Burris and Blago: Perjury?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'm telling you, I'm just shocked! A bit different than he said at Blago's trial:

Burris on tape offering a check for Blagojevich - Chicago Breaking News

Burris on tape offering a check for Blagojevich
May 26, 2009 9:43 PM | 61 Comments | UPDATED STORY
A transcript of a secretly recorded phone call between the brother of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich and U.S. Sen. Roland Burris was released in federal court today, a call in which Burris, then seeking the Senate seat, was recorded offering the Blagojevich campaign a campaign check.

"I know I could give him a check," Burris said. "Myself."

But in the same call, Burris tells Robert Blagojevich he is concerned he and Rod Blagojevich will "catch hell."

"And if I do get appointed that means I bought it," Burris said.

"And, and God knows number one, I, I wanna help Rod," Burris says later in the call. "Number two, I also wanna, you know, hope I get a consideration to get that appointment."...

The Associated Press: Judge approves release of Burris conversation

Judge approves release of Burris conversation
By MIKE ROBINSON – 17 hours ago
CHICAGO (AP) — The U.S. Senate Ethics Committee will be allowed to listen to a federal wiretap of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich's brother having a phone conversation with U.S. Sen. Roland Burris, who has been under scrutiny over the circumstances of his appointment, a federal judge said Tuesday.

The conversation between Burris and the former governor's brother occurred while Blagojevich was still governor and before he named Burris to President Barack Obama's former U.S. Senate seat.

Burris has been under intense scrutiny because of the circumstances of his appointment by the disgraced former governor and for changing his story multiple times about whether he promised anything in exchange for the appointment.

The Senate Ethics Committee has begun a preliminary investigation. The Sangamon County State's Attorney is determining whether perjury charges are warranted.....

There should not be any shock to it. There were people saying Burris was dirty from the get go.

that is one thing

IF he actually wrote a check, or provided any funds, buying the appointment, that is quite another

if it is found he paid for the senate appointment then subject him to the most harsh punishment possible

until then, you got nothing

that is one thing

IF he actually wrote a check, or provided any funds, buying the appointment, that is quite another

if it is found he paid for the senate appointment then subject him to the most harsh punishment possible

Conspiring to buy an appointment is unethical. Just as much as conspiring to rob a bank, terrorist activities, murder, etc....... These activities are also illegal. Conspiracy = if two or more are involved and planning such.

that is one thing

Not exactly.

The transcript of the seven-minute call on Nov. 13 was released to the Senate Ethics Committee, which is investigating Mr. Burris’s appointment and whether he fully described his ties to Mr. Blagojevich.

An Illinois prosecutor is also investigating claims that Mr. Burris committed perjury before state lawmakers, who questioned him on his relationships with Mr. Blagojevich’s representatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/us/politics/27burris.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

that is one thing

Not exactly.

The transcript of the seven-minute call on Nov. 13 was released to the Senate Ethics Committee, which is investigating Mr. Burris’s appointment and whether he fully described his ties to Mr. Blagojevich.

An Illinois prosecutor is also investigating claims that Mr. Burris committed perjury before state lawmakers, who questioned him on his relationships with Mr. Blagojevich’s representatives.

and well they should investigate, but the quote attributed to burris as expressed within the OP tells us nothing about illegal behavior
in addition to noting he "could" write a check he also then provided the reason doing so would not be wise ... they would both catch hell for such a transaction
something one would do if being considered for an appointment but holding the belief the appointing authority might expect payment for that appointment

the point is, we know no more than we knew before

that is one thing

Not exactly.

and well they should investigate, but the quote attributed to burris as expressed within the OP tells us nothing about illegal behavior
in addition to noting he "could" write a check he also then provided the reason doing so would not be wise ... they would both catch hell for such a transaction
something one would do if being considered for an appointment but holding the belief the appointing authority might expect payment for that appointment

My but doesn't the left sing a different tune when they're not convicting a Republican before the fact.:lol:

that is one thing

Not exactly.

'Scuse me, but I believe you should look at the title of this thread again, and then re-read the OP, specifically this portion quoted from the AP:

"Burris has been under intense scrutiny because of the circumstances of his appointment by the disgraced former governor and for changing his story multiple times about whether he promised anything in exchange for the appointment.

The Senate Ethics Committee has begun a preliminary investigation. The Sangamon County State's Attorney is determining whether perjury charges are warranted.....

You dance much?

As a former resident of Chicago on two occasions I feel qualified to characterize Illinois politics as 'the latrine of the midwest'. There is nothing particularly remarkable about these two political criminals except getting caught out. Which speak volumes all by itself.

Not exactly.

'Scuse me, but I believe you should look at the title of this thread again, and then re-read the OP, specifically this portion quoted from the AP:

"Burris has been under intense scrutiny because of the circumstances of his appointment by the disgraced former governor and for changing his story multiple times about whether he promised anything in exchange for the appointment.

You dance much?

I think I see him doing the "bubba shuffle." :lol:

that is one thing

So, if he found a way to funnel the money to Blago without writing the actual check, that's OK with you?

With this profound sense of ethics you're demonstrating, I guess we know why our federal contracting situation is as bad as it is. I'm sure you probably able to rationalize plenty of kickbacks over your career, huh?

Well, it isn't like Lockheed actually paid me, the money came from the brother of the vice president of operations not the actual vp. :cuckoo:

But, thanks for your (belated) honesty.

that is one thing

Just the fact that he offered a check and admitted that if he got the senate seat he would have bought it. Is enough to bounce his ass out of the senate. It certainly would be if he were a republican, but we all know that democrats operate under a different set of standards. Of which they make up as they go along.

I'm willing to bet a thousand dollars that he did in fact write a check to Blago.

that is one thing

So, if he found a way to funnel the money to Blago without writing the actual check, that's OK with you?
... or provided any funds ... what do you think. yes, your weak attempt to speed read caused you to miss what was already posted

With this profound sense of ethics you're demonstrating, I guess we know why our federal contracting situation is as bad as it is.
what portion of the ethics do you disagree with, refusing to jump to the wrong conclusions where there is insufficient information or refusing to hear things which were never said?

I'm sure you probably able to rationalize plenty of kickbacks over your career, huh?
sounds like you worked in the legal division at sba ... there was a reason dave gray moved the the IG's office when you were there

Well, it isn't like Lockheed actually paid me, the money came from the brother of the vice president of operations not the actual vp. :cuckoo:
while i am no attorney, i would counsel you not to admit to committing that kind of violation, in writing, on a public forum

But, thanks for your (belated) honesty.
no reason not to be honest. what's your excuse?

that is one thing

Just the fact that he offered a check and admitted that if he got the senate seat he would have bought it. Is enough to bounce his ass out of the senate. It certainly would be if he were a republican, but we all know that democrats operate under a different set of standards. Of which they make up as they go along.

I'm willing to bet a thousand dollars that he did in fact write a check to Blago.

he did NOT offer the check. he let blago's brother know that while blago might expect a check from him personally, it would not be a wise thing to actually do - for either burris or blago
and it turns out he was absolutely correct

hey, if you can make a case against burris to prove that he is dirty, then go for it ... and that is true of any politician of any party. the only problem is, based on what has been made public, there is not enough proof of wrongdoing to move against him

and identify for us ANY congressman or senator who has not received money from someone who gave it hoping to get something in return. political contributions are nothing more than legal bribes. that's the way they want it. and the public has not risen up in opposition (yet) to make them change it. the fact is, we have the best government money can buy!

final point: man up! you lost. get over it. we suffered thru 8 years of dicknbush, you will stumble thru 8 years of Obama

hey, if you can make a case against burris to prove that he is dirty, then go for it ... and that is true of any politician of any party. the only problem is, based on what has been made public, there is not enough proof of wrongdoing to move against him

That would be why there's an investigation -- well, one reason at any rate. The other is to determine whether or not he committed perjury. Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Forum List

Back