son has gun fever....

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i know what it is....i have seen it before and i know the results....that conceal carry is burning a hole in his pocket..it does seem....

so a few weeks ago he mentions that perhaps i could chip in on a taurus judge...i told him no...not gonna happen....so last night his g/f texts me and asks if i want to go in with her on the gun....i said no...and told her to stop letting him guilt her....with it is the only thing he wants and that 500 bucks is way too much for anyones birthday gift....she mentions he needs it for home defense....the poor girl has no clue about weapons etc.....i tell her he has a pistol, two shot guns and a rifle...what he needs is adt...now keep in mind last time he was with me...he mentioned wanting his 30/30...i told him to get it and take it...thus adding to his collection....

my rant...how do i stop the gun fever....i feel like now....giving him the entire collection will not help....my father was never into hand guns that much.....so its all rifles and shot guns...and he suddenly has a hard on for pistols....

all suggestions are welcome....

I hate to tell you this, but there is no known cure.

The trick is to get him to save for any firearm he wants. Tough sometimes, but maybe it'll work.

he needs new tires and to pay me back first......i was afraid there was no cure......the worse part.....rifles and shot guns i would roll with.....lol....i understand that...wanting a nice ass shot gun....or an exceptional rifle...it really is the way we are raised...isnt it.....i just dont get the pistol fever....

Give him a joint or something, pal/OP

Sounds like he has an unhealthy appitie for guns

Teach him it's just a tool.

i know what it is....i have seen it before and i know the results....that conceal carry is burning a hole in his pocket..it does seem....

so a few weeks ago he mentions that perhaps i could chip in on a taurus judge...i told him no...not gonna happen....so last night his g/f texts me and asks if i want to go in with her on the gun....i said no...and told her to stop letting him guilt her....with it is the only thing he wants and that 500 bucks is way too much for anyones birthday gift....she mentions he needs it for home defense....the poor girl has no clue about weapons etc.....i tell her he has a pistol, two shot guns and a rifle...what he needs is adt...now keep in mind last time he was with me...he mentioned wanting his 30/30...i told him to get it and take it...thus adding to his collection....

my rant...how do i stop the gun fever....i feel like now....giving him the entire collection will not help....my father was never into hand guns that much.....so its all rifles and shot guns...and he suddenly has a hard on for pistols....

A judge for Concealed Carry?

Bit on the large side for that.

he is young...32....and just got his concealed carry....so he has gun fever....he has been taught...and told....but he has the fever ...what ya gonna do with grown ass kids?

good point will but i will give him this....you cannot tell he is carrying with his current pistol..which to me is kinda large...

but telling the g/f they need it for home defense.....really.....you are gonna do that to her....she is getting ready for a major life event and does not need this distraction...and they are coming for dinner this weekend....and what kinda person ask for a 500 birthday gift?

add to the mix and mess..his father is becoming very much an anti gunner.....so i walk a tight rope ....i am not an anti gunner but i am not proving it by helping son purchase fire arms

Trip to a morgue usually works. Show him the end result of guns.

If any of my kids, or grandkids asked for $100 birthday gift, I'd laugh in their face.

Bought both son in laws gun safes (more for family than them), for Christmas, most I've ever spent on them

lol d4 i come from a long line of gun owners....i own....hell i dont remember anyone in the family who doesnt....my father was never out of reach of a rifle or shot gun....i thought that was normal till i was in my mid 20s....we have never had an accidental shooting in the family.....we all believe in gun control....

add to the mix and mess..his father is becoming very much an anti gunner.....so i walk a tight rope ....i am not an anti gunner but i am not proving it by helping son purchase fire arms

I had a friend who caught the pistol fever and was pretty much incurable.

Luckily he had the money to buy the firearm he thought he wanted ... So I steered him towards one that would eventually be too expensive to shoot regularly.
After a while he had the cool pistol he wanted .. But finding the proper ammo and paying for it regularly became a burden that settled his urges and he leveled out.

Where that probably won't help with your son ... I guess my point is that you need to think about it sideways.
You know your son and some of the things that motivate him ... You have to locate the wedge that will split him from the pursuit.

Tell him to sell off his other guns if he wants to buy that one.

And maybe get hubby to sell off most of his own collection too.

That way the are fewer guns around to feed the fever.

i am gonna take it your a yankee....

we dont sell what was handed down....my son is slowly getting the collection of my father...i will only keep the first gun i owned...a .22...all else goes to him...then my hubby will inherit another collection from his father....

i checked my guns.....loaded rifle at back door...two locked shot guns in walk in in bedroom....i will back away from trouble as much as i can....but my bedroom is my last resort....my husband warns people if i am in the back of the house to make sure i can hear them come in....

84646580.png

i am gonna take it your a yankee....

we dont sell what was handed down....my son is slowly getting the collection of my father...i will only keep the first gun i owned...a .22...all else goes to him...then my hubby will inherit another collection from his father....

i checked my guns.....loaded rifle at back door...two locked shot guns in walk in in bedroom....i will back away from trouble as much as i can....but my bedroom is my last resort....my husband warns people if i am in the back of the house to make sure i can hear them come in....

In which case the gun fever is genetic so you need to treat it the same way you would an alcoholic in the family IMO. The rest of you know that guns are part of the furniture and treat them with respect. Your son has become obsessed to the point where he puts the value of the gun above commonsense and reason.

$500 is a lot of money for something that is not going to be "home defense", it is just an ego thing because he has a CCW permit and a gun to go with it already.

So now you need to tell him how being fiscally prudent is how you and your hubby made it in life and then tell him stories about those who wasted their money on toys, like cars, guns, clothes, etc.

Does he even have his own home to "defend" yet or is he renting a place somewhere?

Yes, as a 'yankee' I built my own first home at age 23 and moved into it at 24. None of my friends had their own homes but they did have cars and bikes and guns.

All just a matter of priorities. Your son needs to learn how to manage his own.

Forum List

Back