Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Display of religious tenets debated

Follow the link for the full article.

Display of Religious Tenets Debated

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 13, 2008; Page A04

The way Summum tells it, when Moses first came down from Mount Sinai, he didn't have the Ten Commandments in his hands: He was holding the Seven Aphorisms.

The aphorisms are the guiding principles of Summum, a religious organization that operates from a pyramid in Salt Lake City and practices mummification. The group's founder, Summum "Corky" Ra, asked that the sayings be displayed near a Ten Commandments monument in a public park in Pleasant Grove, a Salt Lake suburb.

The city said no, triggering a court fight that yesterday wound up before the Supreme Court. The justices debated whether the city violated Summum's First Amendment rights and must erect the aphorisms, sayings such as "Summum is mind," "Everything vibrates" and "The measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left."

Based on yesterday's argument, it is unclear whether this particular court is swinging right or left. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., an appointee of President Bush, immediately questioned Pleasant Grove's decision to accept the donated Ten Commandments monument in the first place, saying it could violate the First Amendment ban on government establishment of religion. Summum's attorneys filed their challenge under a different part of the amendment, the free-speech clause.

"What is the government doing speaking and supporting the Ten Commandments?" Roberts asked.

I think religious displays on government property are always a bad idea. If you allow one, then you have to allow them all and accomodating every religion out there can cause quite a problem. You also have to allow religious displays from religions that, putting it politely, are not mainstream. What if Satan worshipers wanted to erect a display on the lawn of the Town Hall? We'd also have to allow people like Fred Phelps to get equal time. (I would demand that a monument dedicated to the Flying Spaghetti Monster be allowed as long as anything is allowed)

I think keeping government property neutral on the topic of religion is the best way to go. There are ample opportunities for people to put displays on their own private property if they feel the need. It is not necessary to have the government do it for you (unless you're trying to proselytize with government resources and I think that is basically the purpose of these displays).

I can't believe there have been no comments on this article.

You know....this sounds like every other cult that I've heard.......

They rip off some Jewish theology, combine it with other stuff and then try to tell everyone that they are the "right" ones.

Kinda like those mixed up Arabs did when they invented Islam.

They rip off some Jewish theology, combine it with other stuff and then try to tell everyone that they are the "right" ones.

Yes, all religion is wrong and messed up because they tell people *NOT* to things that are wrong, everybody should be free to do what the hell they want, to hell with morals and values, they don't exists except in the minds of religious fundies.

You make some of the most retarded arguments, seriously.

I am tired of this BS...free speech and religious freedom is alive and well in the US, as long as you are not a white Christian.

Ridiculous.

Yes, all religion is wrong and messed up because they tell people *NOT* to things that are wrong, everybody should be free to do what the hell they want, to hell with morals and values, they don't exists except in the minds of religious fundies.

You make some of the most retarded arguments, seriously.

Yes Ass Chucker, people SHOULD be free to do as they wish, as long as they comply with the 7 Noahide Laws, or the 10 Commandments.

There are only a few things that God said don't do. What are you allowed to do?

Everything else.

I am tired of this BS...free speech and religious freedom is alive and well in the US, as long as you are not a white Christian.

Ridiculous.

That's a lot of baloney.

Ridiculous.

Thats a damn lie, whites are free to say what theY want as far as religion but it just so happens that they have the biggest mouths pointing the finger at others as being less than them that when they get exposed and the heat gets on them they create the illusion thats its only them who can't freely practice their religion.

Charlie---not all religion is wrong.....just judgmental, holier than thou, big mouthed, intolerant religious people....who want to dictate their values and morals on everyone else.

I do not care if anyone is religious, I do not care if religious writings are in our government buildings, I do not care if some government employees want to have a bible class together in their lunch break in a free office, I do not care if our money says "In God We Trust"...just force your opinions and thoughts on me and do not judge me because I think you believe in a fictional being.

Thats a damn lie, whites are free to say what theY want as far as religion but it just so happens that they have the biggest mouths pointing the finger at others as being less than them that when they get exposed and the heat gets on them they create the illusion thats its only them who can't freely practice their religion.

What a crock of shit.

The point is, though, that if christians can have their own religious display, then they have to give equal time to any other religion that wants a display. If you don't want Satanists and Muslims having a religious display on government property then the best solution is to not have any at all.

No, its the truth, whites have a way of making nonwhites look like the bad people but don't do the same for their own kind.

You don't get it......all races do it...the point is, because of the history of the US...the whites are now the ones who are allowed currently judged the harshest. That is a fact.

You don't get it......all races do it...the point is, because of the history of the US...the whites are now the ones who are allowed currently judged the harshest. That is a fact.

Thats because it is whites who have a history of judging others the harshest so its not surprising that those who did the harshest judging get judged the harshest. But that isn't the case, its just that whites have the biggest mouths when it comes to judging others while others are not as vocal as whites have been.

Last edited:
Thats because it is whites who have a history of judging others the harshest so its not surprising that those who did the harshest judging get judged the harshest. But that isn't the case, its just that whites have the biggest mouths when it comes to judging others while others are not as vocal as whites have been.

Yeah, tell that to Jessie Jackson...Al Sharpton...the two biggest racist mouth pieces in the US.

No, its the truth, whites have a way of making nonwhites look like the bad people but don't do the same for their own kind.

Hey Ass Chucker, ever see the racism between light skinned and dark skinned blacks? Blacks have a way of making OTHER BLACKS look bad.

Ever heard the term "high yellow"?

Back to the subject at hand........

If that particular church wants to have a public display, let 'em........only make them buy their OWN land for their display.

Why?

Currently the predominant religion for this country is Christian, therefore, our official buildings should be allowed. We are also a nation of Jews and Muslims, so, in places where those religions are the predominant one for the area, those should be allowed also.

If this crackpot church wants their own public display in an official building?

Let 'em become a mainstream religion first, instead of the backwater cult they currently are.

If this crackpot church wants their own public display in an official building?

Let 'em become a mainstream religion first, instead of the backwater cult they currently are.

Who says they have to be mainstream to have the same rights as other religions?

Forum List

Back