Sorry Left AND Right, No Job Requires A College Degree

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Damn, some common sense, from Forbes, no less.

Recently this writer participated as part of a television panel in which it was asked if there aren’t enough jobs that require a college degree for the coming glut of college grads. The question was a funny one, one that conferred on college grads skills much greater than those possessed by the average individual. Maybe, but not asked enough is what job requires a college degree? The truth is no job does, though politicians and policy analysts would have us believe otherwise.
President Obama regularly talks up the need for more math classes “to equip our children for the future.” The latter is odd and a bit dated, particularly when we consider that computers and calculators have largely made the need for math knowledge something of the past.
In Obama’s defense, he’s not alone when it comes to educational political correctness, and the need to get education right so that “our children” are prepared for a very challenging, and very globalized job market. Right of center thinkers are similarly deluded with utopian visions 0f universities “equipping” students with the knowledge needed to succeed in the real world after four largely wasted (literally and figuratively) years on campus.

Sorry Left AND Right, No Job Requires A College Degree - Forbes

It seams kind of silly point to make. A requirement is just that, a requirement. If I am hiring people into my business, and I tell my human resources director to toss all applications from people without a college degree into the trash can....um....guess what.

It seams kind of silly point to make. A requirement is just that, a requirement. If I am hiring people into my business, and I tell my human resources director to toss all applications from people without a college degree into the trash can....um....guess what.

What college degree actually guarantees that the person you hire is going to be great at your business?

What college degree actually guarantees that the person you hire is going to be great at your business?

It's not that a degree guarantees that someone is going to be successful, it's that the chances a candidate will be able to do the job dramatically increases if they've got a college degree in the field.

I have no use for a lawyer that never went to college.

There are never any guarantees. But I (in his hypothetical example) have to use some criteria to screen applications. Depending on the specific job, I might throw a lot of applications from 'liberal arts fluff' college grads into the waste bin also. I might want a combination of some base of acquired knowledge, an interest, ie someone who I can assume will not quit from boredom, and a willingness to see a project through to completion.

Last edited:
We have to keep the myth alive. College will improve you chances of getting a good paying jobs. Consider the alternative..

We have to keep the myth alive. College will improve you chances of getting a good paying jobs. Consider the alternative..

Depends on the college.

A) Booze and Sex major; yup, probably a myth. You better have something more to draw an employers attention. There are a lot of these.

B) Hard knocks schools. You have to sacrifice and be pretty smart in the area of study just to graduate. Not a myth at all. People target these schools specifically for recruiting.

C) Name recognition schools. It is apparent you can buy a degree from Harvard now a days. And although it does not guarantee a job, it opens some doors not otherwise open to A or B above. Quasi-myth.

It's not that a degree guarantees that someone is going to be successful, it's that the chances a candidate will be able to do the job dramatically increases if they've got a college degree in the field.

How would you know if he graduated? DO you check his degree to make sure it isn't forged?

It is actually legal in 6 different states to be a practicing lawyer without having a law degree, in 4 of them you don't even need to have a single year of law school.

One of them is California.

How would you know if he graduated? DO you check his degree to make sure it isn't forged?

It is actually legal in 6 different states to be a practicing lawyer without having a law degree, in 4 of them you don't even need to have a single year of law school.

One of them is California.

Yes, I check.

I can see you're not a rocket scientist...

Rocket scientists generally don't solve for derivatives, they leave that to the computers.

So that means programmers have a better chance to succeed in a job if they have a degree in the relevant field. You just backed into another good example.

No I didn't.

Is a computer science degree worth the paper it's printed on? | Application Development - InfoWorld

Recently this writer participated as part of a television panel in which it was asked if there aren’t enough jobs that require a college degree for the coming glut of college grads. The question was a funny one, one that conferred on college grads skills much greater than those possessed by the average individual. Maybe, but not asked enough is what job requires a college degree? The truth is no job does, though politicians and policy analysts would have us believe otherwise.
President Obama regularly talks up the need for more math classes “to equip our children for the future.” The latter is odd and a bit dated, particularly when we consider that computers and calculators have largely made the need for math knowledge something of the past.
In Obama’s defense, he’s not alone when it comes to educational political correctness, and the need to get education right so that “our children” are prepared for a very challenging, and very globalized job market. Right of center thinkers are similarly deluded with utopian visions 0f universities “equipping” students with the knowledge needed to succeed in the real world after four largely wasted (literally and figuratively) years on campus.

Did you read the comments below the article. They're hilarious. You should read them.

Did you read the comments below the article. They're hilarious. You should read them.

Why would I read anything you say?

Rocket scientists generally don't solve for derivatives, they leave that to the computers.

So that means programmers have a better chance to succeed in a job if they have a degree in the relevant field. You just backed into another good example.

No I didn't.

Is a computer science degree worth the paper it's printed on? | Application Development - InfoWorld

While it's true that the vast number of programming jobs don't require writing programs that solve for derivatives, the ones that write the programs you referenced certainly do and that was the frame of reference for my comment.

That said, Computer Science as a major definitely sucks for any earning potential. It's too focused on theoretical research applications. Other majors that are more integrated into practical fields are better.

Forum List

Back