Texas school board to rewrite history

It is a sad case of a handful of nut jobs pushing their beliefs on the kids of Texas. None of these fools are historians.

Thankfully, Dr. McLeroy, the dentist, was defeated in the recent elections. Unfortunately, he still has the rest of the year to muck things up

The parents of that state elected public officials to decide what is being taught. They made that decision in the political process. Why do you have such a problem with parents deciding what their kids learn? Don't you think it is the parent's right to pass on knowledge from one generation to the next as they see fit?

One thing I'll agree with is that education is a state issue.

One thing I will not agree with is parents voting in their religious beliefs into a secular school system.

Yes a parent should have the right to decide what their children learns. That's why we have PRIVATE SCHOOLS and homeschooling. I get sick and tired of this "drop your kids off and let the state teach your children shit you should be teaching them at home crap". That creates bad and lazy parents.

Personally I'm against most "science" classes and find them unnecessary unless the student feels that they want to pursue a career in science or medicine. The beginning/creation of the Earth, because of religion, is to touchy of a subject to teach unless the state figures out away to teach all of the major theories as just that, major theories, present each theory constructively without pushing any parents or religious group's opinions on the children.

WHENEVER you have a situation when schools are used by ANY group of parents or religious groups to morally indoctrinate children I have a problem. Like I said schools are not to be used as tools of the state to force ANYONE'S social or religious beliefs on ANYONE. If you want to send your child to a moral or religious school do so or keep them home and teach them yourself. It's not that hard of a freaking concept. These christian rightists scream about the left pushing their "values" on children and turn around and do the same damn thing. TEACH YOUR RELIGION AND MORALS (OR LACK OF) AT HOME AND CHURCH. THAT'S WHERE THEY BELONG.

As for the issue of history goes, this was never intended to be a christian nation. I think the constitution is pretty clear on that. Personally I lean towards liberal constitutionalism ideologically, I think we have a pretty good damn document running the country. Within it is a clear principle requiring the separation of church and state. For a reason. Religion in the state is a dangerous tool of control. Letting this "christian nation" bullshit run rampant is detrimental to the constitution. You have the right to believe what you want, you don't have the right to push your beliefs on innocent children.

What would be the difference if a small town elected to teach something like christian values and that same small town deciding to send their kids to a private christian school?

Anyways, on the surface I can see what you are saying that a large political buaracracy would use their power to "indoctrinate the children" but there might not be as much damage on smaller level like a small town. I think the trick is federalizing the school system so that each small district can do what it wants. This would put some checks into what is taught.

Last edited:
Well, bubba avg guy, Tenochitlan was the 4th largest city in the world in 1515 and the only with botanical gardens, clean streets, and good city water.

Yes, they were pretty good at heart ripping imperialism too.

We all hit our heads when we dropped out of that first tree in East Africa.

Last edited:
I think truth an accuracy should be taught above all else. It is true that some founders were slaver owners (reluctant ones at that) but they also laid the foundation for the concepts of freedom that our society still holds onto (or is trying to). The left don't like those concepts of freedom so they play up the 'evil slave owner' bit and remove completely the ideas of what they thought freedom meant.

how do you become a "reluctant" slave owner?....:lol:....come on....if you did not want to own slaves.....you did not own them....

Most people looked at slavery or indentured servitude as a kind of employment so they might not have recognized it as something completely wrong and I figure since most slaves were eventually released by them they probably knew it was wrong to hold them as human property.

Sorry if that bothers you, but take heart that I consider you one of us, a native American, if you were born in an American State.

Idiot. For the last time, YOU ARE NOT A NATIVE AMERICAN AND NEVER WILL BE. I have never heard such ignorant bullshit in my life.

To my mind a person is native to the place they were born in or have a cultural affinity for. Places, nations, continents evolve just like people, cultures or species do.

I am sure the first people to leave Siberia and step into north America saw themselves as more from their previous Siberian culture, but over time their children became "Native Americans". After they wiped out the Native American Mega Fauna.

Same thing is happening now.

Native is an evolving condition.

Last edited:
Well, bubba avg guy, Tenochitlan was the 4th largest city in the world in 1515 and the only with botanical gardens, clean streets, and good city water.

Yes, they were pretty good at heart ripping imperialism too.

We all hit our heads when we dropped out of that first tree in East Africa.

The Aztecs sacrificed humans to the gods by an obsidian knife. The Catholics and Protestants burned each other in religious rituals. Humans can be very stupid and evil.

"To my mind" is merely opinion not proof positive.

You can believe you are a marisupal, avgguy and hop around, but I will let you in on a secret: a kangaroo rat you are not.

Last edited:
Well said???? How can you agree with something so stupid?

Just this one comment deserves a double bitch slap:

"Personally I'm against most "science" classes and find them unnecessary unless the student feels that they want to pursue a career in science or medicine."

Primary and secondary education are supposed to build a foundation so you can, if you want, go to college for a "higher" education. Refusing to teach portions of science because it interferes with "mystical teachings" is deplorable and certainly a way to hamstring children.

If children aren't exposed to science, how would they know if they want to pursue a career in "science or medicine".

And even worse, if science is left out of school curriculums, then students may grow up feeling there is "something wrong" with it, and that would be the most damaging of all.

So right wingers, if you don't like science being taught and want to indoctrinate your children in the occult, if you want to make sure they will only be suitable for unskilled labor, go down that path, but please, keep them at home. We don't want the other children infected.

holy shit!!!!....Dean i fucking agree with you on this....a kid can not know if he/she would like science,unless he/she is exposed to it.....Science was the most interesting thing being taught when i went to school.....i remember a girl once who commented in class that the Sun is closer to us than the moon,thats why it gives us more light....:lol:....the teacher was stunned....

Last edited:
First, I said "most science classes" not "science" as a whole. I also said that I don't mind science being taught providing that it can be done so in a way that doesn't pin one ideology or religion or lack of one on kids. Remember, as far as I know the Big Bang Theory is just that, still a theory and it should be taught as such, just like the creationism theory. Darwinism is a theory, it has merits, it should be taught as such. Second, I'm interested in pursuing psychology in college once I get the assistance from the Armed Services and the GI Bill I need to pay for it. Up until 11th grade I never took a class in psychology and the class I took was optional, and I took it simply because I knew that was the career field I would eventually want to go into. You don't have to teach 5th graders about the big bang theory or creationism for them to want to be doctors.

whatever happened to the concept of a well rounded education....a semester of this a semester of that.....no biggie....

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

In recent years, board members have been locked in an ideological battle between a bloc of conservatives who question Darwin’s theory of evolution and believe the Founding Fathers were guided by Christian principles, and a handful of Democrats and moderate Republicans who have fought to preserve the teaching of Darwinism and the separation of church and state.
I especially find this comment ridiculous
“History has already been skewed. Academia is skewed too far to the left.”
Hmm, ever think that its not being skewed at all, its just that reality is more liberal. It's absurd to change history to suit politics, what a stupid stupid move IMO, but it is Texas,.

The fact is that history will FINALLY be taught as it actually was, with the people who really mattered to our history. You're just pissed off because the liberal version of distorted, perverted history that excluded the importance of Christopher Columbus discovering the Americas and Ronald Reagan winning the Cold War will no longer be ignored in our schools.

So he's mad because they'll stop ignoring the liberal version of history?:eusa_eh:

Thinking: it should precede posting.

Dr. McLeroy, a dentist by training, pushed through a change to the teaching of the civil rights movement to ensure that students study the violent philosophy of the Black Panthers in addition to the nonviolent approach of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He also made sure that textbooks would mention the votes in Congress on civil rights legislation, which Republicans supported.

Are they also going to teach the widespread violence of christians and white people in general also?

Which is dumb-ass?

Well said???? How can you agree with something so stupid?

Just this one comment deserves a double bitch slap:

"Personally I'm against most "science" classes and find them unnecessary unless the student feels that they want to pursue a career in science or medicine."

Primary and secondary education are supposed to build a foundation so you can, if you want, go to college for a "higher" education. Refusing to teach portions of science because it interferes with "mystical teachings" is deplorable and certainly a way to hamstring children.

If children aren't exposed to science, how would they know if they want to pursue a career in "science or medicine".

And even worse, if science is left out of school curriculums, then students may grow up feeling there is "something wrong" with it, and that would be the most damaging of all.

So right wingers, if you don't like science being taught and want to indoctrinate your children in the occult, if you want to make sure they will only be suitable for unskilled labor, go down that path, but please, keep them at home. We don't want the other children infected.

holy shit!!!!....Dean i fucking agree with you on this....a kid can not know if he/she would like science,unless he/she is exposed to it.....Science was the most interesting thing being taught when i went to school.....i remember a girl once who commented in class that the Sun is closer to us than the moon,thats why it gives us more light....:lol:....the teacher was stunned....

If you start publicly agreeing that "science is a good thing", you will lose all credibility in conservative circles.

I think truth an accuracy should be taught above all else. It is true that some founders were slaver owners (reluctant ones at that) but they also laid the foundation for the concepts of freedom that our society still holds onto (or is trying to). The left don't like those concepts of freedom so they play up the 'evil slave owner' bit and remove completely the ideas of what they thought freedom meant.

how do you become a "reluctant" slave owner?....:lol:....come on....if you did not want to own slaves.....you did not own them....

Most people looked at slavery or indentured servitude as a kind of employment so they might not have recognized it as something completely wrong and I figure since most slaves were eventually released by them they probably knew it was wrong to hold them as human property.

OK, so you are a pathological liar.

No, most slaves were not released voluntarily. A few, like Washington, did that, on his death. But most did not.

And we had to do the Civil War in order to end slavery.

Slavery as a form of employment? Man, you are really reaching. A form of employment where the boss could kill you, and it was considered his right.

Sorry, fruitcakes like you are not going to be allowed to candycoat the horrors in our history. History ignored and lied about is history that will be repeated.

History ignored and lied about is history that will be repeated.

here's a term for you>

negativism

basically, it means downplaying the points one wishes to have ignored

that way, it's not really a lie

this is exactly what the major contributors like the Ford and Carnegie foundations asked the universities in the 30's and 40' to do , concerning the teachings of the guilded age, and it's subsequent crash

sound familar?

~S~

Dr. Greg Brady said:
Texas school board to rewrite history
You really COULD pull your finger out of your ass and look around, pissant titmouse, perchance to see there's already a thread on this.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/109004-dont-mess-with-texas.html

Not that I really care, it just shows you don't bother reading.

Every poster is supposed to read the entire board before they start a thread?

Are you a mod, Maude?

And we didn't invade; we discovered.

You can't "discover" something that already exists.
Unless the civilized world knows about a region of the world, it doesn't really exist to humanity. They are simply unexplored regions of the world. Those aboriginals inhabiting those areas didn't write the history books; that's not our fault. Sorry if that bothers you, but take heart that I consider you one of us, a native American, if you were born in an American State.

You're a sorry example of 'civilized' if that's what you consider yourself.

Forum List

Back