The best argument for keeping the death penalty

Death can put the end to many problems - poverty, obesity, weird political views - you name it. But that's not a principle we pride ourselves in promoting in this country.

Nor does any civilized country on the planet.
Ever heard of WAR? Plenty of civilizations have engaged in it, it's organized mass murder. Don't be naive. Abortion is a form of murder. So is euthanasia. Life is complicated. So, what's the problem with killing a person that has committed egregious horrific crimes? It's fitting.
I don't see how killing Americans is a proper function of the American government. That's over the line.
I'm surprised at how many conserva-tarians, so distrustful of government, trust the government with the power of life and death.

The jury makes that decision, not the government. Try to keep up.
The legistators make the laws that govern sentencing parameters. Fail again.

And are subject to the court per my previous link.

Try again failboy

Ever heard of WAR? Plenty of civilizations have engaged in it, it's organized mass murder. Don't be naive. Abortion is a form of murder. So is euthanasia. Life is complicated. So, what's the problem with killing a person that has committed egregious horrific crimes? It's fitting.
I don't see how killing Americans is a proper function of the American government. That's over the line.
I'm surprised at how many conserva-tarians, so distrustful of government, trust the government with the power of life and death.

Try again failboy
The courts can't make legislators enact capital punishment, you poor, dumb son of a bitch.

Murder is a state crime and is punishable by the states however they see fit.
Not if killing prisoners is deemed cruel and unusual punishment, which is prohibited everywhere in US jurisdiction. Since we're one of a just a handful of nations that still practice this medieval form of revenge, I expect such a ruling in our near future.
The death penalty was well in practice in all states when the Constitution is ratified. As much as I want capital punishment to end, I don't want the Supreme Court to keep asserting its opinion over 330 million Americans well outside its constitutional boundaries.

See? Now you're making me defend the other side!
You're not defending anything. You're expressing a general point of view and applying it to this discussion. My point of view differs in that I see capital punishment as cruel and unusual punishment. If it takes the Supreme Court to make it official, sobeit.

A lot of things have changed for the better since the Bill of Rights was written. No more slavery. No more racial or sexual restrictions on voting or marriage. No more racial segregation. No more poll taxes. Establishment of Due Process. Lots of things that were common then are not acceptable now and that has been written into law to preserve our rights under the law.

The constitution seldom changes, but society does and the way that our constitution applies to our daily lives changes with it. Things that used to be tolerated no longer are, and for good reason.

There were no sexual restrictions on government marriage.

There is not a single State or Federal law that mandates sexual contact as a requirement of a valid marriage.

Try again failboy
The courts can't make legislators enact capital punishment, you poor, dumb son of a bitch.

That's quite a deflection you have there.

Capital punishment is the prime example of Big Government run amok. How can any freedom-loving American abide uniformed government employees ritualistically killing a restrained prisoner?

The guilty piece of shit that deserves the death penalty wasn't restrained when he/she did to earn it. Restraining them AFTER what they did is only to protect the innocent from being victimized again.

To be honest I don't believe in death penalty except in wartime.
We use death penalty here for a bunch of crimes but crime is still alive... :cry:
That tells me those getting the death penalty are too stupid to learn not to do what they did.

Forum List

Back