The Bible's archaic, arbitrary code of ethics is ineffective in the real world.

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
I have been challenged several times to demonstrate how Christianity harms society, presumably be cause the person challenging me thinks that it doesn't. So, this will be the first of numerous discussions demonstrating exactly how Christianity harms society. Now, I am certain that any of a number of theists, and apologists will be tempted to respond with, "Well, but atheism..." fill in the blank. Don't. Resist that temptation. I'm sure that whatever you are about to say about atheism is earth-shattering, profound, and brilliantly insightful. So, by all means, go open a discussion thread with that thought. In the meantime this discussion is about Christians, and their affect on society. Let's do stay on topic. Now, on with the show...

The Bible's archaic, arbitrary code of ethics is ineffective in the real world. Now, this is not to say that the bible does not have any good ideas - Do not murder, Do not steal, for example. However, when you consider all of the rules, and regulations in the Bible as a whole, you discover vagueness, contradictions, absurdities, immorality idolized and morality demonized. Now, I'm sure that there are going to be Christians who swear this isn't true. Allow me to illustrate. According to the rules, as written in Deuteronomy, if you go to war and take women captive, you can marry them after shaving their head and living with them for a month. But, once you have, can't sell them as slaves to anyone else. Who the fuck needs to even be told not to sell their wife a s a fucking slave?!?! The people who wrote the Bible, apparently. Also, according to Deuteronomy, if you have a disobedient son, you can take him to the middle of town, and everyone can have a rock throwing party. Now, Christians will say, "Oh! But we don't do that any more," No, but it makes the abuse that you do deliver seem mild by comparison. "Hey, all I do is beat my kid with a belt, at least I'm not stoning him like we used to do..."

According to 1st Corinthians, a woman should sit down, shut up, and submit to their husbands. Now, again, Christians will insist, "Why yes, a wife should be obedient to her husband," Uh...I won't touch that one. I'll let your own wives deal with you on that score. However, I will point out that the Bible didn't just say "be obedient," Nooo. I, specifically says submit The word "submit" actually means to give over or yield to the power or authority of another. You know who else is expected to "submit"? Servants and slaves. That's right. The Bible specifically relegates wives to the position of servants, and slaves. Oh! And speaking of slaves, the Bible specifically endorses slavery in both the Old, and the New Testament. And this from a people who wrote an entire book about their shitty time as a race of slaves!!! Wrap your head around that one. So, how about we dispense, Christians, with any protestations about the morality advocated in the Bible.

But it gets better! Compounding the problem, the determining factor of whether or not you're forgiven or punished for violating these vague, contradictory, absurd rules is whether or not you believe in a story. Again, Christians are going to say, "That's not how it works! You have to accept him as Lord and Saviour!" And how do we know that he is "Lord and Saviour"? Oh. That's right. That story. So, you have to believe in a story. Okay...okay. You have to believe in a story, and say the magic words demonstrating that you believe the story.

Here's why that's bad. Imagine if you were trying to control a class of 6 year old children and you gave them an arbitrary set of conflicting, vague rules and told them that the only way to escape punishment for breaking the rules is to believe in a story. What would happen? Chaos would break out.

Children raised their entire lives on vague, arbitrary rules reinforced by fantasy stories of magic, and mythology grow up into adults with a warped sense of reality. They often feel guilty for doing innocent, natural things, believe they deserve to go to Hell, believe in magical spirits and powers, distrust science, fear pleasure and celebrate subjugation of self. These are not the habits of an enlightened society. They're irrational, and they contradict reality. If you live your life according to beliefs that contradict reality you're going to have a bad time.

Also, some of those kids believing in archaic, haphazard rules are going to grow up to be politicians, and they are going to try to laws based on those beliefs, which will in turn be draconian, archaic, and haphazard.

Last edited:
th

This is different from the vague arbitrary rules that seem to whimsically change with the progressive social justice warriors in what manner?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

The Bible's archaic, arbitrary code of ethics is ineffective in the real world. Now, this is not to say that the bible does not have any good ideas - Do not murder, Do not steal, for example.
:

Those good ideas predate the bible and simply because they maintains order in any society.

Children raised their entire lives on vague, arbitrary rules reinforced by fantasy stories of magic, and mythology grow up into adults with a warped sense of reality. They often feel guilty for doing innocent, natural things, believe they deserve to go to Hell, believe in magical spirits and powers, distrust science, fear pleasure and celebrate subjugation of self. These are not the habits of an enlightened society. They're irrational, and they contradict reality. If you live your life according to beliefs that contradict reality you're going to have a bad time.

I agree with that. Words like good or bad are so vague they are often difficult to grasp and arbitrary.

One of the greatest things about living in the US is that there are a variety of religions and kids begin questioning as they get older. Does Christianity have the capacity to create distorted sense of reality? Sure. Could that encourage politicians to attempt to create laws that violate the establishment clause? Sure. Good thing we have that, eh?

Without that clause you might have a pretty good argument. You wouldn't be allowed to argue it, but you would have that. That is the line.

I see many of your arguments are made in the abstract as if these are the Christians way over there. The concept of Christianity way over there. I don't necessarily find these things to be true in daily interaction.

And I am an atheist.

"Nooo. I, specifically says submit The word "submit" actually means to give over or yield to the power or authority of another."

It doesn't say to submit, to yield or give power to anything but the Spirit of God. Jesus even went one further and said that there was but only One that is good and that is God. Jesus also describe God as a spirit of pure love..... Why not try to define what 'pure love' is if you can.

You appear to desire to put all your hopes on crushing Christianity with the Old Testament yet rarely do Christians teach from the Old Testament or even attempt to because most of them do not understand it and from what you are saying you do not understand it either.

I have been challenged several times to demonstrate how Christianity harms society, presumably be cause the person challenging me thinks that it doesn't. So, this will be the first of numerous discussions demonstrating exactly how Christianity harms society. Now, I am certain that any of a number of theists, and apologists will be tempted to respond with, "Well, but atheism..." fill in the blank. Don't. Resist that temptation. I'm sure that whatever you are about to say about atheism is earth-shattering, profound, and brilliantly insightful. So, by all means, go open a discussion thread with that thought. In the meantime this discussion is about Christians, and their affect on society. Let's do stay on topic. Now, on with the show...

The Bible's archaic, arbitrary code of ethics is ineffective in the real world. Now, this is not to say that the bible does not have any good ideas - Do not murder, Do not steal, for example. However, when you consider all of the rules, and regulations in the Bible as a whole, you discover vagueness, contradictions, absurdities, immorality idolized and morality demonized. Now, I'm sure that there are going to be Christians who swear this isn't true. Allow me to illustrate. According to the rules, as written in Deuteronomy, if you go to war and take women captive, you can marry them after shaving their head and living with them for a month. But, once you have, can't sell them as slaves to anyone else. Who the fuck needs to even be told not to sell their wife a s a fucking slave?!?! The people who wrote the Bible, apparently. Also, according to Deuteronomy, if you have a disobedient son, you can take him to the middle of town, and everyone can have a rock throwing party. Now, Christians will say, "Oh! But we don't do that any more," No, but it makes the abuse that you do deliver seem mild by comparison. "Hey, all I do is beat my kid with a belt, at least I'm not stoning him like we used to do..."

According to 1st Corinthians, a woman should sit down, shut up, and submit to their husbands. Now, again, Christians will insist, "Why yes, a wife should be obedient to her husband," Uh...I won't touch that one. I'll let your own wives deal with you on that score. However, I will point out that the Bible didn't just say "be obedient," Nooo. I, specifically says submit The word "submit" actually means to give over or yield to the power or authority of another. You know who else is expected to "submit"? Servants and slaves. That's right. The Bible specifically relegates wives to the position of servants, and slaves. Oh! And speaking of slaves, the Bible specifically endorses slavery in both the Old, and the New Testament. And this from a people who wrote an entire book about their shitty time as a race of slaves!!! Wrap your head around that one. So, how about we dispense, Christians, with any protestations about the morality advocated in the Bible.

But it gets better! Compounding the problem, the determining factor of whether or not you're forgiven or punished for violating these vague, contradictory, absurd rules is whether or not you believe in a story. Again, Christians are going to say, "That's not how it works! You have to accept him as Lord and Saviour!" And how do we know that he is "Lord and Saviour"? Oh. That's right. That story. So, you have to believe in a story. Okay...okay. You have to believe in a story, and say the magic words demonstrating that you believe the story.

Here's why that's bad. Imagine if you were trying to control a class of 6 year old children and you gave them an arbitrary set of conflicting, vague rules and told them that the only way to escape punishment for breaking the rules is to believe in a story. What would happen? Chaos would break out.

Also, some of those kids believing in archaic, haphazard rules are going to grow up to be politicians, and they are going to try to laws based on those beliefs, which will in turn be draconian, archaic, and haphazard.

What struck me is the admission, "Christians are going to say...." This sums it up beautifully. Christians understand the context of the teachings, how and when to apply them.

You may need to tone down rhetoric less it give people who don't know atheists the impression atheists live in a state of constant terror and panic.

The Bible does not dictate ethics or morality, it reflects the values of the society in which it exists. The OT & NT have existed through many millennium and reflect the changing mores of the cultures that created its various books. The Bible is not dangerous but can be weaponized by anyone. There is so much there you can cherry-pick a passage to support any position. For example, there is plenty in Leviticus but the only thing we hear is a prohibition about homosexuality.

One reason I'm not a believer is this 'evolution'. How could one God create so many different moral codes?

"Nooo. I, specifically says submit The word "submit" actually means to give over or yield to the power or authority of another."

It doesn't say to submit, to yield or give power to anything but the Spirit of God. Jesus even went one further and said that there was but only One that is good and that is God. Jesus also describe God as a spirit of pure love..... Why not try to define what 'pure love' is if you can.

You appear to desire to put all your hopes on crushing Christianity with the Old Testament yet rarely do Christians teach from the Old Testament or even attempt to because most of them do not understand it and from what you are saying you do not understand it either.
BTW, I should clarify that a wife in the Bible is talking about things that a person attaches themselves to spiritually.

A bit for you since you study Greek.

Mycenaean Greek= woman - ku-na-ja

ku= my, me, cooing, humming as bees, my or me> as in this belongs to me, ancient native Americans- it meant dove

na= pray now, lift up

ja= born (as in the spirit within MAN= the spiritual being within son- of God's spirit, be they female or male humans, the essence of which can also be called "bone of my bone")

Those wives can be anything from a job to an object or even a habit a person has attached themselves to....

That is a flat out lie. Ephesians specifically tells women to submit to their husbands. Now, Christians insist, "But that went both ways," Except it doesn't. No where does the Bible tell Men to submit to their wives.

Not true. I specifically included the misogynist commands of the New Testament which are just as morally corrupt.

I am a Christian. But I do realize that the do not murder supports absolute centralized government power. The Kalvinists worked around this problem by pointing out, that a centralized absolute power aims at displacing God, hence sinful by nature.

That is a flat out lie. Ephesians specifically tells women to submit to their husbands. Now, Christians insist, "But that went both ways," Except it doesn't. No where does the Bible tell Men to submit to their wives.

Not true. I specifically included the misogynist commands of the New Testament which are just as morally corrupt.

There is no difference between male or female humans. If you read the whole book instead of trying to pick and choose and slice and dice you may actually learn something about how the spirit of mercy may shine on you also. Something you might want to be aware of that comes along with that spirit of mercy is that God reserves the right to kick you in the ass when he deems fit whether you like it or not.

My husband says it is possible to ram a red hot poker up a wild cats ass but there is no guarantee that he's gonna' like it. When the master came out out of the tomb he first appeared to the woman. And his commission was entrusted to her because she was worthy of it. Does that rip your knickers?

Ten Commandments did not change but that one was added to make eleven when Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples to love one another as I have loved you.

I am a Christian. But I do realize that the do not murder supports absolute centralized government power. The Kalvinists worked around this problem by pointing out, that a centralized absolute power aims at displacing God, hence sinful by nature.
See, that's just rationalising one's way around the clear inconsistencies in the Bible.

There is no difference between male or female humans. If you read the whole book instead of trying to pick and choose and slice and dice you may actually learn something about how the spirit of mercy may shine on you also. Something you might want to be aware of that comes along with that spirit of mercy is that God reserves the right to kick you in the ass when he deems fit whether you like it or not.
That is demonstrably not true.

"You shall not covet your neighbour’s house. You shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour."

The very basis of the Bible's perception of women is property Your neighbours wife "belongs to your neighbour". Not belongs with him, like fate, but belongs to him, like property. It places his wife as having more value than his slaves, or livestock, but less value than his house.

My husband says it is possible to ram a red hot poker up a wild cats ass but there is no guarantee that he's gonna' like it. When the master came out out of the tomb he first appeared to the woman. And his commission was entrusted to her because she was worthy of it. Does that rip your knickers?

Ten Commandments did not change but that one was added to make eleven when Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples to love one another as I have loved you.
And what made her "worthy"? Could it have bee that she was the one who subjegated herself, and washed his feet like a slave?

"You shall not covet your neighbour’s house. You shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour."

The very basis of the Bible's perception of women is property Your neighbours wife "belongs to your neighbour". Not belongs with him, like fate, but belongs to him, like property. It places his wife as having more value than his slaves, or livestock, but less value than his house.

And what made her "worthy"? Could it have bee that she was the one who subjegated herself, and washed his feet like a slave?
You have missed the first portion of the Book Male and Female in God's image. And entirely missed the creation of the hosts of heaven that were created in the beginning.

Do not set your eyes on another persons belongings is really simple as you the Adam = human (nothing denotes that human as specifically a male other than your erroneous precepts. It hinders you from moving in the spirit beyond the carnality of flesh). Those male female precepts came from those without. Why long for something that belongs to another human as it may prevent you or entice you into breaking another commandment like don't be stealing or lying?

Per your question 'what made her worthy' you should go sit in that closet and ask the one who gave her that commission. That's part of your problem you want to slice and dice because apparently you don't agree with it.

You have missed the first portion of the Book Male and Female in God's image. And entirely missed the creation of the hosts of heaven that were created in the beginning.
Which is directly contradicted by the second chapter account in which Male is created first, and female is created as a "lesser part" of Man. Also, since you brought up that first account, I notice you were intelligent enough to avoid the common error "God created Male and Female in HIS image". After all, unlike the rest of the entire Bible, The First chapter makes a point of referring to the plurality of divinity - "us", "our". Another ambiguity, and inconsistency that is never actually explained.

Do not set your eyes on another persons belongings is really simple as you the Adam = human (nothing denotes that human as specifically a male other than your erroneous precepts. It hinders you from moving in the spirit beyond the carnality of flesh)
Sorry. Nope. You're the one trying to redefine, and reinterpret אָדָם "Adam", man, which could be translated as "mankind", until you consider that אָדָם is used, in this case, as direct contrast to אִשָּׁה "Eve", woman. When understood in this context, it is clear that ADAM was not meant as "mankind", but specifically MAN, to distinguish him from WOMAN who was created from a lesser part of MAN, again placing her as lesser than the original.

Those male female precepts came from those without. Why long for something that belongs to another human as it may prevent you or entice you into breaking another commandment like don't be stealing or lying?
Even here you are implying that a man's wife belongs to him. All you're doing is reinforcing the idea that, in biblical terns, a woman is property.

Per your question 'what made her worthy' you should go sit in that closet and ask the one who gave her that commission. That's part of your problem you want to slice and dice because apparently you don't agree with it.
Why should I need to do that, when we have her actions, and the clear biblical perception of a woman's "place" to find the obvious answer? You would prefer that rather than e mploying the light of reason, that I crawl into the darkness of irrational faith to "find my answers". Thanks anyway. I'll stick to the light. But thank you, again, for demonstrating the harm that religion in general, and Christianity in particular, does - encouraging wilful ignorance over reason, and logic.

Which is directly contradicted by the second chapter account in which Male is created first, and female is created as a "lesser part" of Man. Also, since you brought up that first account, I notice you were intelligent enough to avoid the common error "God created Male and Female in HIS image". After all, unlike the rest of the entire Bible, The First chapter makes a point of referring to the plurality of divinity - "us", "our". Another ambiguity, and inconsistency that is never actually explained.

Do not set your eyes on another persons belongings is really simple as you the Adam = human (nothing denotes that human as specifically a male other than your erroneous precepts. It hinders you from moving in the spirit beyond the carnality of flesh)
Sorry. Nope. You're the one trying to redefine, and reinterpret אָדָם "Adam", man, which could be translated as "mankind", until you consider that אָדָם is used, in this case, as direct contrast to אִשָּׁה "Eve", woman. When understood in this context, it is clear that ADAM was not meant as "mankind", but specifically MAN, to distinguish him from WOMAN who was created from a lesser part of MAN, again placing her as lesser than the original.

Those male female precepts came from those without. Why long for something that belongs to another human as it may prevent you or entice you into breaking another commandment like don't be stealing or lying?
Even here you are implying that a man's wife belongs to him. All you're doing is reinforcing the idea that, in biblical terns, a woman is property.

Why should I need to do that, when we have her actions, and the clear biblical perception of a woman's "place" to find the obvious answer? You would prefer that rather than e mploying the light of reason, that I crawl into the darkness of irrational faith to "find my answers". Thanks anyway. I'll stick to the light. But thank you, again, for demonstrating the harm that religion in general, and Christianity in particular, does - encouraging wilful ignorance over reason, and logic.
Chavah whom you call Eve since you haven't searched it fully or completely is a part of each human taken from a riyb 'a side chamber within the human where contention exist'. She is there to teach you how to breath life. That is a spiritual host of the human instilled from the factory when it receives breath that made it a living soul. Again you missed and you still do not know where breath of life is as you are way too carnally minded to consider it or search for it in truth. You are too busy making up your own scenario living in your carnal mind where all is pride and vanity and you are setting a perfect example of it.

Jewish teaching offers a different option. Eve came from Adam's side because originally male and female were one (side-by-side). Later the two sexes were separated, becoming male and female.

Czernobog, My husband said send you this song as he believes it may fit. He said for you to, "Use it for fuel to burn in your vanity furnace while plugging on behalf of your own pride".

Galatians 3:28

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:28

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
So, if there are no "bond" then why did he tell slaves to obey their masters in Ephesians?Why did he tell women to submit to their husbands? Clearly the writer recognised there are slaves, and that women are considered in a different light then men. More inconsistencies, and ambiguities from the book of mythology that you allow to rule your lives.

Your own attempts to reconcile the different inconsistencies in the rules set up by this book demonstrate exactly the harm to which I was referring in my OP. Thank you ever so much more demonstrating it for us.

So, if there are no "bond" then why did he tell slaves to obey their masters in Ephesians?Why did he tell women to submit to their husbands? Clearly the writer recognised there are slaves, and that women are considered in a different light then men. More inconsistencies, and ambiguities from the book of mythology that you allow to rule your lives.

First of all, slavery in biblical times was not the type of slavery that you have in mind. It was a way for people to get themselves out of debt, so it was more like an indentured servant. That is not what God wants for anyone, but it is simply part of society, since we live in a fallen world. The Bible often deals with the reality of this fallen world, but that does not mean that God approves of everything that happens, it is simply the current reality.

In God's eyes, which is the only thing that matters, we are all equal, we all have equal value, God loves all of us… As the scripture I posted says, there is no Jew or Greek, male or female, slave or free, we are all one in Christ.

New Topics

Forum List

Back