Solar goes Diesel

Discussion in 'Energy' started by mdn2000, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I am here in Spain talking to my Spanish co-workers about Solar in Spain and they state underneath the Solar Power plants are Diesel generators.

What a great green solution.

Further they state the electrical rates are sky-high and going up ever more.

I did a quick search and found these articles on Solar-Diesel. So I have a co-worker tell me this and I get confirmation on the web.

Further there are holes in the tubing for some of the Solar farms so they now need my work, NDE inspection, I thought this was renewable, now it needs replacement and repairs, that is not green.

The insanity of greenery | Watts Up With That?

World first solar diesel power station launched at Marble bar | TopNews Arab Emirates

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    :doubt:

3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,118
    If this is legit...wow.

4. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,118
    Hmmm...I located a couple stories that this plant indeed has a Diesel turbine generator.
    They purchased it from Man Roland.

5. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Another article with a bit more information, now I need to do the same search on Wind, in Palm Springs they have a fossil fuel plant right in the middle of the Wind Farms.

Spanish Solar-Panel Trade Group Calls for Fraud Investigation - BusinessWeek

6. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,118
    You know...you would think that someone would notice this sooner.
    Maybe wonder just how was the moon creating energy?

7. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    It was the Moon Bats spinning the wind turbines.

8. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Citing a blog site headed by goofy Anthony Watts isn't proof of anything really. Can we use the same empty criteria? Should be fun.

You:

"I have facts! Looks at these people who think like I do and have their own web site!! Why do you ignore me!!!!"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I see how you back up everything with fact, I actually included four sources, one a man who lives here in Spain.

Its nice to see that Jiggs needs to cherry pick what Jiggs responds to, nice partisan hack you are.

On top of Cherry Picking a thread, Jiggs needs to demean the blogger. Of course the blog links to sources, I guess Jiggs must ignore this as well.

If this is your argument I cant wait to see one of your threads you started months ago.

Go ahead, bump one.

10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    Hey look, mdn, they are very happy with solar this year in Germany because it doesn't require water to keep pumping out power.

German power supply cuts can be offset by solar | Reuters

LONDON | Fri Jul 9, 2010 9:45am EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - Germany is being hit by an extreme heat wave, fuelling concerns of power supply cuts by plants that rely on river water for cooling, but the country's vast solar capacity should be able to avoid supply shortages, traders said.
    During Germany's last severe heat wave in 2006, high temperatures resulted in large-scale power capacity cuts as several major power plants had to shut down to avoid further rises in water temperatures.

"Should temperatures stay in the 30s (degrees Celsius) for a couple of weeks, then I'm sure we'll see large capacity cuts this year too, but many traders have overlooked the increase in German solar capacity since 2006, which I expect will pretty much offset all cuts we might see," one utility trader said.

German solar power generation capacity has increased more than three fold from around 2,800 megawatt (MW) in 2006 to around 10,000 MW this year, according to the German environment ministry.

The Germans have the equivelant of 10 nukes in the solar they have installed. No danger of reactor leaks, no need of cooling water, no waste to deal with. And after 20 years, well, they just keep pumping out the power.