lot of what is available in school lunches these days is crap.

The thing is though fast food isn't bad if you eat it every now in then. the problem arises is when people eat that stuff on a regular basis.

you can't really compare cigarettes because it doesn't matter how little often you have one it's still bad for you. even people who don't smoke are at risk for second hand smoke. there is not a such thing as second hand fast food eating.

i liked to have mcdonals every now and then. I might have it once or twice a month at the most. and im still able to maintain my weight. but if i ate it everyday i would be overweight and unhealthy.

and as for kid's lunches i agree that something needs to be done. but the probably is schools cannot afford healthier lunches. so they rely on the junk food. i say if you can pack your kids lunch then do it. but unfortunately some people simply don't have the time to pack their kids food. someone people have jobs where they leave before the kids.

The idea that it is cheaper for schools to provide crap lunches versus cooking an in-house decent lunch is a crock. It's like saying that it is cheaper to eat out or order out for dinner than it is to cook at home. If schools were cooking a set meal, maybe with two options, for the entire school, it doesn't cost them that much.

Forum List

Back