Sotomayor reversed 60% by high court

no, it's factually correct, but not particularly indicative of anything.

No, it is NOT factually correct. If she really had an 80% reversal rate, that would be indicitive, believe me. But she doesn't. Limbaugh bleats that she does - but he is (being charitable here) incorrect.

she's had 5 cases reviewed and 3 have been overturned. that's 60%.
a sixth case is under review and there are indications it will be overturned as well. then her reversal rate will be 66% or if it's not overturned, 50%.
these are facts- and as i stated previously, not particularly indicative of anything.

now untwist your knickers and turn off the radio.

All right - point well taken. Only thing that gripes me is mentioning "380 cases" in the same sentence as "60% (or 80%) reversal rate," implying that she has had over 300 cases reversed. (Which has been done by a number of folks from the Right.)

No, it is NOT factually correct. If she really had an 80% reversal rate, that would be indicitive, believe me. But she doesn't. Limbaugh bleats that she does - but he is (being charitable here) incorrect.

a sixth case is under review and there are indications it will be overturned as well. then her reversal rate will be 66% or if it's not overturned, 50%.
these are facts- and as i stated previously, not particularly indicative of anything.

All right - point well taken. Only thing that gripes me is mentioning "380 cases" in the same sentence as "60% (or 80%) reversal rate," implying that she has had over 300 cases reversed. (Which has been done by a number of folks from the Right.)
where has that been done?
i've not seen anyone claim she had 300 cases reversed?

Reading comprehension must be difficult for some apparently.

How about Rush Limbaugh? Limbaugh's exact statement was: "She has been overturned 80% by the Supreme Court."

This clearly implies that 80% of her total decisions have been overturned by the Supreme Court. Limbaugh did not qualify his statement by saying something like, "of her decisions that have been taken up on appeal, 80% of them have been reversed." That omission was on purpose, of course. Limbaugh lives for the half truth.

How about Rush Limbaugh? Limbaugh's exact statement was: "She has been overturned 80% by the Supreme Court."

This clearly implies that 80% of her total decisions have been overturned by the Supreme Court. Limbaugh did not qualify his statement by saying something like, "of her decisions that have been taken up on appeal, 80% of them have been reversed." That omission was on purpose, of course. Limbaugh lives for the half truth.
ah, well, you must listen to Rush more than i do :lol:

She has had five of her cases put before the Supreme Court, three of them have been over turned by the Supreme Court. 3 divided by 5 is .6, multiply that times 100 and you have 60%. How would hte Supreme Court overturn any percentage of all of her cases if only 5 of them have gone in front of that court? Do you think they just randomly overturn cases not presented before them? If you didn't understand the statement, then you don't understand how the Supreme Court works obviously.

Of some 150 decisions rendered by Judge Sotomayor since joining the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, only five came before the SCOTUS. From a purely statistical standpoint, that's 3.3% of her rulings...and not significant in and of itself. The 3 rulings reversed by the SCOTUS compromises a 60% average (2% of her 150 rulings) of ALL of her rulings brought before the SCOTUS, which is better than the 75% reversal rate for ALL cases brought before the SCOTUS.

Thus another disingenuous attempt to smear Judge Sotomayor's reputation by the RWN's is laid to rest.

She has had five of her cases put before the Supreme Court, three of them have been over turned by the Supreme Court. 3 divided by 5 is .6, multiply that times 100 and you have 60%. How would hte Supreme Court overturn any percentage of all of her cases if only 5 of them have gone in front of that court? Do you think they just randomly overturn cases not presented before them? If you didn't understand the statement, then you don't understand how the Supreme Court works obviously.

You are missing the point of my post here. You know that what you are saying is correct, and I know that it is correct. My point is that the general public does not know what you have just stated here. All they know is what they hear Rush Limbaugh saying, and that is simply that Sotomayer has been overtuned 80% of the time. The average person thinks (as Limbaugh well knows) that this means that 80% of her decisions have been overturned by the Supreme Court. If that were true, that would make her a terrible judge. But it is not true.

ah, well, you must listen to Rush more than i do :lol:

I don't listen to Limbaugh. I don't listen to him because (1) I don't like him - he is obnoxiously offensive and (2) I don't agree with anything that he has said yet and don't expect to in the foreseeable future.

I listen to O'Reilly occasionally because, while I rarely agree with anything he says, I kind of like his personality.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't listen to Al Franken because I find him annoying. I won't find him annoying as a U.S. Senator, that's for damn sure.

By in large, radio talk show hosts, right or left, don't make it for me.

You are missing the point of my post here. You know that what you are saying is correct, and I know that it is correct. My point is that the general public does not know what you have just stated here. All they know is what they hear Rush Limbaugh saying, and that is simply that Sotomayer has been overtuned 80% of the time. The average person thinks (as Limbaugh well knows) that this means that 80% of her decisions have been overturned by the Supreme Court. If that were true, that would make her a terrible judge. But it is not true.

I guess I give the public more credit than you do apparently. I think most people know that the Supreme Court would not hear all of a judges decisions in front of their court. Most people who bother to listen to political talk are usually on top of how things work in this country.

Q:

What percentage of Sonia Sotomayor's opinions have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court?

A:

Three of her appellate opinions have been overturned, which is 1.3 percent of all that she has written and 60 percent of those reviewed by the Supreme Court.

Of the majority opinions that Judge Sonia Sotomayor has authored since becoming an appellate judge in 1998, three of them have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Our search for appellate opinions by Sotomayor on the LexisNexis database returned 232 cases. That's a reversal rate of 1.3 percent.

But only five of her decisions have been reviewed by the justices. Using five as a denominator, the rate comes out to 60 percent.

FactCheck.org: What percentage of Sonia Sotomayor's opinions have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court?

Q:

What percentage of Sonia Sotomayor's opinions have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court?

A:

Three of her appellate opinions have been overturned, which is 1.3 percent of all that she has written and 60 percent of those reviewed by the Supreme Court.

Of the majority opinions that Judge Sonia Sotomayor has authored since becoming an appellate judge in 1998, three of them have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Our search for appellate opinions by Sotomayor on the LexisNexis database returned 232 cases. That's a reversal rate of 1.3 percent.

But only five of her decisions have been reviewed by the justices. Using five as a denominator, the rate comes out to 60 percent.

FactCheck.org: What percentage of Sonia Sotomayor's opinions have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court?

Possible Controversial Positions and Statements

• Wrote the 2008 opinion supporting the City of New Haven's decision to throw out the results of a firefighter promotion exam because almost no minorities qualified for promotions. The Supreme Court heard the case in April 2009 and a final opinion is pending.

• Sided with environmentalists in a 2007 case that would have allowed the EPA to consider the cost-effectiveness of protecting fish and aquatic life in rivers and lakes located near power plants. Was overturned by the Supreme Court.

• Supported the right to sue national investment firms in state court, rather than in federal court. Was overturned unanimously by the Supreme Court.

• Ruled that a federal law allowing lawsuits against individual federal government officers and agents for constitutional rights violations also extends to private corporations working on behalf of the federal government. Was overturned by the Supreme Court.

• Sotomayor was first appointed to the federal bench in 1991 by a Republican President, George Bush, but it was a Democrat, Sen. Patrick Moynihan, who recommended her to Bush.

• In a 2005 panel discussion at Duke University, Sotomayor told students that the federal Court of Appeals is where "policy is made." She and other panelists had been asked by a student to describe the differences between clerking in the District Court versus in the Circuit Court of Appeals. Sotomayor said that traditionally, those interested in academia, policy, and public interest law tend to seek circuit court clerkships. She said, "All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with Court of Appeals experience. Because it is -- Court of Appeals is where policy is made. And I know, and I know, that this is on tape, and I should never say that. Because we don't 'make law,' I know. [audience laughter] Okay, I know. I know. I'm not promoting it, and I'm not advocating it. I'm, you know. [audience laughter] Having said that, the Court of Appeals is where, before the Supreme Court makes the final decision, the law is percolating. Its interpretation, its application." [Duke University School of Law, 2/25/2005, 43:19, http://realserver.law.duke.edu/ramgen/spring05/lawschool/02252005clerk.rm]

Sotomayor's resume, record on notable cases - CNN.com

sorry, but that is a strawman by both YOU and factcheck
no one is claiming anything of the sort
they put up that only 1% of her decissions but thats not what has been said
its 60% of her decissions that have been REVIEWED

you and factcheck are being DISHONEST

Where exactly does the word reviewed appear in the OP or in the title?

Yeah. Nowhere.

By the way...if its not intentionally misleading, why exactly is this a talking point considering the standard overturn rate by the USSC is approx 75%?

Where exactly does the word reviewed appear in the OP or in the title?

Yeah. Nowhere.

By the way...if its not intentionally misleading, why exactly is this a talking point considering the standard overturn rate by the USSC is approx 75%?
read the fucking link
it's in the 2nd paragraph
:eusa_whistle:

so, using the right wing formula that only examines the number of cases overturned by the supreme court, alioto's rate of such cases overturned is 100% (2 of 2); that would then tell us that he is unqualified to sit on that SC bench

i can live with that conclusion. how 'bout y'all

so, using the right wing formula that only examines the number of cases overturned by the supreme court, alioto's rate of such cases overturned is 100% (2 of 2); that would then tell us that he is unqualified to sit on that SC bench

i can live with that conclusion. how 'bout y'all
i dont care
i'm already on record that she should be confirmed
the constitution does not set any standard for SCOTUS appointees
other than to be appointed by the current POTUS
and unless you can find some legal reason that she shouldnt be confirmed, and i dont mean ideology, then confirmed she should be

Forum List

Back