Zone1 the 2 fallacies in saying : All Scripture is inspired by God not sinful men

Or...it gives them a leg up on their own studies and adventures. It does happen that way as well.
THis is a great fallacy because it does not separate what you do from why

1712744543724.png

Mormons believe Jesus is the son of God, so what is the problem with some new additions to scripture. Recall your Augustine quote.
NO, false, Demons believed and believe Jesus is the Son of God;,that is a stupid stupid argument for you to make

There is a very common saying whose import escapes you
"The Devil will tell you 100 truths so he can tell you one lie."

All the Creeds were made against your view, namely a Creed is your Faith put in terms of what matters. Augustine completely disses your approach
In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity,”

There is nothing more serious than the sacrilege of schism because there is no just cause for severing the unity of the Church.
Saint Augustine

NO, false, Demons believed and believe Jesus is the Son of God;,that is a stupid stupid argument for you to make

There is a very common saying whose import escapes you
"The Devil will tell you 100 truths so he can tell you one lie."

All the Creeds were made against your view, namely a Creed is your Faith put in terms of what matters. Augustine completely disses your approach
In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity,”

There is nothing more serious than the sacrilege of schism because there is no just cause for severing the unity of the Church.
Saint Augustine
I think the "unity of the Church" argument has proven to be imaginary as there was NEVER a unified church. The question remains, how do you know Joseph Smith was not a prophet like the others before him?

Yes, and it is a worldwide failure for that reason.
HIllary Clinton calls herself a good Methodist but doesn't say homosesxual acts are perverted or abortion is taking a life.
John Wesley would vomit on her

Yes. John Wesley would encourage a homosexual to marry a woman and have children.

I think the "unity of the Church" argument has proven to be imaginary as there was NEVER a unified church. The question remains, how do you know Joseph Smith was not a prophet like the others before him?
ONe smeantic blunder and two logic blunders

1)Even if there were never unity that would explain the need to not further fracture thigns !!! Of course you have the Fundamentalist view that either everything is Creedal, unquestionable and part of the Faith or nothng is. A silly view

2) By your own reasoning if someone came after Joseph Smith and contradicted him you would have the same question !!!!
Galatians 1:8 you can buy it or not but you can't deny how definite it is on your topic
"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!"

3) WHY WHY WHY do I even have to give a shit about Jospeh Smith is as JEsus says Jesus has the words of eternal life.
You have to reject Jesus to accept Joseph Smith ---and we have now a modern intelligent holy woman ex-Mormon ,who became Catholic and is up for canonization, Cora Evans. She has the perfect argument

I came back to add one thing I notice about you : Everything is theoretical cocktail chatter with you. ARe you Mormon, Are you looking, Is the answer important to you? OR ARE YOU JUST STIRRING THE POT

That so happens to be exactly what the Catholic church has done. They've granted their faithful the permission to believe that Genesis is not a literally correct story and that it has a deeper meaning than it being the truth from the god.

There's no more faithful catholic than our Ding! He has unequivocally rejected many of the bible stories!
And you are a cowardly fool hiding behind him, Donald

ONe smeantic blunder and two logic blunders

1)Even if there were never unity that would explain the need to not further fracture thigns !!! Of course you have the Fundamentalist view that either everything is Creedal, unquestionable and part of the Faith or nothng is. A silly view
Your logic is that, although God is perfect, nothing he has created is perfect, but that is not his fault, it is always someone else's fault.

2) By your own reasoning if someone came after Joseph Smith and contradicted him you would have the same question !!!!
Galatians 1:8 you can buy it or not but you can't deny how definite it is on your topic
"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!"
There are plenty of lines like that in the OT too. Do these apply only to LDS or to the NT of to... It wouldn't surprise me if Smith said the same thing. Your error is trying to use logic to justify your faith. Impossible to do.

3) WHY WHY WHY do I even have to give a shit about Jospeh Smith is as JEsus says Jesus has the words of eternal life.
You have to reject Jesus to accept Joseph Smith ---and we have now a modern intelligent holy woman ex-Mormon ,who became Catholic and is up for canonization, Cora Evans. She has the perfect argument
Mormons would disagree. They'd claim to accept Jesus is to accept Smith.

I came back to add one thing I notice about you : Everything is theoretical cocktail chatter with you. ARe you Mormon, Are you looking, Is the answer important to you? OR ARE YOU JUST STIRRING THE POT
I'm currently not a believer in anything supernatural but I'm always eager to learn what others believe.

Your logic is that, although God is perfect, nothing he has created is perfect, but that is not his fault, it is always someone else's fault.

There are plenty of lines like that in the OT too. Do these apply only to LDS or to the NT of to... It wouldn't surprise me if Smith said the same thing. Your error is trying to use logic to justify your faith. Impossible to do.

Mormons would disagree. They'd claim to accept Jesus is to accept Smith.

I'm currently not a believer in anything supernatural but I'm always eager to learn what others believe.
Actually 3 of these mis-state in the totally OPPOSITE direction.

Pay attention:
"So for instance, there is a divine idea of Socrates and Socrates cannot be any more or less like the divine idea of Socrates, for then Socrates would be more or less like Socrates. Thus each person has an "ontological dignity," since we are exactly the way God intended us to be. We are of course a deficient likeness of God's nature, but not of his divine idea of us." WE ARE PERFECTLY WHAT GOD INTENDED. you take the opposite approach,which is STUPID. God did not intend perfection as you "see" it. --and if you think about it for once, YOU would not be here under your view of perfection, cuz you aint perfect by a sht mile

You read Genesis literally?
I have translated the entire Genesis from Greek (LXX) and from Hebrew,and down some work on the Targums and Vulgate
I read it by GENRE as any sane adult Bible lover and Christian should do.

YOu have a history of stupid childish non-replies given in a smug "don't I have a way with words" way that makes you a laughingstock
IT does :)
Laugh as much as you choose , it is irrelevant to me . But I love laughter .
Perhaps I feel smug for good reason, particularly when I see a silly Topic like yours which only a personal appeareance by Goddy Boy could settle .
And he is far too lazy for that .
You Cultists do tend to get upset when others do not take your delusions seriously .
Now off you go and read some more holy scribble

Laugh as much as you choose , it is irrelevant to me . But I love laughter .
Perhaps I feel smug for good reason, particularly when I see a silly Topic like yours which only a personal appeareance by Goddy Boy could settle .
And he is far too lazy for that .
You Cultists do tend to get upset when others do not take your delusions seriously .
Now off you go and read some more holy scribble
To wit: The stupid reply :) See above

I have translated the entire Genesis from Greek (LXX) and from Hebrew,and down some work on the Targums and Vulgate
I read it by GENRE as any sane adult Bible lover and Christian should do.

What genre do you call Genesis?

Yes, and it is a worldwide failure for that reason.
HIllary Clinton calls herself a good Methodist but doesn't say homosesxual acts are perverted or abortion is taking a life.
John Wesley would vomit on her

The Bible is opposed to sexual violence as illustrated in the myth about Sodom and Gomorrah.

The authors of the Hebrew creation narrative borrowed themes from Mesopotamian mythology, but adapted them to their unique belief in one God.

The first major comprehensive draft of the Pentateuch (the series of five books which begins with Genesis and ends with Deuteronomy) is thought to have been composed in the late 7th or the 6th century BCE (the Jahwist source) and was later expanded by other authors (the Priestly source) into a work very like Genesis as known today.

The two sources can be identified in the creation narrative: Priestly and Jahwistic. The combined narrative is a critique of the Mesopotamian theology of creation: Genesis affirms monotheism and denies polytheism. Robert Alter described the combined narrative as "compelling in its archetypal character, its adaptation of myth to monotheistic ends".

What genre do you call Genesis?
Well, of necessity you have to call GEn 1-3 myth but the word has two meanings and one is unacceptable. Let me illustrate it from Plato

"
Pieper’s special concern is with the eschatological myths found in Phaedo, Gorgias, and Republic, in each of which Plato concludes an ambitious and probing philosophical discussion by presenting a myth about “the last things”: death, judgment, and divinity. All three myths include what Pieper takes to be the essential marks of myth: they are narrative, they are part of a tradition that has been passed down rather than being the invention of the narrator (Socrates says in each case that he has ‘heard’ the story he is about to tell), and they concern the relationship between humanity and divinity. Myth is thus closely connected to religion and sacred tradition. The basic conceptual contents of these myths are, in Pieper’s words, “the idea that all being proceeds from the ungrudging goodness of the Creator; the occurrence of primeval guilt and punishment; [and] judgment on the other side of death”.

The central claim that Pieper makes for these myths is that they should be taken straight: they are included because Plato considered them to be bearers of important truths. By including these myths in his dialogues, Pieper believes Plato is saying that the most deeply human things are rooted not finally in politics or in the intellect, but are linked to ‘the beyond’ and the unknowable, and find their fulfillment only there. This realm, in which there is an interchange between the human and the divine, is beyond our experience, inaccessible to our imagination, and even, except through metaphor and imagery, beyond language, which is why philosophical inquiry alone cannot reach it. Yet this reality, which is in one sense beyond philosophy, is in another sense a part of it, because philosophy moves us toward it. Sacred myth, in other words, is a part, and a legitimate part, of the philosophical project broadly considered.""

So no human was present to report and they could not have anyway since things like creation ex nihilo are not imaginable. It is all true but not imaginalbe so it is brought down to our level

I would take on Goddy Boy any time if he existed .
He has yet to win a fight and is full of bluster and Bull Shit .

Lucifer , Prince of Light, had the right idea .Told the silly old man to grow up and try and do things properly .And ever since has had a lovely time .
YOu are a fool.

Is the opposite also true? Can you be in the wrong religion and still go heaven?
You are to do your best to investigate,act on conscience, pray and then act in the awareness that you need God's help.
You can't knowingly be in the wrong religion and go to Heaven but is that your real question?
Obviously to remain in the dark is a moral failing if it is only because of you that you are in the dark.

Interesting, but it only seems to apply to the OT. Is the NT not the work of God too? You'd think it too would have embedded codes since they were important enough to put in the OT.
I think you look first at the general obvious and unmistakeable teaching before looking for secret special knowledge that implies God is tryint to trick you.

somebody once asked St Jerome about the value of reading the apocryphal Gospels and he said "One should always look in the pantry for food before looking for it in the garbage" that is my view also

So Protestants are not true Christians?

Wouldn't it be a case of hating the sin but loving the gay sinner? As for abortion, we take human life all the time. Did the US sin when we dropped the bombs on Japan? Lot's of children and babies died because of us.
So are you saying it was good to drop bombs on Japan????????? IF not then you are arguing AGAINST abortion
And you seem to miss the connection: IF a mother can kill her baby all other evils are excused by the existence of that horror.

Forum List

Back