Smoking Bans

Should Smoking be Banned in Businesses?

• Total voters
I smoked for 40+ yrs. Loved it.
I've been smoke free for 3-4yr. now. Hate it.
Smokers are as much a part of the public as anyone and deserve to be accommodated no less than rabid health Nazis. Public places should offer smoking areas by law.

I quit smoking for six years once. I hated every day of it. Long after the withdrawal was gone I still hated not smoking. I went back for ten more years. Then I had an Ecigarette. I haven't had a cigarette since and never miss it.
I want to quit. I have before. I am not a heavy smoker by any means. Maybe just over half a pack per day.
On the golf course I may smoke one every three holes. More if I have a few beers. I still want to quit though.
I was on vacation the day New York State started its ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. Ya know, it isn't so bad.

Would you support a public pool with a sign that says "peeing welcome"?
I don't go to those filthy places to begin with. I can't stand cigar smoke but when it was legal I didn't whine about it.

You're sidestepping. :dance:

Let's say you own a business -- let's say a hotel. And it's got a pool. Along comes the big bad State to regulate you out of existence with a law that says you can't let people pee in it. What do you say?
What the fuck does pissing in a pool have to do with smoking? And "I" am sidestepping?

Smatter? Nervous?

It's been analogized, pretty well I think, that allowing people to smoke in a room with non-smokers is like allowing people to pee in a swimming pool.

Quit dancing. State says no pee. YOU say what?

The pole says you uber tolerant liberals are in the minority opinion. Bite that off & smoke it

What "pole" is that? Sounds like a personal problem.

Here's some numbers from an actual Gallup poll though...

3crks9ko0e6cldsnh0j9na.png

Look -- here's one for the Deniers:
_sfyvfxzm022xt8b-cojfq.png

Poll linked here. With guy wires.
A pole about how people FEEL with regards to the dangers of second hand smoke? Everyone's a doctor now?

This thread is stupid. It's water under the bridge at this point.

Another dance?
You made reference to a "pole" -- I figured you meant poll. Since we didn't have one I went and got one that relates to this thread.

I was at Wal Mart the other day and saw some hipster queer wandering around with one of those vaporizers. Seriously, I'd rather smell smoke than see something so gay again in my lifetime.

One of those everyday scenes that etches in one's mind... eight year old boy whining,
"Mo- om!! I can't find my shirt!"
Wise mom who's heard this before calls back:
"Did you LOOK??"
Kid says, "noooo...." :banghead:

Still haven't seen anything that proves second hand smoke causes cancer.....

Did you LOOK?

No --- not in here:​

Head-in-sand.jpg

More like in here?

Or in here?

Or in here?

Or in here?

Here? Here? Here?

What the flying fuck dood? You actually need instructions on how to Google?

As early as 1986, the U. S. Surgeon General concluded:
1. Involuntary smoking is a cause of disease, including lung cancer, in healthy nonsmokers.
2. The children of parents who smoke compared with the children of nonsmoking parents have an increased frequency of respiratory infections, increased respiratory symptoms, and slightly smaller rates of increased lung function as the
lung matures.
3. The simple separation of smokers and non-smokers within the same air space may reduce,
but does not eliminate the exposure of nonsmokers to environmental tobacco smoke. --- 2nd link above
Denialists... smh

I was at Wal Mart the other day and saw some hipster queer wandering around with one of those vaporizers. Seriously, I'd rather smell smoke than see something so gay again in my lifetime.

Some folks just can't be pleased. I think electronic cigs may be one of the best inventions of out time.

You probably think people using straws is upsetting too?

If they help people quit, I don't care what the hell they look like.

Some folks just can't be pleased. I think electronic cigs may be one of the best inventions of out time.

man , i was just busting balls.

Sorry, with so many places banning e cigs it was hard to tell

they are gay as fuck looking, but I was literally a foot from the guy and it didn't affect me at all. Honestly I think he was vaporizing weed anyway LOL

they are gay as fuck looking, but I was literally a foot from the guy and it didn't affect me at all. Honestly I think he was vaporizing weed anyway LOL

I've heard they made one that does.

I skipped half the thread. I gotta say, it feels very very strange to side with Rightwinger on anything, but I do on this. Smoking should not be allowed in any indoor space open to the public.

In Utah it isn't allowed. It hasn't been for a long time. I think it should be viewed something like the health code. You could argue that private businesses should be able to serve food however they want. That would be freedom. You could argue that customers are free to choose other businesses that won't make them ill. Personally, I find it perfectly reasonable that private businesses be required to meet certain health standards in their food storage, preparation, and serving. I find it equally reasonable that businesses should be required to meet certain health standards in the air inside their establishment.

I totally get the argument for freedom, but I gotta say that in this case the freedom to breathe clean air trumps the freedom to smoke.

As a side note, how can people smoke? The smell alone makes me want to vomit. Add on the filth from the ashes and butts and the huge health ramifications and it just seems astronomically unlikely that anyone would choose to do it. Yet millions do. I don't get it.

Happily, my employer is even stricter than the state of Utah. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on their property even outside. The few who still choose to smoke have to hike more than 150 yards across the parking lot and out the gates to smoke.

I skipped half the thread. I gotta say, it feels very very strange to side with Rightwinger on anything, but I do on this. Smoking should not be allowed in any indoor space open to the public.

In Utah it isn't allowed. It hasn't been for a long time. I think it should be viewed something like the health code. You could argue that private businesses should be able to serve food however they want. That would be freedom. You could argue that customers are free to choose other businesses that won't make them ill. Personally, I find it perfectly reasonable that private businesses be required to meet certain health standards in their food storage, preparation, and serving. I find it equally reasonable that businesses should be required to meet certain health standards in the air inside their establishment.

I totally get the argument for freedom, but I gotta say that in this case the freedom to breathe clean air trumps the freedom to smoke.

As a side note, how can people smoke? The smell alone makes me want to vomit. Add on the filth from the ashes and butts and the huge health ramifications and it just seems astronomically unlikely that anyone would choose to do it. Yet millions do. I don't get it.

Happily, my employer is even stricter than the state of Utah. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on their property even outside. The few who still choose to smoke have to hike more than 150 yards across the parking lot and out the gates to smoke.

I don't know anyone can afford it. $6-10 a pack now?

If that's the price per pack, that's $2,190-3,650 a year for someone who only averages a pack a day. Ouch.

I say, "if that's the price" because I literally couldn't tell you if they cost 50 cents or $100 a pack. I've never actually even held a cigarette.

I can remember when they went from 35¢ a pack to 40.

Course, that was in 1960s dollars.

If that's the price per pack, that's $2,190-3,650 a year for someone who only averages a pack a day. Ouch.

I say, "if that's the price" because I literally couldn't tell you if they cost 50 cents or $100 a pack. I've never actually even held a cigarette.

It created a huge black market, plus I know folks who smoke for less than a buck per pack and it's perfectly legal what they do. I even know one gentleman that grew his own.

Smokers are no longer welcome in our society

No need to coddle their filthy habit
Of course not but hit that bong as you condemn them.

Ugly bitches are no longer welcome either but we tolerate them. Dumbass liberals have done far more damage than my smoking ever will but we tolerate your stupid ass as well.

Fuck off douchebag

Ugly bitches have always been welcome in bars. After a few drinks they don't look so bad

But ugly bitches are more socially acceptable than smokers

Smokers are no longer welcome in our society

No need to coddle their filthy habit
Of course not but hit that bong as you condemn them.

Ugly bitches are no longer welcome either but we tolerate them. Dumbass liberals have done far more damage than my smoking ever will but we tolerate your stupid ass as well.

Fuck off douchebag

Ugly bitches have always been welcome in bars. After a few drinks they don't look so bad

But ugly bitches are more socially acceptable than smokers

Gotta second the douchebag comment.

If it walks like a duck after all

Rightwinger, you are not society.

during the 1970's the anti smokers whine was: "we just want you smokers to stop smoking on airplanes", look where that has led us, bans everywhere and anyone who prefers to smoke is looked upon as some sort of criminal or worse..., a MURDERER !! :up:

i would bet if the libertards here AND across the entire U.S.A. would vote to execute all smokers the vote would about 78% in favor. :up:

Forum List

Back