The Ant and the Grasshopper

I think of Ellis Island and the immigrants (my ancestors) that came over here for the American Dream. They worked their butts off, bought houses and provided a good living for their families. If they needed to work two or even three jobs they did. They didn't come here to live off the government. Good bosses appreciate hard workers and they are paid respectively.

I know many Italian and Irish immigrant families that are living quite comfortably and did so all by themselves. Not by beating up their fellow man because he made more than they did.

This entitlement generation makes me sick to my stomach.

The little red hen is a perfect example of what's going on today, no one wants to help but everyone wants to reap the rewards. I've asked this before and I'll ask again............why is it easier and more comfortable to earn 0 dollars than it is to work to make it. Pride and diligence are still important to some, albeit the number is growing smaller with each government hand out.

Those immigrants were the Mexicans of their generation

They were looked at as vermin. Uneducated, criminals, overbreeding.......stealing jobs from "real Americans"

They were left to live in squalor scraping together whatever food they could.

Someone had this in their tagline:

A Liberal, a CEO and a Conservative walk in to a room with 10 cookies on the plate. The CEO grabs 9 cookies and tells the Conservative, "That Liberal wants your cookie!".

:clap2:

I think of Ellis Island and the immigrants (my ancestors) that came over here for the American Dream. They worked their butts off, bought houses and provided a good living for their families. If they needed to work two or even three jobs they did. They didn't come here to live off the government. Good bosses appreciate hard workers and they are paid respectively.

I know many Italian and Irish immigrant families that are living quite comfortably and did so all by themselves. Not by beating up their fellow man because he made more than they did.

The little red hen is a perfect example of what's going on today, no one wants to help but everyone wants to reap the rewards. I've asked this before and I'll ask again............why is it easier and more comfortable to earn 0 dollars than it is to work to make it. Pride and diligence are still important to some, albeit the number is growing smaller with each government hand out.

They were looked at as vermin. Uneducated, criminals, overbreeding.......stealing jobs from "real Americans"

I have no problem with LEGAL Mexican immigrants, it's the illegal ones that upset me. :doubt:

Yes, they over came adversity without telling their children and grand children they were "owed" something by the people that persecuted them. They pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and made something of their lives by working hard and believing in themselves. They had the audacity to live the American Dream without much help from their anti-immigrant peers.

Class Warfare and Race-Baiting Division are proven winners for the Democratic Party. It's all about the 'Divide & Conquer.' They do it simply because it works. It's all in Saul Alinsky's 'Rules for Radicals.' An effective Community Organizer is one who is always stirring up bitterness & envy. The Sheople really do eat it up. Anyway, this is a great post. 'Post of the Year' Nominee for sure.

I have no problem with LEGAL Mexican immigrants, it's the illegal ones that upset me. :doubt:

Yes, they over came adversity without telling their children and grand children they were "owed" something by the people that persecuted them. They pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and made something of their lives by working hard and believing in themselves. They had the audacity to live the American Dream without much help from their anti-immigrant peers.

It's always fun to compare the America of today with the America of 100 years ago. There is always so much romance for those golden years of our forefathers

The fact is, our forefathers would have been much better off with the social safety net provided today. Better housing, workplace safety standards, child labor laws, assurance that your family would be fed every day, medical care

The "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps" means they suffered. It means they died early deaths, their children did not survive childhood, they worked horrendous hours for meager pay.......and nobody cared. They were just immigrants

But they were still better off than where they came from. In Europe, they were peasants and had little hope of improving their financial status. But even Europe has understood the need to take care of it's citizens and provide basic needs

The tendency of conservatives to hold up 19th century America as some sort of social ideal is laughable

Class Warfare and Race-Baiting Division are proven winners for the Democratic Party. It's all about the 'Divide & Conquer.' They do it simply because it works. It's all in Saul Alinsky's 'Rules for Radicals.' An effective Community Organizer is one who is always stirring up bitterness & envy. The Sheople really do eat it up. Anyway, this is a great post. 'Post of the Year' Nominee for sure.

Pauli want a cracker?

Government handouts aren't the problem. Why people NEED government handouts are.

Worker pay has STAGNATED since 1980 while CEO pay skyrockets.

ceo-pay-has-skyrocketed-300-since-1990-corporate-profits-have-doubled-average-production-worker-pay-has-increased-4-the-minimum-wage-has-dropped-all-numbers-adjusted-for-inflation.jpg

ceo_pay_600.gif

Boy, do I feel sorry for all those CEO's who's pay has MULTIPLIED compared to their workers wages, who have to pay all those taxes to support the people they don't pay enough to live on.

Boo hoo for them.
Take a look at the Walton family.
They whine about their high taxes, but don't pay their workers squat.
Well, if you paid your workers more, they wouldn't have to take government handouts would they?

Where's THEIR pride? Where's THEIR loyalty?
In their bank accounts and no where else.

It's always fun to compare the America of today with the America of 100 years ago. There is always so much romance for those golden years of our forefathers

The fact is, our forefathers would have been much better off with the social safety net provided today. Better housing, workplace safety standards, child labor laws, assurance that your family would be fed every day, medical care

The "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps" means they suffered. It means they died early deaths, their children did not survive childhood, they worked horrendous hours for meager pay.......and nobody cared. They were just immigrants

But they were still better off than where they came from. In Europe, they were peasants and had little hope of improving their financial status. But even Europe has understood the need to take care of it's citizens and provide basic needs

The tendency of conservatives to hold up 19th century America as some sort of social ideal is laughable

A working man is a working man, even 100 years ago and today. If you work hard, keep your nose clean and don't expect anyone to take care of you but you, you can make it. I never wanted to be rich, I have no wealth envy. I always wanted to get up and earn everything I have. Even when I was a single mom with two young children. Yea, there were some rough times, but my kids thought I cooked macaroni and cheese with hot dogs 4 days a week because they liked it. :lol:

I made it, it worked and I have lived a good fulfilling life. My children are hard working successful adults with kids of their own. Working, volunteering with scouts for 25 years and raising my family has been worth every waking moment.

Pauli want a cracker?

Pauli want's his own cracker. Let's try to be more distinct.

A working man is a working man, even 100 years ago and today. If you work hard, keep your nose clean and don't expect anyone to take care of you but you, you can make it. I never wanted to be rich, I have no wealth envy. I always wanted to get up and earn everything I have. Even when I was a single mom with two young children. Yea, there were some rough times, but my kids thought I cooked macaroni and cheese with hot dogs 4 days a week because they liked it. :lol:

I made it, it worked and I have lived a good fulfilling life. My children are hard working successful adults with kids of their own. Working, volunteering with scouts for 25 years and raising my family has been worth every waking moment.

I totally agree, NatureGirl. Me too. My mother raised my sis and I in the 1950s when single parenting was NOT the norm. This was after divorcing our abusive father. We never qualified for any handouts. She worked full time Mon through Fri, moonlighted teaching business courses at the community college at night, then worked on Saturdays, too. She instilled the work ethic in us. Unless we were rendered quadriplegic, severely brain damaged we were raised to be self-reliant. She was raised in Western Kansas, parents were farmers, who were married in 1915, she born in 1919. This was NOT a good time for farming in the Midwest, totally dependent on the weather, which was not good. When the Depression hit, they did NOT receive "relief" from the government. My grandmother then moved to Washington just before WWII and raised all of her own fruits and vegetables and lived a good life. she had been a school teacher before marriage and so taught us kids to read before we ever hit kindergarten. I raised my daughter the same. I used to tell her that the fastest way to poverty and maybe living on the streets was to not graduate from high school. She took my advice.

I firmly believe that from the very beginning of a child's school they should be taught that depending on the government (other than Social Security which we PAY into) is NOT an option. We were also taught that there will be people who have more expensive things than us, but so what, they are not any happier. Nothing wrong with an honest job well done.

Government handouts aren't the problem. Why people NEED government handouts are.

Worker pay has STAGNATED since 1980 while CEO pay skyrockets.

ceo-pay-has-skyrocketed-300-since-1990-corporate-profits-have-doubled-average-production-worker-pay-has-increased-4-the-minimum-wage-has-dropped-all-numbers-adjusted-for-inflation.jpg

ceo_pay_600.gif

Boy, do I feel sorry for all those CEO's who's pay has MULTIPLIED compared to their workers wages, who have to pay all those taxes to support the people they don't pay enough to live on.

Boo hoo for them.
Take a look at the Walton family.
They whine about their high taxes, but don't pay their workers squat.
Well, if you paid your workers more, they wouldn't have to take government handouts would they?

Where's THEIR pride? Where's THEIR loyalty?
In their bank accounts and no where else.

At WalMart they offer incentives to advance one's self. If you come to WalMart with barely a high school diploma and are not willing to work hard and learn, what do you expect? If you don't want to work at WalMart go to school to obtain training for something that pays more. It's that simple.

Try working for a medical transcription company where the owner gets six figures and knows NOTHING about the work the "worker bees" do -- where they set the requirements for production with no incentives for producing more. Where management in these companies defies all rules for good managers: that being, you should be able to do the work of those you are managing. They do not. I am in QC now so am paid hourly. but still, the owners of these companies know NOTHING about what we do. At WalMart the managers can step in and at least do the work of the workers. Because it is the workers below top level management that are bringing in the revenue. But - I COULD go on to college and get my degree and become a manager OR start my own little business, which I have done, and which is a pain in the butt actually, or I could just be happy that I have a job which pays decent money, I have my health and a wonderful marriage and happily married daughter. Life is good.

I agree to a point about CEOs being over paid especially in businesses where they themselves are not rolling up their sleeves and working.

In a physician's office, however, it is the physician who is the money maker. It is HE/SHE who the people are coming to, for it is his/her expertise they are seeking, not the RNs or receptionist's. So naturally the doctor will be taking home more. but in my experience in a doctor's office, they are generous with benefits as far as profit sharing and stock options. I worked for an orthopedic surgeon one time in the early 1980s, I transcribed super part time, he was just starting out. At Christmas he gave me four 100-dollar bills!! the company I work for now didn't have the decency to even say "thanks for all your hard work" at Christmas, never mind a bonus, not even "Happy Holidays!"

Last edited:
Self reliance?? What the hell is that??

Shit we have a generation of folks in this country who thinks the Govt is her to take care of them. They have no problem sucking up every dime they can from the Govt. Of course its someone elses hardearned tax dollar but what the hey. Free money is free money in their book.

They have no incentive to go out and earn a living. Why should they when the Govt is gonna give em someone elses money??

Things sure have changed in this country. Pretty soon the takers will outnumber the providers.

That will be a fun time for sure.

Shit we have a generation of folks in this country who thinks the Govt is her to take care of them. They have no problem sucking up every dime they can from the Govt. Of course its someone elses hardearned tax dollar but what the hey. Free money is free money in their book.

They have no incentive to go out and earn a living. Why should they when the Govt is gonna give em someone elses money??

Things sure have changed in this country. Pretty soon the takers will outnumber the providers.

where is this generation you speak of? all in your head and on your sensationalized news programs that you feed off of like a sheep from a farmer's hand.

Yeah, the Takers will outnumber the Producers at some point. And that's when we will officially become a Third World Nation.

Forum List

Back