Sorry Left AND Right, No Job Requires A College Degree

So that means programmers have a better chance to succeed in a job if they have a degree in the relevant field. You just backed into another good example.

No I didn't.

Is a computer science degree worth the paper it's printed on? | Application Development - InfoWorld

While it's true that the vast number of programming jobs don't require writing programs that solve for derivatives, the ones that write the programs you referenced certainly do and that was the frame of reference for my comment.

That said, Computer Science as a major definitely sucks for any earning potential. It's too focused on theoretical research applications. Other majors that are more integrated into practical fields are better.

No one I who writes open source code has a degree.

While it's true that the vast number of programming jobs don't require writing programs that solve for derivatives, the ones that write the programs you referenced certainly do and that was the frame of reference for my comment.

That said, Computer Science as a major definitely sucks for any earning potential. It's too focused on theoretical research applications. Other majors that are more integrated into practical fields are better.

But your argument was that rocket scientists didn't need degrees because solving for derivatives was done by computer programs. So those programmers need to know how to solve for derivatives to write those programs yes?

And it doesn't matter who you know. What matters is whether a college degree in a field increases the chance for success and in programming there is a direct correlation. I have never required degrees for programmers I've hired over the years, but most of the ones that have done well did have college degrees.

How many programmers that made over $100K in actual earnings annually by the time they were 30 did so without a college degree?

From your article:

If I had picked up a degree, I would have missed the entire dot-com boom and graduated during the ensuing recession with no experience carrying a load of debt. Instead, I stayed gainfully employed through all but a month or two of the bust and joined a successful startup as the economy picked up.

The funny part is that it was during the recession following the dot com bust that I founded my first successful company and I still get paid well from it for part time work now. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I had not taken my course of study in college.

More from the article:

But is teaching yourself to code sound advice given today's grinding economy? If you believe the headhunters, the national unemployment rate for the technology sector is 5 percent. If you recall, 5 percent unemployment is supposedly "full employment," where everyone who wants a job has one.

5% is somewhat considered "full employment" overall. It is not considered full employment for any given field. If the author had taken an economics course in college perhaps he'd know that.

Rocket scientists generally don't solve for derivatives, they leave that to the computers.

So that means programmers have a better chance to succeed in a job if they have a degree in the relevant field. You just backed into another good example.

No I didn't.

Is a computer science degree worth the paper it's printed on? | Application Development - InfoWorld
As a "self-taught technologist", I have to say that I wish I had a degree. And if I was younger, or had it to do over again, I definitely pursue one. My son just finished his and his starting salary will be more than I'm making, so there's also still the difference in earning power to consider - even of some employers consider the self-taught 'better hires'.

Last edited:
A key indicator from the article:

Our most successful employees have been nontraditional hires. One of my most valuable players has a doctorate in music, got promoted on his first assignment, received wild raves from clients, and now leads large integration projects. I have another fellow who we hired directly from an Apple Store. On his first assignment, he developed the AJAX UI for a multi-billion-dollar financial institution that the client loved.

So this isn't a rant saying that college is useless, it's a rant saying that Computer Science as a major is not worth much.

Case in point, he says a person with a doctorate in music is one of his "most valuable players."

So again, the OP has backed into an example that disproves his point.

But your argument was that rocket scientists didn't need degrees because solving for derivatives was done by computer programs. So those programmers need to know how to solve for derivatives to write those programs yes?

And it doesn't matter who you know. What matters is whether a college degree in a field increases the chance for success and in programming there is a direct correlation. I have never required degrees for programmers I've hired over the years, but most of the ones that have done well did have college degrees.

How many programmers that made over $100K in actual earnings annually by the time they were 30 did so without a college degree?

Bill gates
Mark Zuckerman
Steve Jobs

Get the picture?

No I didn't.

As a "self-taught technologist", I have to say that I wish I had a degree. And if I was younger, or had it to do over again, I definitely pursue one. My son just finished his and his starting salary will be more than I'm making, so there's also still the difference in earning power to consider - even of some employers consider the self-taught 'better hires'.

The article criticizes that value of a BSCS, not the value of a college degree. And he's right. QW is wrong though.

Bill gates
Mark Zuckerman
Steve Jobs

Get the picture?

Yes.

Now how many of them do you know?

3 out of over a million is a very low success rate. Someone who took a college level statistics class would know that.

From your article:

If I had picked up a degree, I would have missed the entire dot-com boom and graduated during the ensuing recession with no experience carrying a load of debt. Instead, I stayed gainfully employed through all but a month or two of the bust and joined a successful startup as the economy picked up.
The funny part is that it was during the recession following the dot com bust that I founded my first successful company and I still get paid well from it for part time work now. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I had not taken my course of study in college.

Why not? That is not just me snarking, I seriously want to know why you think you wouldn't have been able to do what you did unless you learned what you did in school. Why would you option to be an autodidact, and studying the exact same thing, not have produced the same result?

Don't get me wrong, there are times I can see the advantage of formal schooling. For one thing, I wouldn't have wasted time learning things that I later figured out where useless. Then again, I wouldn't have learned about all the interesting trivia either, but I still don't see the value of a degree, especially an advanced one. Most masters, and doctoral, thesis don't really delve into new knowledge, they just rehash old knowledge in a way that stokes the egos of the thesis committee.

(The last sentence is a paraphrase of what a multi doctorate told me, so don't take it out on me.)

Forum List

Back