for 20 years, guys 'did it all" with 44-40,

May 21, 2015
and the Model 73 Winchester never had even 10% of the versatility and utility of a Silenced AR, with luminous sights, scope, trigger job and .22lr conversion unit. Wtf good is a rifle for which you've run out of ammo? what good is a 308 for dogs, cats, small game and livestock? The .22 unit adds so much utility that it's amazing, What is the point of making all that noise, as vs the silenced 223, or better yet, the subsonic .22lr thru the 223 silencer? How do you hide an M1A in your pack, or use it with just one arm? Have you got luminous sights for your shtf rifle? If not, it's nearly worthless, half of the time. Does your 308 scope return to zero if it's removed and replaced? The AR's scope does, in the carrying handle mount. Every time, cause the inside of the handle is a trapezoidal shape. Are your iron sights protected from damage if the rifle is struck or falls? You know, as in you DIVE prone, cause you're being shot-at! What good is a rifle with dented or broken sights?

Saxton Pope took a grizzly with a bow, back about 1920, and his guide, as "backup" had a 30-30. The model 94 or a Krag was considered a 'high-powered" rifle at the time. Funny how, nowadays even little deer 'require" a 300 Win mag or at the minimum, a 7 mm mag, and a 223 just bounces off of men at 300 yds, (150 yds if it's got a "mere" 11" barrel) I've twice seen deer shot, about 100 yds for each one, thru the lungs with Win White Box ball, 11.5" barrel and neither one ran 100 yds. One made it less than 50 yds, before going down hindlegs first. Both fell within my sight, from the spot from which the shooting was done. I've seen 308 ball do no better, from 20" barrels. With good softpoints, the shorty 223 hits just as "hard" as 308 ball. Not great, but not bad, either.

Hey, prison/con the OP says you are insecure in your masculinity in the thread:
The more adamant a male is about gun rights, the less secure they are about their masculinity

and the Model 73 Winchester never had even 10% of the versatility and utility of a Silenced AR, with luminous sights, scope, trigger job and .22lr conversion unit. Wtf good is a rifle for which you've run out of ammo? what good is a 308 for dogs, cats, small game and livestock? The .22 unit adds so much utility that it's amazing, What is the point of making all that noise, as vs the silenced 223, or better yet, the subsonic .22lr thru the 223 silencer? How do you hide an M1A in your pack, or use it with just one arm? Have you got luminous sights for your shtf rifle? If not, it's nearly worthless, half of the time. Does your 308 scope return to zero if it's removed and replaced? The AR's scope does, in the carrying handle mount. Every time, cause the inside of the handle is a trapezoidal shape. Are your iron sights protected from damage if the rifle is struck or falls? You know, as in you DIVE prone, cause you're being shot-at! What good is a rifle with dented or broken sights?

Saxton Pope took a grizzly with a bow, back about 1920, and his guide, as "backup" had a 30-30. The model 94 or a Krag was considered a 'high-powered" rifle at the time. Funny how, nowadays even little deer 'require" a 300 Win mag or at the minimum, a 7 mm mag, and a 223 just bounces off of men at 300 yds, (150 yds if it's got a "mere" 11" barrel) I've twice seen deer shot, about 100 yds for each one, thru the lungs with Win White Box ball, 11.5" barrel and neither one ran 100 yds. One made it less than 50 yds, before going down hindlegs first. Both fell within my sight, from the spot from which the shooting was done. I've seen 308 ball do no better, from 20" barrels. With good softpoints, the shorty 223 hits just as "hard" as 308 ball. Not great, but not bad, either.

Let me answer a few of the questions you asked.

My .308 is great for dogs, cats, small game & livestock. Granted, there is likely to be more meat damaged on the small game. (which is why I use a .22 for small game) But there is less chance of a wounded animal getting away with a .308.

If I decide to get a suppressor, they make great ones for .308 rifles too.

I have no need to hide my M1A in my pack. If you are talking SHTF, why would I want my primary battle inaccessible?

Shooting my rifle with one hand is ridiculous. And so is shooting your AR. Neither will be accurate.

Yes, I can remove my scope and it returns to zero. Spend a few bucks on the right mounts and it is easy.

The sights on my M1A are very sturdy. Unless you dive with your rifle upside down, it shouldn't land on its sights. Now with a pistol grip and trying to shoot one-handed it might be different.

Once again you want to compare premium .223 ammo to .308 ball ammo. Put premium ammo in both rifles and the .308 will be more accurate at a greater distance. And will bag game at a greater distance as well.

As for what you have "seen", its funny you didn't use these "experiences" before in discussions. Which leads me to wonder whether it is pure fantasy or shooting at night? I have killed plenty of deer with suitable deer rifles. I had one deer run about 30 yards. None of the others went that far. Most fell within a few feet of where they were standing when I shot them.

As for the advantages of a .22lr, I agree. That is why I have 4 of them (5 if you count the old Remington single shot I inherited). I own a pair of .22lr rifles and a pair of .22lr handguns. One of the handguns even converts from ,22lr to .22WMR for added versatility.

Forum List

Back