Teen accused of stealing 65-cent carton of milk at middle school to face trial

All Ryan Turk wanted was his carton of milk.

The teenager says he had forgotten to grab the drink the first time through the line at the Graham Park Middle School cafeteria, so he headed back. A recipient of free lunches at the Virginia school, Ryan felt he was just doing what he did every day.

But a school resource officer said he spotted the teen cutting in line and accused him of stealing the 65-cent milk. When Ryan didn’t cooperate with a trip to see the principal, authorities say, he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and petit larceny. Ryan turned down an offer of non-judicial punishment and, this week, a Prince William County judge set a trial date in November for the Dumfries teen, who is now a freshman in high school.

Sgt. Jonathan Perok, a Prince William police spokesman, said the middle schooler “leaned back and pushed against the officer,” and then as the pair approached the principal, the teen tried to “push past the officer to get away.”

Wasn't able to link for some reason..computer not cooperating.

When I started reading this story, I thought of the kid who was pulled over for a traffic offense and he failed to cooperate with the police officer. He refused to show his license and registration. The situation escalated and the kid wound up dead. He was white.

Is it that hard that parents teach their children to respect officers and follow the directions given to them?

This article glosses over the real problem. The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office. That didn't matter to her. Will he end up incarcerated later in life. If he doesn't change, you bet.

The mother wanted the trial instead of facing punishment from the school for disorderly conduct.

You nailed it, the problem for this kid was not stealing milk, it was not being cooperative with those in authority.
That kid is a leader and won't take any bull shit later in life. He forgot to get his milka nd of course he wasn't going to go to the line and wait while his meal got cold. Do you call that stealing? I don't since he just forgot to get his milk. His being black was obviously a factor that immediately caused the Whites who observed him take the milk to assume he was stupid enough to steal right in front of every body. That kind of preconception underscores a bigger social problem that provided the catalyst for escalating the event. The kid just wanted to get something he had already paid for. There are too many missing variables here, too many questions remain unanswered. Did the cafeteria workers embarrass the young man and yell at him when he took the milk, When did the security officer arrive on the scene? Did the kid have two cartons of milk at his table when the officer accosted him. This kid reminds me of Donald Trump….

The teenager says he had forgotten to grab the drink the first time through the line at the Graham Park Middle School cafeteria, so he headed back. A recipient of free lunches at the Virginia school, Ryan felt he was just doing what he did every day.

But a school resource officer said he spotted the teen cutting in line and accused him of stealing the 65-cent milk. When Ryan didn’t cooperate with a trip to see the principal, authorities say, he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and petit larceny. Ryan turned down an offer of non-judicial punishment and, this week, a Prince William County judge set a trial date in November for the Dumfries teen, who is now a freshman in high school.

Sgt. Jonathan Perok, a Prince William police spokesman, said the middle schooler “leaned back and pushed against the officer,” and then as the pair approached the principal, the teen tried to “push past the officer to get away.”

When I started reading this story, I thought of the kid who was pulled over for a traffic offense and he failed to cooperate with the police officer. He refused to show his license and registration. The situation escalated and the kid wound up dead. He was white.

Is it that hard that parents teach their children to respect officers and follow the directions given to them?

This article glosses over the real problem. The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office. That didn't matter to her. Will he end up incarcerated later in life. If he doesn't change, you bet.

The mother wanted the trial instead of facing punishment from the school for disorderly conduct.

You nailed it, the problem for this kid was not stealing milk, it was not being cooperative with those in authority.
That kid is a leader and won't take any bull shit later in life. He forgot to get his milka nd of course he wasn't going to go to the line and wait while his meal got cold. Do you call that stealing? I don't since he just forgot to get his milk. His being black was obviously a factor that immediately caused the Whites who observed him take the milk to assume he was stupid enough to steal right in front of every body. That kind of preconception underscores a bigger social problem that provided the catalyst for escalating the event. The kid just wanted to get something he had already paid for. There are too many missing variables here, too many questions remain unanswered. Did the cafeteria workers embarrass the young man and yell at him when he took the milk, When did the security officer arrive on the scene? Did the kid have two cartons of milk at his table when the officer accosted him. This kid reminds me of Donald Trump….
Another poster that cannot address the real problem. He was being taken to the office and shoved the officer while trying to get away. A leader? Of the whole prison or just his cell block?

Another poster that cannot address the real problem. He was being taken to the office and shoved the officer while trying to get away. A leader? Of the whole prison or just his cell block?
Oh, I forgot… He isn't White. I read that he jerked away from the officer . I guess he didn't like being man handled, especially when he didn't really do anything wrong. This case just adds credence to that study that Blacks are treated differently…

HIs mother was right…let it go to court so she can sue the pants off that school after her son's case is dismissed.I hope he gets A White judge, though. Black judges tend to be tougher on Blacks.

Oh, I forgot… He isn't White. I read that he jerked away from the officer . I guess he didn't like being man handled, especially when he didn't really do anything wrong. This case just adds credence to that study that Blacks are treated differently…

HIs mother was right…let it go to court so she can sue the pants off that school after her son's case is dismissed.I hope he gets A White judge, though. Black judges tend to be tougher on Blacks.
The police officer was black.

The police officer was black.

Ok Blacks judges AND Black police officer are tougher on Blacks when it comes to discipline. But even more egregious is the study that shows Black teachers are tougher too, especially when it comes to young Black boys…even preschoolers.

I'd send him to the local farm for two hours a day to milk cows barehanded for two weeks. Then have him stand first in line at lunch time every day for two weeks and not move, but have to watch every other child file past and get their lunch first.

From The Washington Post 12 January 2017:
------------------------------------------------------------------
A teenager who was arrested for allegedly stealing a 65-cent carton of milk from a middle school cafeteria will not face trial after prosecutors decided to drop theft charges against him Thursday.
------------------------------------------------------------------

article

I'll bet you're all relieved about that...

The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office.

So you think this is a bigger issue than the school making a 65 cent milk something to call the cops about? Cutting in line? Being ACCUSED of stealing by a...whatever the hell a resource officer is? Escalation? For a carton of milk?
I think the bigger issue is that many have no problem with someone stealing. The amount is irrelevant.

The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office.

So you think this is a bigger issue than the school making a 65 cent milk something to call the cops about? Cutting in line? Being ACCUSED of stealing by a...whatever the hell a resource officer is? Escalation? For a carton of milk?
I think the bigger issue is that many have no problem with someone stealing. The amount is irrelevant.

I think the bigger issue is you pretending to read the minds of of an entire race and presenting that as anything but bullshit.

The real problem is the sense of entitlement the youth had. He can cut in line without explaining why, possibly steal and ignore authority. Had it been my son, I would have had disciplinary action at home and agreed with any action the school dictated.

My son would not be a thief, but be polite and taken to the school to apologize to the lunch ladies, officer and principal.

My son is a very successful Director of a National company, a great father and good person. If that kid continues in his methods of self gratification, he'll be just one of may in prison.

I think the bigger issue is you pretending to read the minds of of an entire race and presenting that as anything but bullshit.

I didn't mention race. I did mention stealing and the amount of what was stolen as irrelevant. YOU brought race into it, racist.

Forum List

Back