Teen accused of stealing 65-cent carton of milk at middle school to face trial

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Teen accused of stealing 65-cent carton of milk at middle school to face trial

All Ryan Turk wanted was his carton of milk.

The teenager says he had forgotten to grab the drink the first time through the line at the Graham Park Middle School cafeteria, so he headed back. A recipient of free lunches at the Virginia school, Ryan felt he was just doing what he did every day.

But a school resource officer said he spotted the teen cutting in line and accused him of stealing the 65-cent milk. When Ryan didn’t cooperate with a trip to see the principal, authorities say, he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and petit larceny. Ryan turned down an offer of non-judicial punishment and, this week, a Prince William County judge set a trial date in November for the Dumfries teen, who is now a freshman in high school.

Sgt. Jonathan Perok, a Prince William police spokesman, said the middle schooler “leaned back and pushed against the officer,” and then as the pair approached the principal, the teen tried to “push past the officer to get away.”

Wasn't able to link for some reason..computer not cooperating.

When I started reading this story, I thought of the kid who was pulled over for a traffic offense and he failed to cooperate with the police officer. He refused to show his license and registration. The situation escalated and the kid wound up dead. He was white.

Is it that hard that parents teach their children to respect officers and follow the directions given to them?

This article glosses over the real problem. The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office. That didn't matter to her. Will he end up incarcerated later in life. If he doesn't change, you bet.

The mother wanted the trial instead of facing punishment from the school for disorderly conduct.

The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office.

So you think this is a bigger issue than the school making a 65 cent milk something to call the cops about? Cutting in line? Being ACCUSED of stealing by a...whatever the hell a resource officer is? Escalation? For a carton of milk?

The parent talks about the milk being free, ignoring the fact that he cut in line, pushed the officer and refused to go to the office.

So you think this is a bigger issue than the school making a 65 cent milk something to call the cops about? Cutting in line? Being ACCUSED of stealing by a...whatever the hell a resource officer is? Escalation? For a carton of milk?

If the student had just got in line and explained to the lunch person he had forgotten to get his milk, he wouldn't have a trial date. Is that so hard?

If the student had just got in line and explained to the lunch person he had forgotten to get his milk, he wouldn't have a trial date. Is that so hard?

I'm not saying doing something different is hard but why do you place more responsibility on a child than a trained officer who didnt have accuse anyone of anything to escalate the situation? We're talking about Milk here dude

The kid is black...he was entitled.

Absolutely. The kid needs to learn at an early age that even if he's not doing anything wrong, how he acts when accused is crucial. It could save his life some day. This isn't just about minorities (assuming this kid is even a minority). Shit will happen in life, fair or not, and kids needs to learn to properly deal with the situation.

I'm not saying doing something different is hard but why do you place more responsibility on a child than a trained officer who didnt have accuse anyone of anything to escalate the situation? We're talking about Milk here dude
What is the officer supposed to do when he tells the kid to GET IN LINE? What if everyone just crowds in front of others and pushes an officer? The kid didn't know that rules apply to him?

Did you find the article and didnt post it? Because no where does it mention his race

Absolutely. The kid needs to learn at an early age that even if he's not doing anything wrong, how he acts when accused is crucial. It could save his life some day. This isn't just about minorities (assuming this kid is even a minority). Shit will happen in life, fair or not, and kids needs to learn to properly deal with the situation.

One of ours pulled this stunt and a trial will be the least of their worries

Did you find the article and didnt post it? Because no where does it mention his race

Indeed I did. He's black.

What is the officer supposed to do when he tells the kid to GET IN LINE? What if everyone just crowds in front of others and pushes an officer? The kid didn't know that rules apply to him?

When you went to school how many kids didnt get in line and were arrested?

The way the mother is acting, that is precisely what he thinks. Had it been my son, he would be writing a letter of apology and get a whack across the head from me. Stupido!

The way the mother is acting, that is precisely what he thinks. Had it been my son, he would be writing a letter of apology and get a whack across the head from me. Stupido!

Yeah mom is keying on it was free and forgetting her son was also charged with disorderly conduct

When I was in school, no one broke the rules without suffering the consequences. This story just lays out what is wrong today.

And look at who that matters too. Only you. I dont know the boys race and I think its ridiculous being accused of stealing before being asked any questions doesnt seem to be what trained people do

When I was in school, no one broke the rules without suffering the consequences. This story just lays out what is wrong today.

Everyone suffered consequences. I asked how many people didnt get in line and were arrested?

It was in the article that he was black. Does that really matter?

And look at who that matters too. Only you. I dont know the boys race and I think its ridiculous being accused of stealing before being asked any questions doesnt seem to be what trained people do

You're like his mama, you keep avoiding he's charged with disorderly conduct. Actions have consequences, in this case a trial for being an idiot

Forum List

Back