Tuition Dollars & Sense

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
The tuition charged is in part dependent on the amount of state support received by the institution. In the early 1970s the state paid for nearly 85 percent of the cost of running the educational side of The University of Texas at Austin. Today, the state-appropriated fraction of the total budget for UT Austin is below 20 percent. The growing gap between what it costs to run the university and what the state is able to contribute has been covered in part by private donations, efficiency and other actions taken by the university. However, if the university is to maintain delivery of the quality of education for which it has become known, it determined it had to ask the students attending the university to pay for an increasing share of that gap.
Tuition Costs : Tuition Dollars & Sense

The rasing the cost of Higher Education is the best to keep a poor, ill-formed working class.

It also helps to keep a ready pool of warm bodies for war. Poor join the Military for a pay check.

It also helps to prevent rich kids from being exposed to "Those People".

Rising unemployment places a larger burden on the state. Money has to be diverted away from other things like, say, colleges.

Colleges also went on a spending binge during the hurdy-gurdy days of the derivatives bubble. Big new buildings, gymnasiums, and halls. Lots of bond issues.

Then...crash!

Endowment fund ROIs plummeted. Interest rate swaps blew up.

"Who's gonna pay for all this stuff?"

Fun times, fun times.

The tuition charged is in part dependent on the amount of state support received by the institution. In the early 1970s the state paid for nearly 85 percent of the cost of running the educational side of The University of Texas at Austin. Today, the state-appropriated fraction of the total budget for UT Austin is below 20 percent. The growing gap between what it costs to run the university and what the state is able to contribute has been covered in part by private donations, efficiency and other actions taken by the university. However, if the university is to maintain delivery of the quality of education for which it has become known, it determined it had to ask the students attending the university to pay for an increasing share of that gap.

I'm willing to bet the base cost of the education has been raised considerable since the 1970's, also. I'm saying waaaay beyond inflation. :eusa_eh:

I'm willing to bet the base cost of the education has been raised considerable since the 1970's, also. I'm saying waaaay beyond inflation. :eusa_eh:

A building. Some chairs. A desk. Some chalk. Books.

That's all you needed back then for a college.

That's apples and oranges. What's the comparison of total budget then and now, or what's the comparison for educational side then and now?

Sure. Everything goes up. I don't know, but I would guess tht the average tenured Prof makes around $150,000 per.

To sit back and watch his TA actually do the "teaching"

And, no doubt the "state" schools have been watching the "for profits" - University of Phoenix, Devry, et al and have decided to jump aboard the gravy train, too.

Have to love it.

It used to be covered by the State GOVERNMENT..

Now it is covered by the Federal GOVERNMENT.

But it is not GOVERNMENT that is causing the tuition to rise.

Sometimes, it boggles.

Sure. Everything goes up. I don't know, but I would guess tht the average tenured Prof makes around $150,000 per.

Yeah right! Is that a joke?

EDIT - I just looked up the salaries of the professors that sat on my thesis committee. Two make ~90k, one makes ~70k. One, my advisor, makes 180k - after a 30 year career and serving as the director of one of LSU's largest research institutions.

You also neglect all the forgone salary and wages necessary to obtain a PhD and professorship. The road can be as long as 10 years long in a field like Physics. 5 years of graduate study and 5 years as a post-doctoral researcher. Then when you get hired, its 7 years until tenure can be attained.

When does that happen? In the LSU physics department TAs only teach labs and grade homework.

I think you're full of shit.

Last edited:

EDIT - I just looked up the salaries of the professors that sat on my thesis committee. Two make ~90k, one makes ~70k. One, my advisor, makes 180k - after a 30 year career and serving as the director of one of LSU's largest research institutions.

You also neglect all the forgone salary and wages necessary to obtain a PhD and professorship. The road can be as long as 10 years long in a field like Physics. 5 years of graduate study and 5 years as a post-doctoral researcher. Then when you get hired, its 7 years until tenure can be attained.

When does that happen? In the LSU physics department TAs only teach labs and grade homework.

add in all the benefits including retirement they receive I'm sure it comes out as a nice package for all of them.

add in all the benefits including retirement they receive I'm sure it comes out as a nice package for all of them.

And they should get paid crap instead?

If you think its such a great life why not go get a PhD?

Reason for rising college tuitions is not what the teabaggers tell you it is

So what does a bunch of perverts that love having a ball sack dropped in their mouth have to do with this topic?

Or do you have a fantasy of ball sacks in your mouth?

Uhm, what do you think an ever increasing amount of federally guaranteed loans for everything from PhD's in Vagina Studies to Druid Philosophy does to tuition costs?

It's like anything else, drive up demand and throw all kinds of money at it and the cost will go up...

ted cruz for president? You realize that even trump has problems w/ him being born in canada & having dual citizenship?

ted cruz for president? You realize that even trump has problems w/ him being born in canada & having dual citizenship?

Well, well, well... look who's a BIRFER now...
hahaha-024.gif

Forum List

Back