Snow Day!

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
For the first time in 10 years, NYC Public Schools have been closed because of snow. My son is going to be so happy... it's his first one!

Me? Not so sure about this ... *sigh*

So what do you do to occupy your kids on a snow day?

For the first time in 10 years, NYC Public Schools have been closed because of snow. My son is going to be so happy... it's his first one!

Give them chores. I'll bet there is a driveway that needs shoveling...

-Joe

-Joe

Good idea! But no driveway!! Co-op apt!

I could have him shovel the terrace, I guess. heh... He'd probably love that.

I should go buy him a shovel. We've never had enough snow since he was born to warrant us having one. ;)

When mine were little, if it were 'good snow,' they'd go out to play in it. Afterwards, hot chocolate and lunch. Then we'd bake, sometimes several things. Nothing like being in the kitchen with snow coming down!

-Joe

I should go buy him a shovel. We've never had enough snow since he was born to warrant us having one. ;)

The streets are too treacherous to get the kids to school, but K-mart is open?

That seems weird to me…

-Joe

The streets are too treacherous to get the kids to school, but K-mart is open?

That seems weird to me…

-Joe

is that true? lol.. I don't have a KMart here.. but I have a strauss store. There's a hardware store about a mile or so away, but getting there would be a nightmare. Somehow I figure my car is going to need to be shoveled out of the parking lot.

not a bad idea. not sure how much the boy is gonna like baking, though. lol.

Mine seemed to like to make what they liked to eat. Today they make many things better than me. Their idea of 'good date' is to cook dinner for their girl! :lol:

My parents used to give me a shovel and tell me to "make myself useful".

I hear ya---I was raised in Minnesota and on the very rare school snow days, I was put to work shoveling dad's car out of the drift that covered it so he could get to work. yuck

when i was a kid, i remember us having this little red sled that my folks used to pull me around on. (no hills, so human power only). but we haven't had enough snow in years to even use a sled... although I'm told that there was a snow day five years ago that I forgot about.

my son is the happiest kid in the world right now. lol.. I'm going to take him out for breakfast and then we'll go buy greens for the rabbit. After that, I suspect boredome will set in fairly quickly. ;)

A day with his Mom?

Play board games, eat junk food and make a holiday of it.

He'll be leaving home before you know it.

Cherish this opportunity, Jill.

If he gets on your nerves, lace his kool aid or other beverage of choice with 100mg of benadryl and let him sleep until it's time for school tomorrow.

-Joe

have him make a Snowman with the terrace snow, before shoveling!

with him, you can gather the hat, scarf, nose and eye and mouth objects, buttons down front objects too..... to decorate the snowman with! :)

When mine were little, if it were 'good snow,' they'd go out to play in it. Afterwards, hot chocolate and lunch. Then we'd bake, sometimes several things. Nothing like being in the kitchen with snow coming down!

Me too. Make a snowman then have "high tea" or "high cocoa".

We'll have tea with cream and sugar, or hot chocolate, depending on what I feel like, and little sandwiches (again, depends on what's in the cupboard. Cucumber and butter, tunafish, egg salad, whatever), cookies (last time we actually had tinned shortbread). The kids get to put in their own milk and sugar and have saucers instead of mugs (they're younger than Jillian's. I'd make him serve, I did it to my boys when they were older, lol.)

And depending on what there is in the cupboard and the fridge, I cook, too. I usually have flour and yeast, so I can always bake bread or rolls. I usually have a cake mix, if I'm not into bread. But if it's a snow day unless we walk we don't go to the store, so we use what we have in the house. If I have a roast or a ham in the freezer, I pop that in...or a chicken, and just let it cook.

And the rest of the day is about snuggling and reading.

Right now I'm reading my daughter's annotated, illustrated fairy tales book. We read Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and The Frog Prince last night.

Tonight I think The Juniper Tree (or...My Mother Killed Me and My Father Ate Me). The kids are really fascinated by cannibalism and desertion right now, lol. It seems to be a pretty common theme in fairy tales.

Anyway, that's what we do on snow days.

when i was a kid, i remember us having this little red sled that my folks used to pull me around on. (no hills, so human power only). but we haven't had enough snow in years to even use a sled... although I'm told that there was a snow day five years ago that I forgot about.

my son is the happiest kid in the world right now. lol.. I'm going to take him out for breakfast and then we'll go buy greens for the rabbit. After that, I suspect boredome will set in fairly quickly. ;)

Listen to Rush Limbaugh, and then Sean Hannity after that together...
surprised-004.gif
happy-127.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back