Texas school board to rewrite history

If you start publicly agreeing that "science is a good thing", you will lose all credibility in conservative circles.
Dean....as i and a hundred others have told you here.....if you would look at this unbiasedly,you would see that many Conservatives think science is just fine....you base your whole assumption on the evolution vs creation thing.....its just they,the Christian Right, believe in something you dont...even many of the hard core Christian right have no qualms about learning about all the other aspects of science.....

And we had to do the Civil War in order to end slavery.

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Nothing worse than an arrogant liberal holding up acadamia and college professors voting habits as some paragon of success. College professors largely failed in the private sector and slinked back to campus, joined a union and begged for tenure liberal failures. Its the students that took their degrees and made successful careers to become productive members of society that merit recognition are successful and likely conservative. Its also funny how the libs here suggest that the children of conservatives will work for them when its liberal children filling up the bedmaking and dishwasher unions that made up the coalition getting the messiah elected. Delusional MF'ers really, of grandeur I might add LOL

And libs also like to squeal about the seperation of church and state as if its some mandate to scrub religious ideals from our society. Well heres a fucking clue, we are a huge voting block and will elect leaders that support our cause and legislate our ideals. This is the same as the liberals who elected butchers that think its OK to slaughter billions children with hangers.

Native Americans were conquered by the Europeans. Manifest destiny, sorry about that. They were lucky it was us.

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

That doesn't prove what you think it proves. The South surrendered unconditionally.

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

No, Contumacious, you do not get to revise history inacurrately. The comment was not about Lincoln's intent, but the fact that the Civil War was required to end slavery. Stay within the boundaries of sanity, please.

Nothing worse than an arrogant liberal holding up acadamia and college professors voting habits as some paragon of success. College professors largely failed in the private sector and slinked back to campus, joined a union and begged for tenure liberal failures. Its the students that took their degrees and made successful careers to become productive members of society that merit recognition are successful and likely conservative. Its also funny how the libs here suggest that the children of conservatives will work for them when its liberal children filling up the bedmaking and dishwasher unions that made up the coalition getting the messiah elected. Delusional MF'ers really, of grandeur I might add LOL

And libs also like to squeal about the seperation of church and state as if its some mandate to scrub religious ideals from our society. Well heres a fucking clue, we are a huge voting block and will elect leaders that support our cause and legislate our ideals. This is the same as the liberals who elected butchers that think its OK to slaughter billions children with hangers.

Native Americans were conquered by the Europeans. Manifest destiny, sorry about that. They were lucky it was us.

SoleSurvivor makes an opinion that is stupid on the face of it without evidence. The influence of the far right Christian political wing reached highwater in 2004, began receding in 2008, and will continue to recede into the dust of history as their numbers continue per capital to decrease. And as horrible as the experience of assimilation was in Spanish speaking America, they did a far better job of creating a place for the Native American than have those from British heritage.

Last edited:
Hmm, ever think that its not being skewed at all, its just that reality is more liberal. It's absurd to change history to suit politics, what a stupid stupid move IMO, but it is Texas,.

You do realize that you can't actually change history, right? And reality is neither liberal nor conservative. It's just reality.

Way to recede into the dust, huh?

This is something we centrist and right of conservative GOPers have been dealing with in the South since 1968: the movement of racist and religious whackos into our ranks. We will be dealing with this long after the rest of the country stops laughing.

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

No, Contumacious, you do not get to revise history inacurrately. The comment was not about Lincoln's intent, but the fact that the Civil War was required to end slavery. Stay within the boundaries of sanity, please.

I'm pretty sure real history, not the watered down stuff we learn in primary school, is the Civil War wasn't started to end slavery

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

I'm pretty sure real history, not the watered down stuff we learn in primary school, is the Civil War wasn't started to end slavery

Of course it wasn't started to end it, it was started by the South to preserve it as the foundation of their civilization. Northern victory mean automatic end of the institution.

So the lesson is that we should not think of the Republican party, when conservatives, as they often do, refer to it as the party of Lincoln,

as having anything to do with freeing the slaves, but rather as the party that shed blood to enforce big central government,

and the states and their silly 'rights' be damned!!??

SoleSurvivor makes an opinion that is stupid on the face of it without evidence. The influence of the far right Christian political wing reached highwater in 2004, began receding in 2008, and will continue to recede into the dust of history as their numbers continue per capital to decrease. And as horrible as the experience of assimilation was in Spanish speaking America, they did a far better job of creating a place for the Native American than have those from British heritage.

LOL, highwater in 2004, convienent for your argument that. Dont think the religious right is going anywhere soon. 2012 looms

The Europeans did a far better job in Mexico eh. Thats why their all risking life and limb to get here. give it a rest your so fucking biased you cant think straight

Oh and I dont provide evidence, educate your self

Bullshit.

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Read the terms of Secession for all 11 Southern states. They seemed to think it was about slavery.

Of course it wasn't started to end it, it was started by the South to preserve it as the foundation of their civilization. Northern victory mean automatic end of the institution.

there was a hell of a lot other issues that lead to the Civil War, Slavery wasn't the only and the biggest reason

there was a hell of a lot other issues that lead to the Civil War, Slavery wasn't the only and the biggest reason

Dr. G, the point here is not "what" caused the war, it is that it ended slavery.

Correct. There were powerful pro slavery advocates in the north and powerful abolitionists in the south. The war itself was to settle the matter of whether states had the right to secede from the union. Had it been over the issue of slavery, they couldn't have found anough folks on either side of the Mason Dixon line to fight it. Too few people had any interest in the matter. Most in the north were small farmers and business people who had never seen a slave. Most in the south were small farmers and business people who had never owned own and couldn't have afforded one if they wanted to. Lincoln certainly had no intention of going to war over the issue of slavery, but was forced to exert authority to prevent the union from breaking apart. Slavery was not the reason but was the catalyst that created that crisis.

So it would be safe to say that slavery was not the reason for the Civil War. But it is also safe to say that without slavery, there most likely would have been no Civil War.

Foxfyre, you need to get out of the racist, outmoded 1940s and 1950s apologetics. Begin with CSA Vice-President Stephens' cornerstone speech on March 21, 1861. Read it carefully, then be morally strong enough to overcome your stubborness and come back to admit your error.

Begin here: Cornerstone Speech by Alexander H. Stephens.

Dr. G, the point here is not "what" caused the war, it is that it ended slavery.
Not really, but you keep telling yourself that.

Forum List

Back