namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
I was wondering if anyone has this. video chating. its freeware so all you need is a webcam and mic. and a lot of webcams have the mic installed. seems to be popular.
Im thinking of getting it but wanted to see if anyone here has it and how it works for you

or if you have something else let me know.

my daughter uses it all the time; she seems to enjoy it and i never hear her say anything about it being unreliable.

thanks. guess ill go webcam shopping. guess there's no secret to connecting them

Most operating systems are plug and play. Windows will see you have a new device you need to make sure you install the manufactures software first.

I was wondering if anyone has this. video chating. its freeware so all you need is a webcam and mic. and a lot of webcams have the mic installed. seems to be popular.
Im thinking of getting it but wanted to see if anyone here has it and how it works for you

I used to use skype a few years back. I wasn't happy with the way it worked. Granted, this was probably 4 or 5 years ago and it may work differently now than it did back then, but let me tell you how it used to work.

Essentially, if you were part of skype and downloaded their software, you became part of their network and part of their hosting service. What this means is that the skype software used part of your system resources whenever they needed it if you were connected to the internet (don't forget, cable internet is always connected). Skype would use my computer's CPU and RAM even when I wasn't using the service. Personally, I don't like the idea of a program just being able to access my computers resources anytime it wants to, so I removed the software.

Again, this was a few years ago, I don't know if the software still does the same thing.

I used to use skype a few years back. I wasn't happy with the way it worked. Granted, this was probably 4 or 5 years ago and it may work differently now than it did back then, but let me tell you how it used to work.

Essentially, if you were part of skype and downloaded their software, you became part of their network and part of their hosting service. What this means is that the skype software used part of your system resources whenever they needed it if you were connected to the internet (don't forget, cable internet is always connected). Skype would use my computer's CPU and RAM even when I wasn't using the service. Personally, I don't like the idea of a program just being able to access my computers resources anytime it wants to, so I removed the software.

Again, this was a few years ago, I don't know if the software still does the same thing.

thanks for the info. Ive already downloaded the software. "where's the camera moron??" im going shopping tomorrow

thanks for the info. Ive already downloaded the software. "where's the camera moron??" im going shopping tomorrow

From Skype's website,
https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10983/What-are-P2P-communications

snips,
At Skype, we believe a true P2P system connects all nodes in a network dynamically to participate in traffic routing, processing and bandwidth-intensive tasks that would otherwise be handled by central servers.
They utilize the processing and networking power of the end-users’ machines since these resources always grow in direct proportion to the network itself.

Each new node added to the network adds potential processing power and bandwidth to the network.

Sounds like they are still doing what I described. Using your system resources whenever they need it.

Use it all the time.
My wifes family is in Mexico...it is freakin awesome for her to be able to talk and see eachother at the same time.
And free.

Most Liberal posters on here have it.
They jerk off with each other / blaming Bush for all their short "cummings" - sometimes literally

Having family and friends scattered across the world, it's totally brilliant.

its more popular than I thought. I have 15 on board now. but I got a few that are afraid of or PC's in general

its more popular than I thought. I have 15 on board now. but I got a few that are afraid of or PC's in general

It's excellent. I use it almost every day.

I wanna try it internationally. only guy I know is a former officer i served with in Nam. he's in Thailand. im pushing, he's resisting. like tug a war

I've used it a lot to call the US, France, Australia, even Iraq, Afghanistan and stuff... totally cool.

Afghanistan was hinky a couple of times but that was issues with their internet system not Skype.

If he resists, you can call me. LOL

It's excellent. I use it almost every day.

I wanna try it internationally. only guy I know is a former officer i served with in Nam. he's in Thailand. im pushing, he's resisting. like tug a war

I've used it a lot to call the US, France, Australia, even Iraq, Afghanistan and stuff... totally cool.

Afghanistan was hinky a couple of times but that was issues with their internet system not Skype.

If he resists, you can call me. LOL

he's a bachelor. but if all else fails you may get the call. he's pissin' me off !!! also I have to post it on 2 WW2 forums im on. lotta international guys there

Forum List

Back