The best argument for keeping the death penalty

God would have the power to stop any of them, would he not? Again, he knows the time we all will be born, and the time we all die. Man does not have the power to change that. Or so I've been taught.
Free will. We have the God-given right to fuck up, royally. Some of us would like to keep that to a minimum.

And letting Monsters a minimum chance to rape and murder innocent children is the ultimate fuck up.
"And letting..." That's it right there. The sheer arrogance of that statement is astounding.

Astounding are those that would allow a child rapist even the smallest chance to do so again.

When rape and or murder happen by escaped or released murderers, the blood of the innocent is on your hands.
The blood would be on the hands of whomever released them or allowed them to escape.

Focus.

Which is you and those fighting the death penalty for those who commit child rape and murder.

Own it, it's all yours

God would have the power to stop any of them, would he not? Again, he knows the time we all will be born, and the time we all die. Man does not have the power to change that. Or so I've been taught.
Free will. We have the God-given right to fuck up, royally. Some of us would like to keep that to a minimum.

And letting Monsters a minimum chance to rape and murder innocent children is the ultimate fuck up.
"And letting..." That's it right there. The sheer arrogance of that statement is astounding.

Astounding are those that would allow a child rapist even the smallest chance to do so again.

When rape and or murder happen by escaped or released murderers, the blood of the innocent is on your hands.
Who's promoting that? I made myself clear that all who bugger kids should be locked up forever. Are you just resorting to lies now, all else failing?

Who's promoting that? I made myself clear that all who bugger kids should be locked up forever. Are you just resorting to lies now, all else failing?

You have no control how long they are locked up, that's up to the courts.

Change political parties and the sentences often change as well.

Actually it's up to the legislators.

You're failing at every turn.

The blood would be on the hands of whomever released them or allowed them to escape.

Focus.

Which is you and those fighting the death penalty for those who commit child rape and murder.

Own it, it's all yours
You've gone beyond the pale with that argument. You probably also give the liquor store robber a pass because it's society that's really responsible, not the guy who did the deed.

Or your views are inconsistent, as one would expect from someone with your political bent. It's all about your feelings, as usual.

Everyone says: The death penalty is no deterrent. True, but what IS? By inference, we get rid of all laws? Nothing stops a criminal like being put to death. As a measured response, I don't have a problem with it. It's like abortion or euthanasia. Let's not get carried away or forget our humanity, either.

Everyone says: The death penalty is no deterrent. True, but what IS? By inference, we get rid of all laws? Nothing stops a criminal like being put to death. As a measured response, I don't have a problem with it. It's like abortion or euthanasia. Let's not get carried away or forget our humanity, either.
Death can put the end to many problems - poverty, obesity, weird political views - you name it. But that's not a principle we pride ourselves in promoting in this country.

Nor does any civilized country on the planet.

Death can put the end to many problems - poverty, obesity, weird political views - you name it. But that's not a principle we pride ourselves in promoting in this country.

Ever heard of WAR? Plenty of civilizations have engaged in it, it's organized mass murder. Don't be naive. Abortion is a form of murder. So is euthanasia. Life is complicated. So, what's the problem with killing a person that has committed egregious horrific crimes? It's fitting.

Ever heard of WAR? Plenty of civilizations have engaged in it, it's organized mass murder. Don't be naive. Abortion is a form of murder. So is euthanasia. Life is complicated. So, what's the problem with killing a person that has committed egregious horrific crimes? It's fitting.
I don't see how killing Americans is a proper function of the American government. That's over the line.

I don't see how killing Americans is a proper function of the American government. That's over the line.
I'm surprised at how many conserva-tarians, so distrustful of government, trust the government with the power of life and death.

I'm surprised at how many conserva-tarians, so distrustful of government, trust the government with the power of life and death.
I agree. Deliberately and ritualistically killing restrained prisoners is the ultimate exercise of Big Government. That needs to be reined in.

Luckily, that's within the purview of SCOTUS so we can be confident that this will change before much longer. The Court will do its job and uphold the constitution, limiting the power of government to trample our rights.

I agree. Deliberately and ritualistically killing restrained prisoners is the ultimate exercise of Big Government. That needs to be reined in.

Luckily, that's within the purview of SCOTUS so we can be confident that this will change before much longer. The Court will do its job and uphold the constitution, limiting the power of government to trample our rights.
I hope not. The Supreme Court has limitations on its constitutional authority, something we've lost sight of. Murder is a state crime and is punishable by the states however they see fit. If change comes, it has to come from the states. Texas will likely be the last holdout before all 50 states outgrow this barbaric practice.

Murder is a state crime and is punishable by the states however they see fit.
Not if killing prisoners is deemed cruel and unusual punishment, which is prohibited everywhere in US jurisdiction. Since we're one of a just a handful of nations that still practice this medieval form of revenge, I expect such a ruling in our near future.

Not if killing prisoners is deemed cruel and unusual punishment, which is prohibited everywhere in US jurisdiction. Since we're one of a just a handful of nations that still practice this medieval form of revenge, I expect such a ruling in our near future.
The death penalty was well in practice in all states when the Constitution is ratified. As much as I want capital punishment to end, I don't want the Supreme Court to keep asserting its opinion over 330 million Americans well outside its constitutional boundaries.

See? Now you're making me defend the other side!

Actually it's up to the legislators.

You're failing at every turn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch....n-in-1994-salinas-triple-murder?client=safari

Really?

Want more? There's hundreds

Gee that was easy.

The jury makes that decision, not the government. Try to keep up.

The jury makes that decision, not the government. Try to keep up.
The legistators make the laws that govern sentencing parameters. Fail again.

The death penalty was well in practice in all states when the Constitution is ratified. As much as I want capital punishment to end, I don't want the Supreme Court to keep asserting its opinion over 330 million Americans well outside its constitutional boundaries.

You're not defending anything. You're expressing a general point of view and applying it to this discussion. My point of view differs in that I see capital punishment as cruel and unusual punishment. If it takes the Supreme Court to make it official, sobeit.

A lot of things have changed for the better since the Bill of Rights was written. No more slavery. No more racial or sexual restrictions on voting or marriage. No more racial segregation. No more poll taxes. Establishment of Due Process. Lots of things that were common then are not acceptable now and that has been written into law to preserve our rights under the law.

The constitution seldom changes, but society does and the way that our constitution applies to our daily lives changes with it. Things that used to be tolerated no longer are, and for good reason.

You're not defending anything. You're expressing a general point of view and applying it to this discussion. My point of view differs in that I see capital punishment as cruel and unusual punishment. If it takes the Supreme Court to make it official, sobeit.

A lot of things have changed for the better since the Bill of Rights was written. No more slavery. No more racial or sexual restrictions on voting or marriage. No more racial segregation. No more poll taxes. Establishment of Due Process. Lots of things that were common then are not acceptable now and that has been written into law to preserve our rights under the law.

The constitution seldom changes, but society does and the way that our constitution applies to our daily lives changes with it. Things that used to be tolerated no longer are, and for good reason.
It's like gay marriage. Give people a chance to evolve, don't bludgeon them over the head with it or eventually they will overthrow the government.

Many states have made capital punishment illegal. And if we stay on message, others will too. Nobody likes to be force and the use of force produces unpredictable results. But people can be persuaded if we are good ambassadors of the culture of life.

Forum List

Back