Super Bowl Sunday and It's Secrets

gnarlylove

Dec 6, 2013
Along the Ohio River
NFL said if 10% of the population knew about the following, it would spell the demise for the League:

With Super Bowl Sunday underway, we can expect to see unabashed advertisement for the NFL, stunning choreography, and some spectacular plays. The regular hard-hitting plays not only feed our need for aggression and violence but they can lead to tragedy, from HS to NFL.
The League and our culture edifies players while under contract but upon retirement, they are little more than history. Unfortunately these former stars undergo changes that end their life at an early age, often having lost everything the final 5 years of life, dying alone. Even an 18 yr. old player who killed himself was found to have CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a disease typically found among the elderly. We are learning it is not a statistical anomaly among NFL players just like in Boxers.

Until the League and we the people admit these real threats are inherent to the game, we will continue to trample human dignity under foot. Is it fair to edify something when destroys one's marriage, family and future? League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE | PBS

Although I don't agree 100% with the documentary, it enlightens us to a hidden side we need to know. They league still denies any substantial link between head injuries/CTE and the way the game is played. Any thoughts...

I played football for 12 years while in school. I know of it's effects which is why I never pushed my boys into the sport. They liked the martial arts.

After my g-ma insisted I not play in elementary, I decided to deny peer-pressure to join and listen to her. Looking back, I would have made a career of it and am glad to have avoided it. Running became my thing and eventually cycling...

According to the documentary, even normal plays/hits seem to encourage the development of CTE given the fact a few HS and college players killed themselves and were found to have CTE. I think football can fun to watch and you gotta love the hail mary pass-touchdown in the last seconds but god damn it football is not without serious repercussions.

Ignoring this problem like the League is doing is categorically harmful to the well-being of not just the NFL veterans but of our children and neighbors.

Last edited:
When do you hold the well informed player responsible and not the league?

The more the results of football come in, the more I question the sanity of the game.

I heard the league sent out a pamphlet on head injuries and you. I think it was their attempt to inform but many players say this is something the league is hiding. Many of the players responded to the documentary and were shocked. You can read their comments on the link provided in the original post.

Here's another interesting NFL secret that's not really secret:
The Atlantic said:
Judith Grant Long, a Harvard University professor of urban planning, calculates that league-wide, 70 percent of the capital cost of NFL stadiums has been provided by taxpayers, not NFL owners. Many cities, counties, and states also pay the stadiums’ ongoing costs, by providing power, sewer services, other infrastructure, and stadium improvements.

See here for more

I heard the league sent out a pamphlet on head injuries and you. I think it was their attempt to inform but many players say this is something the league is hiding. Many of the players responded to the documentary and were shocked. You can read their comments on the link provided in the original post.

Here's another interesting NFL secret that's not really secret:
The Atlantic said:
Judith Grant Long, a Harvard University professor of urban planning, calculates that league-wide, 70 percent of the capital cost of NFL stadiums has been provided by taxpayers, not NFL owners. Many cities, counties, and states also pay the stadiums’ ongoing costs, by providing power, sewer services, other infrastructure, and stadium improvements.

See here for more

Taxpayers funding stadiums is nothing new. It's an issue for the local governments to handle. Player injuries are different and this year it has been talk about a lot. It's been all over the news and players have new rules because of concussions and the teams treat concussions differently. Some choose to ignore the facts and like the big bucks. Many young players think they are immortal.

Forum List

Back